Rates start at 3.5% with as little as 5% down. But only for SDCCU members.
Homeowners looking to refinance their mortgage will find good options at the San Diego County Credit Union. Choose from low fixed-rate and adjustable home loans, including a no-closing-cost 5/5 ARM. But you must live or work in San Diego, Riverside or Orange counties, or be a member of the Financial Fitness Association.
|Name||San Diego County Credit Union|
|Description||A credit union that operates in the San Diego and throughout California.|
Purchase, Refinance, Home Equity, Jumbo, Fixed, Adjustable, FHA, VA
|Minimum down payment||3.5%|
Expect closing costs and fees to include appraisal fees, title charges, closing fees and state taxes. SDCCU doesn't disclose actual costs, nor does it include fee estimates through an online mortgage interest rate calculator.
Ask your loan consultant for the specific fees associated with your pending loan, and keep an eye out for additional fees in your loan documentation.
Note that SDCCU offers a 5/5 ARM with no closing costs, but it applies to owner-occupied primary residences and external refinancing only.
Many users on other forums report issues with communication, online payments and customer service. But plenty of positive reviews offset the negative. Customers praise this lender for its great rates and easy approvals, along with its excellent customer service at branches.
Do I qualify for refinancing with SDCCU?
Factors that SDCCU consider when determining whether a homebuyer qualifies for a mortgage include credit score, debt to income ratio, how well you’ve managed prior credit and length of credit history. To find out if you might qualify for a home loan with SDCCU, go to SDCCU.com’s home loan mortgage page and click on Get Pre-Qualified. There you can fill out your personal and financial info to find out what you might qualify for.
What can I expect with SDCCU?
- Real estate service. SDCCU can provide a specialist matched to your needs who guides you through the process of buying a home.
- Up to 90% LTV. Loans are available for up to 90% loan-to-value, depending on your financial situation and the property you’re buying.
- No risk-based pricing. Many lenders use risk-based pricing to determine your interest rates and mortgage fees. SDCCU doesn’t, resulting in a more fair process for customers.
- Free online banking and e-statements. Manage your mortgage online easily.
Compare to other lenders
What are the benefits of getting a mortgage through San Diego County Credit Union?
- Low fixed and adjustable rates. Buy or refinance at terms of 10 to 30 years.
- Opt for no closing costs. A 5/5 mortgage offers flexibility and stability with the added benefit of no closing costs.
- Low down payments. Some products allow for as little as 5% down, making buying a home accessible.
- Lender-paid PMI options. With some products, SDCCU pays for personal mortgage insurance if your down payment doesn’t reach 20%.
- Solid support. This lender offers top customer service by phone, in person or online. It even offers a live chat option.
- Cash rebates. You can receive up to 20% cash back on your participating real estate agent’s commission.
- Online application. Get preapproved for loans and complete your entire application online.
What to watch out for.
- No nationwide coverage. You have to live or work in San Diego, Riverside or Orange counties, or be a member of the Financial Fitness Association.
How do I get started?
1. If you don’t already have an account, visit the SDCCU website and click Open an Account.
2. Click Open Now to get started.
3. Fill out all of the necessary information, then log in after your account is created.
4. Navigate back to the homepage and click Apply for a Loan.
5. Answer a few questions under Apply for a loan or resume application, then click Go.
6. Work your way through the application, confirming your personal and financial details before submitting for review.
You must live or work in San Diego, Riverside or Orange counties, or be a member of the Financial Fitness Association.
If you are refinancing, make sure you have the following information:
- Your current residence address, or addresses, for the past two years.
I got the mortgage. Now what?
- Review your loan agreement. Familiarize yourself with any prepayment fees or late penalties that could result from early or late payments.
- Secure important documents. Keep your mortgage paperwork together in a safe spot.
- Look into a homestead form. You may be able to get a reduction in your assessed value, which provides a discount on your property taxes, with a form saying you occupy the home you just bought.
- Reach out to SDCCU. Contact customer service at 1-858-453-2112 with any questions or concerns.
SDCCU puts its customers first with a commitment to fair products, low rates and excellent support. Through a selection of mortgages that include a no-closing-costs option, it could be the place for your next loan.
But as its name implies, SDCCU provides services to members in the San Diego area only. If you live elsewhere, compare top lenders and eligibility in our comprehensive guide to home loans.
Frequently asked questions