Kemper Direct car insurance review
Discover a myriad of discounts and bundled add-ons — but only in 26 states.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if you want fast online quotes and tons of discounts.
- Pick something else if you want the best customer support or have a luxury car.
- Ideal for drivers who want a cheap policy with extra features.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- Lots of discount options
- Competitive rates
- Online quote process
- Online complaints of poor customer service
- Limited state availability
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Gabrielle Pastorek is a staff writer at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's written more than 800 articles on the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
You might be interested in insuring your car with Kemper Direct if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to bigger brands, wrapped up in an easy experience online. Kemper Direct provides a user-friendly online shopping experience that adds up your discounts as you go through the application process.
However, you may have to tack on extra packages if you want certain perks like roadside assistance or pet protection. Check to see if your add-ons balloon your price past competitors who might be bundling more coverage together.
Kemper car insurance rates
Compare sample annual car insurance rates for Kemper customers across the US.
|18 year old male||$2,130||$4,965|
|18 year old female||$1,924||$2,699|
|25 year old male||$1,290||$1,777|
|25 year old female||$1,249||$1,747|
|35 year old male||$953||$1,589|
|35 year old female||$953||$1,589|
|45 year old male||$912||$1,589|
|45 year old female||$912||$1,589|
|56 year old male||$891||$2,646|
|56 year old female||$891||$912|
Who is Kemper car insurance best for?
You might be interested in insuring your car with Kemper Direct if you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to bigger brands, that offers an online experience.
Kemper Direct provides auto insurance for residents in 26 states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- South Carolina
What car insurance coverage does Kemper offer?
Kemper Direct offers standard and preferred auto insurance policies, with the option to add enhancement packages to fit your needs and budget. When completing your online quote, you’ll have the opportunity to browse through Kemper Direct’s coverage options and choose which ones make the most sense for you.
- Liability. Covers the medical and property damage costs if you’re legally responsible for causing injury, damage or death in a covered auto accident.
- Collision. Collision pays for damages to your vehicle caused by an accident that you’re legally responsible for.
- Comprehensive. Comprehensive covers the cost of damages to your vehicle caused by anything other than a collision — like fire, theft, vandalism or hitting a deer. If you’re financing or leasing your car, you may be required to carry these coverages.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for expenses for you and your passengers such as medical bills, lost wages, accidental death and funeral costs that result from a covered car accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Covers death or injuries for you and your passengers if you’re involved in a car accident caused by an uninsured driver or one without adequate coverage.
What discounts can I get with Kemper?
Kemper offers a wide selection of discounts to help you save even more on your monthly car insurance payment. However, not all discounts are available in every state. Discounts to look out for:
- Good drivers. To be eligible for this safe driving discount, you must have at least two drivers on your policy and one of them older than 18. All drivers on your policy must have driven without any accidents or violations for at least three years. All drivers has to have been continuously insured for at least 12 months.
- Married. Married or in a legally recognized civil union? There’s a discount for that.
- Mature driver. Drivers older than 55 can complete a state-approved accident prevention course to be eligible for this discount.
- Multicar. Insure multiple vehicles on the same policy and save.
- Multipolicy. Save even more when you insure your home, condo or apartment with Kemper Direct.
- Paperless. Save some trees and money when you go paperless and pay your bills online.
- Payments. The more you pay on your policy upfront, the more you save. Pay your insurance for the year in one lump sum to get the maximum discount.
- Referral. Refer a friend to purchase a Kemper Direct policy and you’ll both get a 10% discount.
- Safe car. Get a discount if your vehicle is equipped with airbags. Tack on another discount if your vehicle is equipped with qualifying antitheft devices. And secure a third discount by having qualifying passive restraint features.
- Switch and save. If you’ve been a loyal customer to another insurance company and switch to Kemper Direct, you’ll get a discount based on how long you were with your previous insurance company.
Does Kemper offer any special programs or add-ons?
Kemper Direct offers a variety of auto insurance packages, but you’ll have to mix and match these to get the specific perks you’re looking for.
For example, the Protect Your Wallet package comes with accident forgiveness, but not roadside assistance. If you want both of these benefits, you’ll have to purchase both the Protect Your Wallet and Protect Your Sanity packages.
Protect Your Wallet package
- Renewal assurance. Barring any major incidents, this benefit assures that you’ll always be able to renew your policy.
- Accident forgiveness. You’ll be protected from increased rates after your first accident on an otherwise safe driving record, even if you’re at fault.
Protect Your Sanity package
- Roadside assistance. Have peace of mind knowing help will be there when you need it if you get a flat tire, run out of gas, need a jumpstart, get locked out or need a tow.
- Rental car reimbursement. If you need a rental car due to a covered loss, Kemper Direct will reimburse you up to $30 a day, with a maximum payout of $600 for a rental.
- Trip interruption. If you’re traveling over 100 miles away from home and have an accident or experience a mechanical issue, Kemper Direct will provide you with a maximum of $600 for expenses like alternative transportation and lodging.
Protect Your Family package
- Pet protection. If your cat or dog is injured in a covered accident, you can get up to $2,000 to pay for medical expenses.
- Enhanced car seat replacement. If you’re in a covered accident, all car seats are eligible to be replaced, regardless of damage and with no deductible required.
- Dependent protection. Get up to $1,000 in daycare costs if a covered accident leaves you unable to care for your child. Kemper Direct will also provide $10,000 to your dependents if a fatality occurs.
Benefits and add-ons with Kemper Specialty car insurance
If you’re buying a Kemper Specialty package, you can add a few options like:
- Roadside assistance — Buy this add-on for help when your car breaks down on the side of the road due to a dead battery, flat tire, mechanical breakdown needing a tow truck or even running out of fuel.
- Phone payments through Kemper EZPay — Enroll in text alerts to remind you of payments due, provide a link to pay from your phone and tell you when your policy needs to be renewed.
- Salvage vehicles — Kemper Specialty will protect most salvaged cars that have been rebuilt to roadworthiness.
- Nonowner coverage — Kemper Specialty offers coverage that follows you as the driver, rather than insuring you for just the car named on the policy.
- SR-22 filing — Kemper Specialty can submit this form to prove to the California DMV that you’ve met the insurance requirements.
Pros and cons of Kemper car insurance
- Lots of discount options. Kemper Direct offers a wide range of discounts that are easy to qualify for, like having airbags and automatic seat belts in your car.
- Competitive rates. You could save by switching to Kemper Direct, especially if you qualify for many of its discount offers.
- Online quote process. Enter some information about yourself, other drivers on your policy and your vehicles and get an instant online quote.
- Online complaints of poor customer service. Some customers report having had negative experiences with rude or unhelpful customer service members.
- Limited state availability. Kemper Direct is only available in 26 states, so if you live outside of its service area, you’ll have to go with a different company.
Compare alternatives to Kemper
Kemper car insurance reviews and complaints
Kemper Corporation is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, though it receives an A+ rating for how it handles customer complaints on the site. Some customers haven’t been so happy with their experiences, reporting problems with unfriendly customer service, denied claims and increased rates.
Most of the online reviews for Kemper describe experiences with auto insurance through Kemper Corporation, which links customers with third-party underwriters. Kemper Direct, on the other hand, provides direct-to-consumer insurance policies.
In its 2019 auto insurance study, J.D. Power ranked Kemper dead last for overall customer satisfaction in the California Region. It scored 778 points out of a possible 1,000 — a full 39 points below the regional average.
What’s the difference between Kemper Specialty vs. Kemper Direct?
Kemper Specialty California is part of the Kemper Insurance Group that specializes in policies for California drivers considered high-risk. It also insures nonstandard cars like salvage vehicles that don’t qualify for protection under traditional car insurance.
Kemper Direct sells personal car and home insurance to customers online or over the phone. Its name reveals that the company underwrites its own insurance policies and sells directly to the customer. By comparison, other companies may sell insurance that’s underwritten by another company or through independent agents.
How to apply for a Kemper car insurance policy
Applying for car insurance with Kemper Direct is a streamlined process you can start online from the comfort of your own home.
For Kemper Direct:
- Go to Kemper Direct’s main website.
- Enter your ZIP code and insurance type in the Get a quote now box on the homepage. Click Submit.
- Enter the required information about the vehicle you’d like to insure. Hit Next.
- Enter the required information about you and any other drivers on the policy. Click Next.
- Answer questions about your current or previous car insurance policy. Entering your Social Security number on this screen is optional. Hit Next.
- View all of the available discounts, policy options and your monthly estimate.
- If you like what you see and want to purchase your car insurance, click the Buy auto now button at the top of the screen. When you proceed, you’ll have the option of adding different protection packages to your plan.
For Kemper Specialty: If you need a policy for high-risk drivers or salvage cars in California, you can call Kemper Specialty California at 800-456-0448.
What info do I need to apply?
- Your basic personal information, such as your name and address.
- The make, model and package of the cars you’d like to insure.
- The names and addresses of other drivers you want to insure on your policy.
How to contact Kemper
There are a few different ways you can talk to a live customer service rep from Kemper.
- By phone. Call the customer service department at 800-473-8394. For Kemper Specialty, you can dial 800-456-0448.
- By email. Send an email by filling out its online contact form. To access the form, go to the Kemper Direct website and click Contact us in the top right-hand corner of the homepage.
- By mail. Send mail to Kemper Direct Customer Service, PO Box 3057, Scranton, PA 18505
Common questions about Kemper car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.