Bethpage Federal Credit Union mortgage review
Offers high loan limits for purchase or refinances but its only branch locations are in Long Island.
Bethpage Federal Credit Union is a good option for first-time homebuyers because of its low down-payment options and competitive interest rates. But you’ll need to open a $5 savings account to become a member, and its brick-and-mortar locations are limited.
|Loan products offered||Conventional, Jumbo, FHA, Home Equity/HELOC, Refinance|
|Minimum credit score||Conventional: 620|
|Minimum down payment (Conventional)||3%|
|State availability||Not available in: TX|
Bethpage Federal Credit Union requirements
Although Bethpage doesn’t list all its requirements online, most lenders want a maximum debt-to-income (DTI) ratio between 36% to 38%. Borrowers should also have a credit score of at least 680 to mid-700s for the best rates, but Bethpage Federal allows for lower credit scores in some cases. Conventional loans require a minimum score of 620, and an FHA loan allows a credit score as low as 580 with a 3.5% down payment and between 500 and 579, if you can make a 10% down payment.
You’ll need to gather the following information before you apply:
- Paystubs covering the last 30 days
- Most recent two years of W-2 statements
- Two most recent bank statements
- Most recent two years of federal tax returns, including any schedules (if applicable)
- Attorney’s contact information
- Realtor’s contact information
- Executed and dated Contract of Sale
Costs and fees
Bethpage Federal Credit Union does not publish an itemized list of its closing costs but offers a closing cost estimator to give you an idea of what you can expect. Most lenders charge fees equivalent to between 2% and 5% of your loan.
Here are several common closing costs fees:
- Origination fee
- Closing agent fee
- Title report fee and insurance
- Appraisal fee
- Credit report fee
- Flood certification fee, if applicable
How to apply for a mortgage with Bethpage Federal Credit Union
Bethpage has two options for its home loan application. Its Mortgage Quick Apply lets you fill in some basic information, and a mortgage specialist will help you with the rest of the process. You can also complete a full application online.
Here are the steps to fill out the Mortgage Full Application online:
- Go to Bethpage Federal Credit Union’s website and select Apply for a Loan in the banner.
- Under Mortgage Loan, hit Apply Now.
- Select Mortgage Full Application.
- Hit Apply Now and create an account. Choose Continue.
- Give details about yourself — for example, your first and last name and credit history. Hit Next.
- Fill in information about the property — for example, address and property use. Select Next.
- Enter your employment information. Hit Next.
- List your assets and if you own any real estate. Choose Next.
- Choose which loan program you would like to apply to. Select Next.
- Accept or reject the Electronic Document Disclosure Agreement to receive your formal home loan disclosures electronically. Hit Next.
- Review your loan application and choose Submit.
What types of mortgages can I get through Bethpage Federal Credit Union?
Other mortgage products offered by Bethpage Federal Credit Union
- Investment Property. Investment property ownership for loan amounts up to $1,000,000.
- 10-year fixed. A home loan with a shorter, 10-year term, with interest rates as low as 2.750%.
- Refinance. Refinance your existing mortgage into a fixed-rate, adjustable-rate, FHA, 10-year fixed or jumbo home loan.
- Reverse. Also known as a Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, access your home equity while remaining in your home.
- HELOC. A home equity line of credit is a revolving line of credit that you can borrow from for an APY as low as 3.99%.
- Home equity fixed-rate loan option. Convert your HELOC into a fixed-rate, 10- or 20-year loan and carry up to three loan balances at one time.
How BFCU’s mortgage products compare to other lenders
Bethpage Federal’s mortgage offerings cover a wide range of loans, with conventional and government-backed loans, as well as jumbo mortgages and loans to purchase investment properties. The lender’s home equity and refinance options offer a lot of flexibility, as does the 10-year fixed-rate mortgage, which comes with a low APY and allows you to pay off your home faster.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Bethpage Federal Credit Union reviews and complaints
As of August 2021, Bethpage Credit Union has a 2.9 out 5 star rating on WalletHub from 68 customers and a 2 out 5 rating on Yelp from 65 customers. While some like the credit union, others have complained of poor service and delays in processing HELOC and mortgage applications, as well as technical glitches on the website.
In some cases, Bethpage has handled these delays by extending the 60-day rate lock period for no charge, as an example. But other customers have complained that long closing periods put their sale in jeopardy. And the most common complaint is poor customer service.
Bethpage Credit Union isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ business rating. It has a 1.46 out of 5 star rating from 13 customers and 65 complaints closed in the past three years.
Pros and cons of Bethpage Federal Credit Union
- Free 60-day rate lock. Bethpage locks in your interest rate for 60 days when it preapproves your application. If market rates increase, you’ll keep the lower interest rate. If interest rates fall, you’re stuck with the locked-in rate.
- No prepayment penalties. If you choose to pay off your loan early, you won’t be charged any penalties.
- Offers 10-year fixed-rate loans. Whether you’re buying a home or refinancing, the 10-year option comes with a lower interest rate, allowing you to pay less interest over the life of your loan.
- No residential mortgages in Texas. Bethpage offers home loans in all states, except Texas.
- Membership required. You must be a member of Bethpage Credit Union, which also requires a $5 savings account.
- In-person service is limited. The credit union allows fee-free ATM access through its co-op membership across the US, but all its branches are located on Long Island, New York.
What is Bethpage Federal Credit Union?
Bethpage Federal Credit Union opened its doors in 1941 to serve employees of the Grumman aircraft plant. Today, it serves over 400,000 members, offering membership to anyone who opens a savings account with the bank and deposits at least $5. Most of its members live in Long Island, New York. Bethpage has over $9.2 billion in total assets. It also offers banking, investing and insurance services.