Nationwide car insurance review Jun 2020
Excellent all around support, coverage, rates and more
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want great discounts, rates and support.
- Pick something else if you have a spotty driving history.
- Drivers with a clean driving record can get the cheapest rates out there.
New car protection
|States served||All states except AK HI LA and MA|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- A.M. Best A+ Superior rating
- On Your Side Auto Repair Network
- Plenti rewards program
- Potentially high rates
- Inconsistent support
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 15%|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Usage-based discount||Yes, 5-40%|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
Nationwide is one of the largest insurance companies in the country, and it’s at the forefront of technology with programs like Auto Watch, which lets you keep track of your car repairs, and the EZ Ag app that helps farmers manage their unique accounts.
Though its prices may be a bit higher than the competition, this provider may be right for you for the high-quality service and accessibility. Agents are available by email, through an app, over the phone, in person and to chat online.
Nationwide car insurance rates
|18 year old male||$1,750||$2,584|
|18 year old female||$1,750||$3,290|
|25 year old male||$1,064||$2,879|
|25 year old female||$1,064||$2,430|
|35 year old male||$929||$2,669|
|35 year old female||$929||$1,915|
|45 year old male||$876||$2,669|
|45 year old female||$876||$2,669|
|56 year old male||$869||$2,588|
|56 year old female||$869||$2,189|
Where is Nationwide available?
With a service area that stretches from coast to coast, Nationwide offers complete coverage in 46 states and Washington, DC. However, if you live in any of the following states, you may need to look for coverage elsewhere:
What car insurance coverage does Nationwide offer?
Most companies offer a standard set of coverage options to protect you while on the road. Here’s what Nationwide offers:
- Liability coverage. This can help cover expenses if you damage a vehicle or injure someone in an accident.
- Collision coverage. Pays for damage to your car if you hit another car or object.
- Comprehensive car insurance. Known as full-coverage auto insurance, this can help pay for damage to your car due to vandalism, theft, fire, hail or flooding.
- Medical payments. Often mandatory coverage that helps cover medical costs related to an accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage. Provides bodily injury and property damage liability coverage if you’re in an accident with an at-fault uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- Personal injury protection. This can help pay for medical and rehabilitation expenses, work loss, funeral costs and even replacement services.
- Property damage liability. Protects you if your car damages someone else’s property.
- Roadside and accident assistance. Reimburses you for the cost of towing and other roadside assistance expenses if your car breaks down while traveling.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Nationwide offer?
Nationwide offers a variety of special programs and features to extend coverage and accommodate its customers:
- SmartRide. This device plugs into your car’s diagnostic port to track your driving behavior. Nationwide uses the data to determine your discount, meaning you can save up to 40% for safe driving. Also, you’ll get an initial discount just for signing up.
- Vanishing deductible. This optional program allows you to reduce your deductible over time by driving safely. Your deductible decreases by $100 for every year you don’t have an accident up to $500.
- Accident forgiveness. While it only applies to your first accident, this program helps you avoid rate increases after an at-fault accident.
- Farm Bureau. Get discounts and accommodations from Nationwide when you’re part of an associated farm bureau.
- Family plan. The Nationwide family plan allows you to extend your discounts and benefits to members of your family that you add to your policy.
- Learning center. Nationwide’s website offers a suite of tools, tips and knowledge to help educate customers about driving and auto insurance.
- On Your Side auto repair network. Nationwide has a network of auto repair shops that provide great service and guaranteed repairs.
- Member connections. Nationwide hosts town hall-style public events where members can speak up about their insurance experience and give feedback.
- Plenti rewards program. Sign up for this partnership to earn discounts and cash back at major retailers across the country.
- Auto Watch. A program that lets you track your car’s repairs online.
What discounts can I get with Nationwide?
Nationwide offers a number of auto insurance discounts on its already competitively priced rates.
- Multi-Policy Discounts. Save up to 20% when you bundle your home, auto, life and other insurance policies with Nationwide.
- SmartRide® discount. Earn a discount by joining Nationwide’s usage-based program that gives you feedback to make safer driving decisions.
- Nationwide Family Plan. Save when you add other members of your family or household to your Nationwide plan.
- Accident-free discount. Get better rates if you have at least five years of safe driving.
- Paperless documents. Get a recurring discount when you switch to paperless documents.
- Good student discount. Students who hold a B average or above can get discounted rates.
- Anti-theft discount. Earn a discount if your vehicle is equipped with anti-theft technology.
- Easy pay discount. Get a discount when you sign up for paperless billing and pay your bill by electronic funds transfer.
- Affinity car insurance discounts. Get discounted rates if you are a member of a partner business or organization.
- Farm Bureau discount. Save up to 10% when you join the Farm Bureau.
- Defensive driving discount. Save up to 10% for completing an approved driver safety course. Some states require you to be over 55 to be eligible for this discount.
- New vehicle. Save up to 16% when you insure a vehicle made within the last five years, although the age of the vehicle may vary by state.
- Airbagt discount. Get up to 30% off medical payments coverage if your vehicle is equipped with airbags.
- Loyalty discount. Save up to 5% if you’ve been insured with Nationwide for at least three years and up to 15% if you’ve been with Nationwide for at least five years.
- Advance quote discount. Save up to 5% if you get a quote at least eight days before your policy start date.
Pros and cons of Nationwide car insurance
- Strong financial rating. With more than $2 billion in assets, Nationwide affirms its superior ability to meet its ongoing insurance obligations.
- On Your Side auto repair network. Nationwide guarantees the workmanship on appraised and completed repairs for as long as you own or lease your vehicle.
- Great website. Nationwide’s responsive website is both convenient and attractive, making it easy for customers to learn, compare policies, file claims and more.
- Member resources. This provider offers a number of member resources to educate and empower its customers to improve their driving and get better rates.
- Potentially high rates. Prices tend to skew on the high side for some drivers, especially those with a few black marks on their record.
- Inconsistent support. As a very large company, Nationwide offers many streams of communication — but customers complain that they aren’t always consistent.
- Credit check. Many providers won’t check your credit score when you apply for coverage. Nationwide, however, does.
Alternatives to Nationwide
Nationwide bundling insurance, explained.
Nationwide lets you bundle many types of policies that can land discounts up to 20% off your premiums. You won’t find this many options with some insurance companies. to land a discount, Nationwide’s bundling options include:
You can also buy other insurance policies from this well-known insurer like:
- Identity theft
- Classic cars
- RVs, travel trailers or campers
- Boats or personal watercrafts
- ATVs, snowmobiles and golf carts
- Special liability
- Accident medical
- Commercial auto
How to apply for Nationwide car insurance
Nationwide’s great website makes it easy and straightforward to apply for auto insurance coverage. Whether you decide to apply online, by phone or with an agent, here’s how you get started:
- Start by visiting the Nationwide website, clicking Insurance and protection, then Auto.
- Enter your zip code, then click Get a quote.
- Enter your name, address and contact information, then continue.
- Enter vehicle information, including make, model, usage, etc., click continue.
- Add driver details including, marital status, occupation, etc., click continue.
- If you have prior insurance, add all details here, then click continue.
- Answer each question to see if you’re eligible for any discounts, then click continue.
- Review details, select desired policy options, then continue to begin purchase.
- Choose your policy start date, enter contact information, then continue.
- Enter your driver’s license number, employment details, then continue.
- Enter your vehicle’s VIN and odometer reading, then continue.
- Continue to enter any other information when prompted; add your payment details, then purchase your policy. If you run into any roadblocks, you can call an agent directly.
If you’d prefer to apply for coverage by phone, you can reach a Nationwide agent at (877) 669-6877.
With an agent
For those who would rather apply for coverage with an agent, here’s what to do:
- Start by visiting the Nationwide website, then navigate to the auto insurance page.
- Instead of entering your zip code, click Find an agent.
- Enter your location or use the location tool to let the website locate you.
- Choose from the list of agents, then visit them in person or call them to set up an appointment.
Nationwide car insurance reviews and complaints
Nationwide is officially accredited on the BBB website since 1955. It holds an A+ rating and a composite score of 3.74 out of 5 possible stars. However, despite its great ratings, there are a number of complaints. Customers are unhappy with denied claims, billing issues and unexpected rate changes.
With that being said, Nationwide does a great job of following up on customer complaints, as many of them are marked as resolved. Either way, keep in mind that customer reviews are often more negative since most customers only go online to speak up about major issues with a product or service. This is why you’ll often see multiple complaints but few positive reviews.
How to contact Nationwide
There are a number of ways to contact Nationwide. While you can find more details on the contact section of its website, here are a few of your options:
- Phone: 877-669-6877
- Live chat
- Social media
- In-person via agent
Frequently asked questions about Nationwide
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.