Disclaimer: This page is not financial advice or an endorsement of digital assets, providers or services. Digital assets are volatile and risky, and past performance is no guarantee of future results. Potential regulations or policies can affect their availability and services provided. Talk with a financial professional before making a decision. Finder or the author may own cryptocurrency discussed on this page.
Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
How to buy cryptocurrency in Arkansas
Buying cryptocurrency in Arkansas doesn't have to be tricky — compare -1+ licensed platforms.
In Arkansas, there are multiple exchanges to choose from to buy coins like VeChain (VET), KuCoin (KCS) and THORChain (RUNE). Arkansas also has 317 registered Bitcoin ATMs where you can buy Bitcoin on the go, with the most popular locations being Little Rock (142 ATMs), Fayetteville (61 ATMs) and Fort Smith (28 ATMs). The most popular coin in Arkansas in 2021 was Dogecoin, as reported by FinanceBuzz. Of course, there are more than 10,000 cryptocurrencies in existence, so who knows what Arkansas's most popular coin will be next year.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Arkansas
With a personal per-capita income of $44,629 in Arkansas, choosing the right exchange and coin to purchase is a big decision. The average person in Arkansas earns the equivalent of roughly 1.63 BTC or 25.10 ETH per year. Follow these steps to buy the crypto of your choice:
Step 1: Compare exchanges.
Exchanges vary in what coins they list and wallets they support. For example, Robinhood Crypto lists over 17 cryptocurrencies and CEX.IO Cryptocurrency Exchange lists 44. Exchanges can also vary in deposit methods and fees. Confirm the platform supports any specific coins you're interested in before signing up.
Our top pick: Gemini Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Wide range of exchangeable currencies
- User friendly
- Newcomer incentives
- Insurance on currency balances up to $250k
- Balances can earn interest
- High fees on mobile app
- Missing some notable top 20 currencies
- No linked debit cards available
|Deposit Methods||Bank transfer (ACH)
|Deposit Fees||Cryptocurrency: None
Bank transfer (ACH): None, bank fees may apply
Wire Transfer: Determined by your bank
Debit Card: 3.49% + Trading Fees
Paypal: 2.50% of total deposit amount + Trading Fees
|Withdrawal Fees||Cryptocurrency: None (for 10 withdrawals and below per month)
Others: None (for 10 withdrawals and below per month)
|Trading Fees||≤ $10.00: $0.99
> $10.00 but ≤ $25.00: $1.49
> $25.00 but ≤ $50.00: $1.99
> $50.00 but ≤ $200.00: $2.99
> $200.00: 1.49% of your Web Order value
No matter what exchange you choose, it's important to verify that it's available in Arkansas. Some states have strict requirements, while others simply require a money transmitter license. partner is not available in Arkansas, so watch out for that. Once you've settled on an exchange, you're required to complete "know your consumer" (KYC) requirements, which involves your name and proof of identification. You may also need to prove your address by uploading something like a mortgage statement, a credit card statement or a utility bill.
General steps to signing up with an exchange include:
- Create an account
- Verify your identity, usually with government-issue ID
- Connect a digital wallet
- Deposit funds
Step 2: Choose a digital wallet.A crypto wallet, often called a digital wallet, is where you store your crypto assets, like coins and tokens. Digital wallets fall into roughly two types:
- Software. Downloadable, Internet-connected programs stored on your computer or device.
- Hardware. External, offline physical devices you plug into your computer or device to access your digital assets. Also called cold storage.
- Create an account
- Record generated seed phrase — or master password
- Connect a debit card, credit card or bank account
- Connect wallet to network required by the marketplace
Popular online wallets include Ledger, Trust Connect, MetaMask and Coinbase.
Step 3: Research coins.You've heard of crypto staples Bitcoin (BTC) and Ether (ETH), but there are literally thousands of altcoins available to invest in, with more created all the time. Other recently popular coins include Arbitrum (ARB), JOE (JOE), ZigZag (ZZ) and Mute (MUTE). Cryptocurrency is a speculative investment. Costs can vary greatly among coins and fluctuate daily, leaving room for dramatic gains and losses. Investing in the big-name coins still doesn't come with any guarantee of profit. Despite the lack of guarantee, you can still narrow down a coin that fits your needs by researching elements that include:
- Long-term performance. Look for stability or patterns you think you can trade on. Large drops may indicate waning demand.
- Node count. Nodes are how many participants there are in a blockchain network. Nodes all work together to verify transactions — the more nodes, the better.
Where do I buy crypto in Arkansas?
To buy crypto in Arkansas, look for a crypto exchange that fits your needs. Consider using:
eToro USA LLC Cryptocurrency Trading
Finder rating 4 / 5 ★★★★★
- Tiered membership benefits. You obtain different benefits on eToro by keeping different dollar amounts of fiat currency plus equity on the platform. Benefits include access to customer success agents and a subscription to The Wall Street Journal, among others.
- Crypto on eToro is not insured. The crypto that you leave in eToro’s custody isn’t insured. This means that if eToro goes insolvent or is hacked, you will have little recourse to retrieve your digital assets.
Finder rating 4 / 5 ★★★★★
- Reputable investment app
- $0 fees to buy and sell
- No account minimum
- 7 coins available only
- Can't withdraw crypto directly from app
CEX.IO Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Accepts credit cards
- 18 coins available
- No reported sitewide hacks
- Customers report poor customer service
- Verification process may take days or weeks
SoFi Invest Crypto
Finder rating 4.5 / 5 ★★★★★
- $0 account minimum
- 20+ coins available
- Reputable exchange
- Can't transfer crypto out of SoFi
- 1.25% markup fee
Paybis Cryptocurrency Exchange
- Lists 36 cryptocurrencies
- Multiple fiat currencies supported
- Five deposit methods
- 24/7 customer support
- Fees high and vary
- Can only sell BTC
- No supported crypto pairs
- Unavailable in New York and Hawaii
Can I buy VeChain (VET) in Arkansas?
Yes, you can buy VeChain in Arkansas using an exchange like Coinmama, SoFi or CEX.IO. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support VeChain and taking a deeper dive into how to buy VeChain.
Can I buy KuCoin (KCS) in Arkansas?
Yes, you can buy KuCoin in Arkansas using an exchange like Coinmama, SoFi or CEX.IO. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support KuCoin and taking a deeper dive into how to buy KuCoin.
Can I buy THORChain (RUNE) in Arkansas?
Yes, you can buy THORChain in Arkansas using an exchange like Coinmama, SoFi or CEX.IO. We recommend exploring a list of exchanges that support THORChain and taking a deeper dive into how to buy THORChain.
Regulations around cryptocurrency in ArkansasStates also vary on regulations, guidelines and financial regulatory agencies that govern cryptocurrency — despite the fact that crypto is considered decentralized finance, or DeFi.
Arkansas's regulations according to Bloomberg LawArkansas’s definition of money transmission expressly includes virtual currency; A.C.A. § 23-55-102(12)(A), and allows investment in virtual currency by money transmitters; A.C.A. § 23-55-701(b). However, Arkansas has provided “no-action” letters to digital asset-issuing businesses freeing them from money transmission licensing requirements, e.g., In re Mythical, Inc. (June 22, 2020) (video game internal currency) ; In re River Financial, Inc. (May 21, 2020) (selling own reserves of Bitcoin)
Source: Bloomberg Law
Know before you buy cryptoCryptocurrency is decentralized finance, so there isn't an authoritative entity out there looking out for you. While exchanges and digital wallets can do their best to keep things secure, you can proactively protect yourself with our top tips:
- Secure your wallet. One of the most important things you can do to protect yourself from theft or hacking is by keeping your digital wallet's keys safe. If someone gets access, you could lose your assets without much hope for recovery.
- Read the fine print. Marketplaces and exchanges often aren't liable if bad actors get access to your digital wallet or assets. Learn about the security measures in place to prevent access to your money.
- Watch out for phishing scams. No exchange will ask you to confirm the password to your wallet or keys through email or by phone. Call the company directly to ask about suspicious contacts or anything else you're not sure about.
- Reputable exchanges require ID. Signing up with a reputable exchange site typically requires you to submit such personal information as your address, SSN and email. This step is often called KYC and is required. If you skip this step, there may be legal consequences – especially if you skip it to use a non-licensed exchange.
- Cryptocurrency is volatile. Don't invest more than you can afford to lose. The value of any coin can change in a matter of seconds, spelling major losses or gains that depend on interest and how much you invest. Learn more about the fundamentals of cryptocurrency to better equip yourself in this volatile market.
More guides on Finder
How to buy cryptocurrency in Puerto Rico
How to start buying and investing in cryptocurrency in Puerto Rico.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Wyoming
Wyoming may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Wyoming.
How to buy cryptocurrency in West Virginia
West Virginia may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in West Virginia.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Wisconsin
Wisconsin may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Wisconsin.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Washington
Washington may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Washington.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Virginia
Virginia may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Virginia.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Vermont
Vermont may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Vermont.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Utah
Utah may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Utah.
How to buy cryptocurrency in Tennessee
Tennessee may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in Tennessee.
How to buy cryptocurrency in South Dakota
South Dakota may have regulations on crypto, learn how to buy cryptocurrency legally in South Dakota.
Ask an Expert