BMW 1 Series insurance group & cost
Compare car insurance costs for your BMW 1 Series by age and location.
The BMW 1-Series is a family car with the touch of class personified by this German manufacturer. It’s one of the more affordable luxury sedans available to buy. In this guide, we’ll take a look at how much it costs to insure the car that was crowned ‘Best Family Car Interior’ at the What Car? awards earlier this year, and what you can do to keep premium costs down.
Insurers use a group rating system to help determine your premium – all cars get assigned a group, from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive). BMW 1 Series models fall anywhere from group 12 to group 41, meaning the cost of insurance for your BMW 1 Series can vary hugely. For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £791 for cover on a BMW 116d SE 5d model, or around £924 for a BMW M135i xDrive Sport Automatic 5d.
You can find the specific insurance group of your BMW 1 Series, and how much you’re likely to pay, by using the table below.
BMW 1 Series (2019 models) insurance cost by driver’s age
BMW 1 Series insurance cost by location
While the table above is a guide to the average cost of insurance for various BMW Series 1 models based on the driver’s age and car’s insurance group, there are many other factors that influence your premium, such as your occupation and marital status. Where you live also has a major impact on your rate.
To show the power of the postcode, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a 118d M Sport 5d.
- Expensive: £974 (London SE1)
- Average: £830 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £636 (Galashiels TD1)
Factors affecting BMW 1 Series insurance cost
Lots of factors influence the cost of car insurance, from the age, make and model of your car, to your age, driving history and location. Here are some that have the biggest impact on your premium:
- Engine type and capacity. You can expect to pay more for insurance on cars with larger engine capacities, even if they’re the same model. A 30-year-old may pay around £816 for the 1.5-litre petrol BMW 118i SE 5d, but could pay around £822 for the 2.0-litre diesel 118d Sport 5d.
- Driver location. If insurers perceive you to be responsible and less at risk of an accident, you’ll enjoy a lower premium, and where you live plays a big role in this. For example, a 30-year-old in central London will pay roughly £972 for insurance for a BMW 118d Sport 5d, whereas a 30-year-old in Newcastle may pay around £822 for the same model.
- Driver age. The age of the driver is the other factor that has the biggest impact on the cost of cover, with younger drivers likely to pay more than older drivers. A 20-year-old driver in London may have to pay around £1,691 for insurance for a BMW 118i M Sport 5d model, but a 40-year-old driver from the same location would only pay around £886.
- Learn about other factors that affect your insurance policy costs
How can I save on my car insurance?
If you like to save (and who doesn’t?), you’re in luck. Below we’ve collected some of the top factors that affect your insurance rate – and how you can save money!
- Annual payments.Monthly payment will often come with added interest, so you could end up paying more for your premium than if you paid it off in one lump sum each year.
- Personal information. While not something that is particularly easy to adjust, insurers take a driver’s personal situation into account when offering a policy. This includes age, sex, geographical location, and marital status. In simple terms, insurance companies like stability – and they’ll reward it with lower premiums.
- Modifications. Car modifications are a tricky business when it comes to car insurance. Insurers generally punish you for any add-ons designed to make the car faster with higher premiums (deeming you as a more at-risk driver). Investment in add-ons designed to compliment the car’s safety and security features, however, for instance tracking technology, are generally rewarded with lower premiums as these reduce risk for insurers.
- Credit History. Insurers will likely reward drivers with better credit histories and longer periods of no claims and no convictions.
Find the best BMW 1 Series insurance
Most insurance providers will offer policies to cover your BMW 1 Series, and you can compare a range of insurance quotes from leading insurers by clicking on the button below. BMW also offer annual car insurance policies, as well as complimentary seven-day insurance.
The car make and model you choose will significantly impact your insurance cost. In addition to this, your premium could vary depending on your age, driving history, location and the insurance provider you choose.
Frequently asked questions
Compare insurance for other BMW models
More guides on Finder
Vauxhall Vivaro insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Vivaro falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Hilux insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Hilux falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Citroen Saxo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Citroen Saxo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Suzuki SX4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Suzuki SX4 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Forfour insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Forfour falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Navara insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Navara falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota iQ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota iQ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Roadster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Roadster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jaguar XE insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jaguar XE falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Honda Accord insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda Accord falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert