Nationwide My Checking account review
Get unlimited ATM fee reimbursements with no minimum balance.
finder.com’s rating: 4.3 / 5.0
The Nationwide My Checking account, by Axos Bank, offers ATM fee reimbursements and no monthly maintenance fees. But perks offered to other Axos accounts are missing, such as overdraft protection.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
While Nationwide’s My Checking account comes with unlimited ATM fee reimbursements and no monthly maintenance fees, it’s missing a lot of the perks offered by other Axos Bank checking accounts.
Unlike other Axos Bank accounts, you won’t earn interest or get overdraft protection benefits.
How do I open a Nationwide My Checking account account?
Open a Nationwide checking account with Axos Bank in seven steps:
- Click Apply now.
- From the Nationwide by Axos Bank website, click Open an Account on the website.
- Select Open an Account under My Checking.
- Select whether you’re a new or returning customer.
- Create an account login and click Start Application.
- Photo capture your ID, or enter your information manually. Click Save & Continue.
- Enter details of how you want to fund the account and click Save & Continue.
- Review your details, accept the disclosures and submit to apply.
You must meet the following eligibility requirements to open an account:
- At least 18 years old
- US resident or citizen
- Must not have a credit freeze on your credit report
- $100 minimum deposit
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Social Security number
- US driver’s license or state ID
- Residential address
- Email address
What are the benefits of Nationwide’s My Checking account?
The account comes with the following benefits:
- Unlimited ATM reimbursements. Use any of Axos Bank’s ATMs for free and get unlimited reimbursements on ATM fees when you use out-of-network ATMs.
- No minimum balance. You need $100 to open your account, but after that, there’s no minimum balance requirement.
- Early direct deposit. This account comes with Direct Deposit Express, a free service that allows you to access your funds from a direct deposit up to two days early.
Axos Bank’s ATM network and fees
Your Nationwide My Checking account allows you to use Axos Bank’s network of 91,000 free ATMs across the country and it comes with unlimited ATM fee reimbursements on domestic ATMs.
Axos Bank is also a member of the Green Dot network, which allows you to deposit cash at Green Dot retail locations for a $4.95 fee.
What should I look out for?
Watch out for the following before you apply:
- No branches. As an online-only bank, expect to rely on phone calls and online tools for help.
- Missing Axos benefits. Axos Bank offers checking account perks, such as earned interest and overdraft protection, but none are available on the My Checking account.
If you want a checking account that earns interest or offers more features, check out the best accounts for your spending needs.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
This bank doesn’t have traditional bank branches, but you can access your money in several ways.
- ATM. Use an ATM to make deposits or withdraw funds for free. Domestic out-of-network ATM fees are reimbursed.
- Checks. You can write unlimited checks on this account.
- Mobile deposit. Use your phone to deposit checks.
- Wire transfer. Incoming wire transfers are free, but outgoing transfers are $35 for domestic and $45 for international wires.
- ACH transfer. Transfer money between banks over the phone or online for free.
- Green Dot Network. Deposit cash through a networked retailer for $4.95 for each deposit.
What other checking options does Nationwide offer?Nationwide offers the following checking accounts through Axos Bank:
- Interest checking. An interest-bearing checking account with no maintenance fees, early direct deposit, and domestic ATM fee reimbursement up to $30 a month. Your APY is tiered based on your average daily balance, starting at 0.10% for balances up to $2,499 and topping out at 0.40% APY for balances of $25,000 and higher.
- Direct checking. Pay no maintenance fees if you use direct deposit and get up to $30 a month in domestic ATM fee reimbursements.
- First checking. Teens aged 13 to 17 earn 0.25% APY with no monthly maintenance fees, no overdraft or insufficient funds fees, and daily transaction limits set by parents.
How to contact Axos Bank customer service for Nationwide accounts?
Contact customer service at any time of the week through these following options:
- Call 855-232-2967.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out the Request More Info form on the website.
- Send mail to P.O. Box 509127 San Diego, CA 92150.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.