BMW X3 insurance group and cost
Compare car insurance costs for your BMW X3, by age and location.
The BMW X3 is marketed as a ‘Sports Activity Vehicle’, but is also synonymous with luxury, power, and elegance. The X3 first hit the roads in 2003, an SUV model that combines efficiency and power with a spacious and comfortable interior.
BMW X3 insurance cost by driver’s age
Average rates of insurance for the BMW X3
Our research indicates that you can be expected to pay an average of £56.09 each month in order to keep your X3 insured. If you’d rather pay your premiums annually it works out slightly cheaper, setting you back an average of £601.14.
Of course, every driver is different. We used the following research during our investigations:
- Driver was a thirty-year-old male teacher from Exeter.
- Factory standard alarm/immobiliser technology.
- Five years no-claims bonus.
- An average of 10,000 miles driven per year.
- This was the only car belonging to the driver.
- Used for social, domestic, and commuting reasons.
- Car parked in a driveway overnight.
- We identified the car as a 2018 model BMW X3 in all quotes.
- Comprehensive insurance.
What factors can affect my insurance premiums?
Car insurance premiums are not a uniform figure. While researching your own car insurance options, you’ve probably been made aware the extent to which different variables and different companies can change the amount you have to pay. We’ve collated some of the major determinants in insurance premium changes for you, see below:
- Where do you live? Insurance companies may adjust their quote if you live in an area deemed more at-risk from traffic accidents, for instance the comparison between a busy inner-city life and a car needing to be insured in a rural village.
- Fuel type. For the BMW X3, we identified that insurance differed based on the type of fuel consumed by your vehicle. On average, petrol models were £31.36 cheaper than their diesel equivalents.
- Mileage. How many miles do you drive a year, on average? The higher your mileage, the greater the chance you may be involved in a traffic incident requiring an insurance pay-out – and it’s in the insurance market’s job to take this into account.
- Driver details. Are you objectively a safe driver? You might be expected to see your premiums come down if you have a long no-claims bonus and no driving convictions.
- Transmission. Our research indicates that the transmission of your X3 may also have an impact on pricing. On average, vehicles in this model with an automatic transmission are £3.56 more expensive each month; that might not sound like a lot, but it works out at £42.72 every year!
How can I save money on my car insurance?
Everybody loves to save, and no insurance company is going to blame you for taking steps to keep your premiums low. In fact, as you’ll see below, they might actually reward you:
- How secure are your finances? We have found that if you pay your insurance annually as opposed to in monthly instalments, you can expect to pay £71.90 less! We acknowledge, however, that this may not be financially viable for some drivers.
- It’s definitely worth investing in additional safety features and add-ons if you can get a good deal on them. Additional measures to increase the safety or, in the case of tracking and alarm technology, security, of the occupants and the vehicle will be looked upon favourably by the insurance market. Your insurance quote will likely be brought down.
- Conversely, however, try to avoid modifying your car in ways that do not reinforce the safety of the vehicle. While racing add-ons and engine adjustments might make the vehicle a more exciting ride, you will almost certainly be deemed a greater risk to insure – and your premiums will go up!
- Try to be economical with how often you use your car – don’t lie when it comes to inputting your data for insurance purposes, but try to walk into town rather than drive. Not only will you bring your mileage down, you’ll be helping the planet too!
Facts about the BMW X3
- Generally, the ‘X’ in a BMW X model refers to it being a 4×4 vehicle. One in every three cars produced by BMW belongs to the X-class.
- The BMW X3 is actually lower on the price spectrum than other competing vehicles in the field, including the every-stylish Audi Q5.
- The 2018 model X3 is as much as 55kg lighter than the previous X3 model!
How safe is the BMW X3?
You wouldn’t be human if you weren’t concerned about safety when driving. When it comes to the BMW X3 you have little to fear.
The 2017 crash test process conducted by Euro NCAP gave the car a perfect five-star rating, praising in particular the safety offered for the driver and passengers. There was also significant praise offered about the vehicle’s low speed automatic braking technology, which was deemed to be successful enough to prevent whiplash and other injuries to occupants.
The safety measures offered by BMW for your X3 are extensive, often packaged into a collective ‘BMW Personal Co-Pilot’ group. This includes the standard autonomous braking, but at an extra cost you could install lane-departure warning technology and software that warns the driver of impending one-way streets and cross-road traffic. Ask your insurer what extra safety and security features you can add in return for lower premiums.
Compare insurance for other BMW models
More guides on Finder
Peugeot 3008 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 3008 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Land Rover Freelander insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Land Rover Freelander falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Renault Twingo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Renault Twingo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volvo S40 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo S40 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sorento insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sorento falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Vauxhall Viva insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Viva falls under and how much it could cost to insure.
Mazda CX 3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mazda CX 3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 106 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 106 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Abarth 595 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Abarth 595 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ford Ecosport insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Ford Ecosport falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert