Redneck Rewards Checking account review
Go hog wild and earn up to 1.1% APY — but watch out for activity requirements and pesky fees.
If you want a fully digital checking account that looks like it was designed with Larry the Cable Guy in mind, the Redneck Rewards Checking account may be for you. It’s full of southern twang and personality. But most important, unlike most checking accounts this one pays interest. It boasts a 1.1% APY and up to $25 in monthly ATM rebates when you opt in to electronic statements and make at least 10 debit card purchases a month.
Up to 1.10%
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||1.10% on balances of $0 to $10,000 when you opt in to e-statements and make at least 10 transactions a month with your debit card |
0.25% on balances of $10,000+
|Minimum deposit to open||$500|
|ATMs||Redneck will refund up to $25 of foreign ATM fees each monthly statement cycle|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||Redneck will refund up to $25 of foreign ATM fees each monthly statement cycle|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0.75|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$25|
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Redneck Rewards Checking account puts you high on the hog with 1.1% APY and up to $25 in ATM rebates, but only when you opt in to e-statements and make at least 10 transactions a month with your debit card.
If you don’t think you can meet the monthly transaction requirements, you might find another interest-bearing checking account that doesn’t require as much work, like the NBKC Personal Account.
What are the benefits of a Redneck Rewards Checking account?
The FDIC-insured Redneck Rewards Checking account comes with online and mobile banking among other benefits:
- Interest-bearing checking. Earn 1.1% APY on the first $10,000 in your account and 0.25% on balances above $10,000 when you meet monthly activity requirements.
- International ATM refunds. Redneck Bank refunds up to $25 in ATM fees worldwide each month when you meet monthly activity requirements. Otherwise, expect to pay $0.75 plus operator fees each time you withdraw funds.
- No monthly maintenance fee. You don’t have to worry about pesky monthly fees eating into your balance with this checking account.
- No minimum balance. After an initial $500 deposit, you aren’t required to maintain a stated amount to earn interest.
What should I look out for?
The digital Redneck Rewards Checking account comes with potential drawbacks to weigh against the strong interest rate:
- Monthly activity requirements. To earn up to 1.1% APY, you must opt in to electronic statements and make at least 10 transactions a month with your debit card. Otherwise, your APY reverts to 0.25% on your total balance.
- Cap for online bill pay. Unlike checking accounts at other banks that offer free bill pay, this one limits you to 10 free online bill pay transactions a month. After that, you’ll pay $0.50 for each transaction.
- High opening deposits. You’ll need at least $500 to open this account. That’s on par with other interest-bearing checking accounts, but it’s much higher than everyday checking accounts.
- Paper statement fee. You must opt out of paper statements to avoid a $3 monthly fee.
- Online bank. This is a fully online bank. If you prefer to do your banking in person, you’ll want to look elsewhere.
If you want a high-yield checking account that doesn’t have as many activity requirements or fees, compare other interest-bearing checking options.
Redneck Bank’s ATM network and fees
Redneck Bank is a fully digital bank that doesn’t have its own ATM network. Instead, it relies on a third-party network of more than 1,000 ATMs nationwide.
You’ll pay $0.75 plus ATM operator fees each time you withdraw cash. But Redneck Bank reimburses up to $25 in fees when you meet the monthly activity requirements.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I open a Redneck Rewards Checking account?
New customers can sign up for a Redneck Rewards Checking account in eight steps:
- Go to the official Redneck Bank website and click High Interest Accounts.
- Select Redneck Rewards Checkin‘ Account in the drop-down menu and click Open Account.
- Select Redneck Rewards Checkin‘ Account from the product list and click Start Application.
- Select that you’re a new customer and click Continue.
- Enter your name, email address, Social Security number, date of birth, citizenship status, US residential address and employment status.
- Review the account agreements, answer the security question and click Continue.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity, review and submit your application.
- Set up your initial deposit from another bank account.
Your Redneck Bank debit card should arrive in the mail five to 10 business days after you fund your new account.
The Redneck Rewards Checking account is open to those who meet specific requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Valid Social Security number
- Initial deposit of $500
You’ll need the following information when you apply online:
- Full name, date of birth and email address
- US residential address
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state ID number
- Employment status
- Mother’s maiden name for security question
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Here are all the ways you can deposit and withdraw money from your Redneck Rewards Checking account.
- Direct deposit
- Check via US mail
- Mobile check deposit through the bank’s app
- Wire transfer
- ACH transfer from another bank
- Person-to-person transfer
- Transfer from a Redneck Mega Money Market account
- ATM withdrawal
- Cash back at a retailer
- Wire transfer
- ACH transfer to another bank
- Person-to-person transfer
- Transfer to a Redneck Mega Money Market account