Hanover car insurance review
Your personal agent will help you create a customized quote.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want great customer service.
- Pick something else if you want online quotes and support.
- Ideal for drivers who want to work directly with an agent.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
- Platinum Essential to Platinum Auto Elite policies
- Good driver discounts
- Highly rated customer reviews
- Potentially higher rates
- Online complaints of too much paperwork
- Difficult to research prices
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Jing Jun Ma is an innovations expert at Finder. With a decade of experience in digital marketing and programming, Jing is a tech and data guy. He wrangles data to make it useful for consumers facing a decision.
While many providers are moving towards online approaches to insurance, Hanover recognizes the value in working directly with an agent. Since policies are sold through a network of local agents, Hanover auto insurance is best for those looking for coverage with a personal touch. Hanover’s competitive prices on its solid selection of policy options provide a balance between cheap car insurance and extensive coverage.
However, its policies aren’t available everywhere, and you’ll need to apply for coverage through an agent directly. If you’d prefer to apply online or want to keep an eye out for potentially high rates, you should compare your options to find the best provider for your situation.
Where is Hanover car insurance available?
While Hanover’s website mentions that policies are available in all 50 states, that’s not necessarily true for personal insurance policies. Hanover’s personal car insurance policies are available in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
What car insurance coverage does Hanover offer?
Since policies are sold through a network of local agents, Hanover auto insurance is best for those looking for coverage with a personal touch.
- Liability. Covers expenses that range from damaging a vehicle to injuring a person in an accident.
- Comprehensive and collision. Known as full-coverage auto insurance, this can help pay for damage to your car due to vandalism, weather and accidents involving animals.
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts. Extend your protection to even cover OEM parts in your most valued possessions.
- Newer car replacement. If your new car is totaled within a year or 15,000 miles of purchase, Hanover will cover its replacement without deduction for depreciation.
- Roadside assistance. Hanover will get your disabled vehicle to the nearest repair facility for free after an accident.
- Personal injury protection. This can help pay for indirect expenses — medical and rehabilitation, work loss and funeral costs — after an accident.
- Medical payments. Cover medical costs related to an accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Offers protection in the event that the other party doesn’t have adequate coverage to cover damages to you and your vehicle.
Discounts on Hanover car insurance
Hanover offers a number of discounts to help keep its prices competitive. Here are a few of the many discounts available:
- Account credit. Receive discounted rates when you have more than one type of insurance policy with Hanover.
- Paid-in-Full discount. Receive a discount when you pay your bill in full.
- Anti-theft devices discounts. Receive better rates on vehicles with anti-theft devices.
- Multi-car discount. Receive better rates when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Accident prevention courses discount. Receive a discount for completing accident prevention courses.
- Good Student discount. Students can get better rates by holding a “B” average or higher.
- Safe driver discount. Get better rates when you have a clean driving record.
- No Fee EFT. Save up to $60 a year in installment fees when you enroll in Hanover’s online bill payment program.
Does Hanover offer any special programs?
Hanover strives to provide affordable insurance with great coverage. Here are a few of the special programs that can enhance your auto insurance coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. Your premiums won’t increase after your first accident.
- Waiver of deductible. Only pay for one deductible if an incident affects more than one policy.
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Parts. Repairs to your car will be done with original manufacturer parts as opposed to used or lower quality replacements.
- New Car Replacement Coverage. Replaces your new car without deduction for depreciation if it is totaled within one year or 15,000 miles of purchase.
- Newer Car Replacement. If your new car is totaled, this program pays the Actual Cash Value of a vehicle one model year newer than your current vehicle, less any applicable deductible, up to 120% of the Actual Cash Value of your current vehicle.
- Accidental Airbag Deployment. If your car’s airbag is accidentally deployed, this program can cover any fees associated with replacing it.
- Home Care Services. If you suffer severe injuries from an accident, this program pays up to $2,500 per month to cover housekeeping, food preparation, and other expenses.
- Rental Coverage Upgrade. Extra coverage that allows you to upgrade your rental vehicle to a luxury model or SUV.
- Pet Injury Protection. Extra protection in the event that your pet is injured due to an accident.
- Express Claims Auto Repair Program. Hanover has a network of certified repair shops with a lifetime warranty on repairs.
Pros and cons of Hanover car insurance
- Lots of options. Hanover offers many levels of protection — from Platinum Essential plans to Platinum Auto Elite — so you can find one that works best for your needs.
- Good driver discounts. Hanover’s Deductible Dividends reduces your collision deductible by $100 each year you don’t have a collision claim.
- Highly rated. A.M. Best and BBB rate Hanover with high As. With more than $5 billion in written premiums, Hanover is proven to keep you and your assets protected.
- Potentially higher rates. In comparison to other auto-insurers, Hanover’s rates can be on the higher side.
- Online complaints. Some users complain of a cumbersome claims process that requires a lot of paperwork and many months to fund.
- Difficult to research prices. Insurance quotes are solely through agents, making it difficult to compare prices before signing on.
Alternatives to Hanover
Hanover car insurance customer reviews
The Hanover Insurance Group is officially accredited on the BBB website with an impressive A+ rating to match. It also holds a composite score of 4.19 out of 5 possible stars, which considers both the official rating and customer reviews. However, despite the great ratings, there are a few complaints from customers, most of which are regarding billing or payment issues.
Reviews on other websites are a bit of a mixed bag. Some customers are quite satisfied with their coverage, while others cite issues with communication, billing, and other concerns. Keep in mind that many customers only go online to rant or rave about their experiences, so there are likely many customers who are satisfied but didn’t bother to leave a review anywhere.
How to apply for car insurance coverage with Hanover
Unfortunately for those who prefer to apply for auto insurance online, it’s not possible with Hanover. Instead, you’ll need to speak with an agent to get covered. You can get started by calling 800-628-0250 to get a quote, then inquire about purchasing your policy.
How to file a car insurance claim with Hanover
Hanover offers a 24/7 claims service to help you get your vehicle back on the road as soon as possible. Here’s how to use it:
- Visit Hanover’s website and scroll to “File a claim”, click “Get started”.
- Under “Online web forms”, click “Auto”
- Fill out all information for the insured party (Name, policy number, etc)
- Enter incident details (Location, description, time, etc.)
- Enter vehicle and driver information for all parties
- Add any attachments, review your claim, then click “Submit”
- Once your claim has been received and reviewed, Hanover will contact you to move forward.
By phone. If you’d rather file your claim by phone, you can call 800-628-0250 any time to get the process started.
How can I contact Hanover Insurance?
Although Hanover mainly operates through its local agents, there are a handful of other ways you can get in touch. Visit the Contact Us page on the website for details on how to contact them by:
Frequently asked questions about Hanover
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.