Easy online quotes plus plenty of discounts
- Get a quote if you want fast online quotes and tons of discounts.
- Pick something else if you want the best customer support or have a luxury car.
- Ideal for drivers who want a cheap policy with extra features.
|States served||Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|New car protection||No|
|Accident forgiveness||Yes (paid addon)|
- Many discount opportunities available
- Add extra packages to your policy for the coverage you need
- Easily get a quote and file a claim online
- Your monthly payment could add up if you want lots of extra coverage options
- Customer complaints of poor customer service
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Free-A-Tree® Discount when signing documents online|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who is Kemper Direct best for?
You might be interested in insuring your car with Kemper Direct Direct if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to bigger brands, wrapped up in an easy experience online.
Kemper Direct Direct provides auto insurance for residents in 26 states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- South Carolina
What is Kemper Direct?
With headquarters in Chicago, Illinois, Kemper Direct Direct is the direct-to-consumer subsidiary of Kemper Direct Corporation that offers auto, home and renters insurance.
In 2000, a company called Unitrin Direct was founded as a subsidiary of Unitrin, Inc. Just two years later, Unitrin acquired Kemper Direct and combined and operated the two businesses as Unitrin Direct. In 2011, the company officially began operating as Kemper Direct Corporation, and Unitrin Direct became Kemper Direct Direct.
What car insurance coverage does Kemper Direct offer?
Kemper Direct offers standard and preferred auto insurance policies, with the option to add enhancement packages to fit your needs and budget. When completing your online quote, you’ll have the opportunity to browse through Kemper Direct’s coverage options and choose which ones make the most sense for you.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers the costs if you’re legally responsible for causing death or injury due to a covered auto accident.
- Property damage liability. Pays for the costs if you’re legally responsible for causing property damage due to a covered auto accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists. Covers death or injuries for you and your passengers if you’re involved in a car accident caused by an uninsured driver or one without adequate coverage.
- First-party benefits. Pays for expenses for you and your passengers such as medical bills, lost wages, accidental death and funeral costs that result from a covered car accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Collision vehicle coverage. Pays for damages to your vehicle caused by an accident that you’re legally responsible for. If you’re financing or leasing your car, you may be required to carry this coverage.
- Comprehensive vehicle coverage. Referred to as “Other Than Collision” coverage in Kemper’s online quote process, this covers the cost of damages to your vehicle caused by things like fire, theft, vandalism or hitting a deer. If you’re financing or leasing your car, you may be required to carry this coverage.
Kemper Direct car insurance rates
Kemper Direct positions itself as a low-cost alternative to other car insurance companies. However, your exact rates vary based on a number of factors, such as the make and model of your car, how many drivers are on your policy and your accident history.
What discounts can I get with Kemper Direct?
Kemper Direct offers lots of discounts to help you save even more on your monthly car insurance payment. Even better, most of these discounts are automatically applied to your estimate as you fill out your online application.
Kemper rewards loyalty more than most. You’ll get a discount for referring friends to Kemper, and you can get a discount depending on how long you stayed with your previous insurer.
- Multi-policy discount. Save even more when you insure your home, condo or apartment with Kemper Direct.
- Network discount. Refer a friend to purchase a Kemper Direct policy and you’ll both get a 10% discount.
- Free-a-tree discount. Save some trees and money when you go paperless and pay your bills online.
- Married discount. Married or in a legally recognized civil union? There’s a discount for that.
- Preferred payer discount. The more you pay on your policy upfront, the more you save. Pay your insurance for the year in one lump sum to get the maximum discount.
- Retro loyalty discount. If you’ve been a loyal customer to another insurance company and switch to Kemper Direct, you’ll get a discount based on the length of time you were loyal to your previous insurance company.
- Safe and sound discount. To be eligible for this safe driving discount, you must have at least two drivers on your policy and one of them older than 18. All drivers on your policy must have driven without any accidents or violations for at least three years. All drivers has to have been continuously insured for at least 12 months.
- Airbag discount. Get a discount if your vehicle is equipped with airbags.
- Anti-theft discount. Get a discount if your vehicle is equipped with certain anti-theft devices, such as car alarms and automatic lock features.
- Mature driver discount. Drivers older than 55 can complete a state-approved accident prevention course to be eligible for this discount.
- Multi-car discount. Insure multiple vehicles on the same policy and save.
- Passive restraint discount. Certain qualifying passive restraint features like automatic seatbelts could translate to savings.
Does Kemper Direct offer any special programs?
Kemper Direct offers a variety of different auto insurance packages, but you’ll have to mix and match these to get the specific perks you’re looking for. For example, the Protect Your Wallet package comes with accident forgiveness, but not roadside assistance. If you want both of these benefits, you’ll have to purchase both the Protect Your Wallet and Protect Your Sanity packages.
Protect Your Wallet package
- Renewal assurance. Barring any major incidents, this benefit assures that you’ll always be able to renew your policy.
- Accident forgiveness. You’ll be protected from increased rates after an accident on an otherwise safe driving record, even if you’re at fault.
Protect Your Sanity package
- Roadside assistance. Have peace of mind knowing help will be there when you need it if you get a flat tire, run out of gas, need a jumpstart, get locked out or need a tow.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you need a rental car due to a covered loss, Kemper Direct will reimburse you up to $30 a day, with a maximum payout of $600 for a rental.
- Trip interruption. If you’re traveling over 100 miles away from home and have an accident or experience a mechanical issue, Kemper Direct will provide you with a maximum of $600 for expenses like alternative transportation and lodging.
Protect Your Family package
- Pet protection. If your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, you can get up to $2,000 to pay for medical expenses.
- Enhanced car seat replacement. If you’re in a covered accident, all car seats are eligible to be replaced, regardless of damage and with no deductible required.
- Dependent protection. Get up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child. Kemper Direct will also provide $10,000 to your dependents if a fatality occurs.
What’s not covered by Kemper Direct?
Kemper Direct insures drivers in 26 states, but not all vehicle makes and models are eligible. For example, you won’t be able to insure your Ferrari or Maserati with this company, but you can insure these makes:
- Land Rover
- Mercedes Benz
Pros and cons of Kemper Direct car insurance
- Lots of discount options. Kemper Direct offers a wide range of discounts that are easy to qualify for, like having air bags and seat belts in your car.
- Competitive rates. You could save by switching to Kemper Direct, especially if you qualify for many of its discount offers.
- Quick and easy online quote process. Enter some information about yourself, other drivers on your policy and your vehicles and get an instant online quote.
- Online complaints of poor customer service. Some customers report having had negative experiences with rude or unhelpful customer service members.
- Limited state availability. Kemper Direct is only available in 26 states, so if you live outside of its service area, you’ll have to go with a different provider.
What do customers say about Kemper Direct?
Kemper Corporation is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, though it receives an A+ rating. Some customers haven’t been so happy with their experience, however, reporting problems with unfriendly customer service, denied claims and increased rates. Still, others have praised the insurance company for its fast claims process.
Most of the online reviews for Kemper describe experiences with auto insurance through Kemper Corporation, which links customers with third-party underwriters. Kemper Direct, on the other hand, provides direct-to-consumer insurance policies.
How to apply
Applying for car insurance with Kemper Direct is an easy, streamlined process you can start online from the comfort of your own home.
- Go to Kemper Direct’s site and enter your ZIP code and insurance type in the Get a Quote Now box on the homepage. Click Submit.
- Enter the required information about the vehicle you’d like to insure. Hit Next.
- Enter the required information about you and any other drivers on the policy. Click Next.
- Answer questions about your current or previous car insurance policy. Entering your Social Security number on this screen is optional. Hit Next.
- View all of the available discounts, policy options and your monthly estimate.
- If you like what you see and want to purchase your car insurance, click the Buy Auto Now button at the top of the screen. When you proceed, you’ll have the option of adding different protection packages to your plan.
What info do I need to apply?
- Your basic personal information, such as your name and address.
- The make, model and package of the cars you’d like to insure.
- The names and addresses of other drivers you want to insure on your policy.
How do I find a Kemper Direct agent near me?
Kemper Direct only has physical offices in a few different states. If you need to speak to a live person for questions or assistance, you can call its toll-free number 800-231-4743.
How to make a claim with Kemper Direct
You can file an insurance claim with Kemper Direct 24/7 at 866-536-7376 or by going online.
- Go to the Kemper website and click the Claims Center tab at the top of the homepage.
- Click the link to Report a Claim in the blue box on the left side of your screen.
- Select your claim type and click Start Online Now.
- Enter the requested information about you, your vehicle, policy number, the other party and their vehicle and a description of what happened.
- Click Submit.
- A Kemper claims representative will follow up with you to complete the process.
How to contact Kemper Direct
There are a few different ways you can talk to a live customer service rep from Kemper Direct.
- By phone. Call the customer service department at 800-473-8394.
- By email. Send an email by filling out its online contact form. To access the form, go to the Kemper Direct website and click Contact Us in the top right-hand corner of the homepage.
- By mail
Kemper Direct Customer Service
PO Box 3057
Scranton, PA 18505
Does Kemper Direct offer other types of insurance?
Yes. In addition to auto insurance, Kemper Direct offers home, condo and renters insurance.
Other types of insurance such as commercial auto, boat, collectibles, personal valuables and life insurance are available through its parent company, Kemper Corporation.
What are some alternatives to Kemper Direct?
If you’re looking for inexpensive auto insurance policies that you can get online, but Kemper Direct doesn’t seem to be the best fit for you, you might look into Esurance, Geico or Travelers. These companies are known for offering affordable car insurance policies that you can easily access on the Internet.
Compare car insurance providers
Kemper Direct provides a user-friendly online shopping experience that adds up your discounts as you go through the application process. However, you may have to tack on extra packages if you want certain perks like roadside assistance or pet protection.
If Kemper Direct doesn’t seem like the right fit for you, compare other car insurance companies to find the best option for your needs.