Nationwide car insurance review Oct 2020
Excellent all around support, coverage, rates and more
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want great discounts, rates and support.
- Pick something else if you have a spotty driving history.
New car protection
|States served||All states except AK HI LA and MA|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, Monthly|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone|
- A.M. Best A+ Superior rating
- On Your Side Auto Repair Network
- Plenti rewards program
- Potentially high rates
- Inconsistent support
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Usage-based discount||Yes, 5-40%|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Nationwide is one of the largest insurance companies in the country, and it’s at the forefront of technology with programs like Auto Watch, which lets you keep track of your car repairs, and the EZ Ag app that helps farmers manage their unique accounts.
Though its prices may be a bit higher than the competition, this provider may be right for you for the high-quality service and accessibility. Agents are available by email, through an app, over the phone, in person and to chat online.
What's in this guide?
- Nationwide car insurance rates
- How to apply for Nationwide car insurance
- How do I find a Nationwide local agent near me?
- What discounts can I get with Nationwide?
- What car insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
- How does Nationwide bundling work?
- Nationwide car insurance reviews and complaints
- Pros and cons of Nationwide car insurance
- Alternatives to Nationwide
- Frequently asked questions about Nationwide
Nationwide car insurance rates
Example monthly rates can give you an idea of what you’ll pay when insuring with Nationwide.
|18 year old male||$146||$215|
|18 year old female||$146||$274|
|25 year old male||$89||$240|
|25 year old female||$89||$203|
|35 year old male||$77||$222|
|35 year old female||$77||$160|
|45 year old male||$73||$222|
|45 year old female||$73||$222|
|56 year old male||$72||$216|
|56 year old female||$72||$182|
How to apply for Nationwide car insurance
Nationwide’s website offers a straightforward application for auto insurance coverage. Whether you apply online, by phone or with an agent, get started with these steps:
- Start by visiting the Nationwide website, clicking Insurance and protection, then Auto.
- Enter your zip code, then click Get a quote.
- Enter your name, address and contact information, then continue.
- Enter vehicle information, including make, model, usage, etc., click continue.
- Add driver details including, marital status, occupation, etc., click continue.
- If you have prior insurance, add all details here, then click continue.
- Answer each question to see if you’re eligible for any discounts, then click continue.
- Review details, select desired policy options, then continue to begin purchase.
- Choose your policy start date, enter contact information, then continue.
- Enter your driver’s license number, employment details, then continue.
- Enter your vehicle’s VIN and odometer reading, then continue.
- Continue to enter any other information when prompted; add your payment details, then purchase your policy. If you run into any roadblocks, you can call an agent directly.
If you’d prefer to apply for coverage by phone, you can reach a Nationwide agent at (877) 669-6877.
Local agent. You can use Nationwide’s agent locator to get personal customer service near you.
How do I find a Nationwide local agent near me?
Find personalized service through one of Nationwide’s 10,000+ local agents. To find one near you, you can use the agent locator tool:
Nationwide agent locator
- From the main website, enter your ZIP code in the Find an Agent box. Click Go.
- View agents near you via the map or list.
- Choose your preferred agency and call or visit in person, using the contact info given.
What discounts can I get with Nationwide?
Nationwide offers a number of auto insurance discounts on its already competitively priced rates.
- Accident-free. Get better rates if you have at least five years of safe driving.
- Advance quote. Save up to 5% if you get a quote at least eight days before your start date.
- Airbag. Get up to 30% off medical payments coverage if your car is equipped with airbags.
- Affinity. Get discounted rates if you’re a member of a partner business or organization.
- Anti-theft device. Earn a discount if your vehicle is equipped with anti-theft technology.
- Defensive driving. Save up to 10% for completing an approved driver safety course. In some states, you must be over age 55 to qualify.
- Easy pay. Get a discount when you sign up for paperless billing and pay your bill with automatic withdrawals.
- Family Plan. Save when you add other members of your family or household to your Nationwide plan.
- Farm Bureau. Save up to 10% when you join the Farm Bureau.
- Good student. Students who hold a B average or above can get discounted rates.
- Loyalty. Save up to 5% if you stay insured with Nationwide for three years and up to 15% if you stay with Nationwide for five years.
- Multi-policy. Save up to 20% when you bundle your home, auto or other insurance policies together with Nationwide.
- New vehicle. Save up to 16% when you insure a car made within the last five years. The age requirements may vary by state.
- Paperless. Get a recurring discount when you switch to paperless documents.
- Telematics. Earn up to 40% off by joining Nationwide’s SmartRide program that gives you feedback for safer driving. The program uses a device plugged into your car to track your driving behavior.
What car insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
Most companies offer a standard set of coverage options to protect you while on the road. Nationwide offers:
- Collision. Pays for damage to your car if you hit another car or object.
- Comprehensive. This pays for damage to your car for reasons other than a collision, such as vandalism, theft, fire, hail or flooding.
- Liability. This covers expenses if you damage a vehicle or injure someone in an accident.
- Medical payments. This coverage helps with accident-related medical costs, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Personal injury protection. This pays for medical expenses, work loss, funeral costs and even services like home or child care if you get injured in an accident.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s car or other property.
- Roadside assistance. Reimburses you for towing and other roadside services if your car breaks down while traveling.
- Uninsured motorist. Provides bodily injury and property damage coverage if another driver causes the damage but doesn’t have enough insurance coverage to pay for it.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Nationwide offer?
Nationwide offers several special programs and features to benefit its customers:
- Accident forgiveness. This program helps you avoid rate increases for your first at-fault accident after going claim-free for a set timeframe.
- Auto Watch. This program lets you track your car’s repairs online.
- Member connections. Nationwide hosts town hall-style public events where members can speak up about their insurance experience and give feedback.
- On Your Side auto repair network. Nationwide has a network of auto repair shops that provide great service and guaranteed repairs.
- Plenti rewards. Sign up to earn discounts and cashback at major stores across the country.
- Vanishing deductible. This optional program lowers your deductible over time by $100 for every year that you don’t have an accident up to $500.
How does Nationwide bundling work?
Nationwide lets you bundle more types of policies to land a discount than many insurance companies. Nationwide’s bundling options include:
- Identity theft
- Accident medical
Nationwide car insurance reviews and complaints
Nationwide holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of October 2020. Despite its high rating, over 230 customers have filed BBB complaints. Customers are unhappy with denied claims, billing issues and unexpected rate changes.
That said, Nationwide has followed up on customer complaints in a timely manner, showing many of them marked as resolved. Keep in mind that most customers only go online to speak up about major issues with a product or service. It’s common to see multiple complaints but few positive reviews.
Nationwide user reviews
Pros and cons of Nationwide car insurance
- Strong financial rating. With more than $2 billion in assets, Nationwide affirms its superior ability to meet its ongoing insurance obligations.
- On Your Side repair network. Nationwide guarantees the workmanship on appraised and completed repairs for as long as you own or lease your vehicle.
- Convenient website. Nationwide’s responsive website is both convenient and attractive, making it easy for customers to learn, compare policies and file claims.
- Member resources. This provider offers a number of resources to educate and empower members to improve their driving and get better rates.
- Potentially high rates. Prices tend to skew on the high side for some drivers, especially those with a few black marks on their record.
- Inconsistent support. As a very large company, Nationwide offers many streams of communication — but customers complain that they aren’t always consistent.
Alternatives to Nationwide
See how Nationwide stacks up to other companies’ coverage, benefits and discounts. Check the Compare box to see up to four companies side by side.
Alternatives to Nationwide
Frequently asked questions about Nationwide
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.