Formerly known as Accordia Life Insurance, this provider shines brightest when it comes to indexed universal life policies.
Get a quote if…
- You’re interested in indexed universal life insurance or if you want to enhance your policy with a long list of riders.
Pick something else if…
- You want to apply online or if you’re leaning toward whole life insurance.
|Insurance Products||Term, Permanent|
|Issue Age||18 to 75|
|Coverage Amount||$50,000 to $1,000,000+|
|Term Lengths||Level term for 10, 20, or 30 years OR Annual Renewable Term|
|Policy Riders Offered||Yes.|
What types of life insurance does Global Atlantic offer?
Global Atlantic sells both term and permanent policies, and specializes in indexed variable life insurance.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
Depending on your policy, you may be able to customize your coverage with the following riders:
- Wellness for Life Rider
- Accelerated Access Rider
- Overloan Protection Rider
- Primary Insured Rider
- Additional Insured Rider
- Children’s Insurance Rider
- Accidental Death Benefit Rider
- Terminal Illness Accelerated Death Benefit Rider
- Return of Premium Rider
- Waiver of Monthly Deductions Rider
- Waiver of Premium Rider
- Waiver of Surrender Charge due to Confinement Rider
- Guaranteed Purchase Option Rider
These riders only apply to the Survivorship Builder policy:
- Policy Split Rider
- First to Die Rider
- Survivor Insured Rider
- Estate Protection Rider
What is the Global Atlantic Wellness for Life rider?
Available on permanent policies, the goal of this rider is to reward those who maintain healthy lifestyles. Add it to your policy and you’ll score a discount for visiting the doctor once every two years. If you get a clean bill of health and you’ve stayed within your weight range as determined by your policy, you’ll earn a further discount on your premium. This feature also grants you access to the Ask Mayo Clinic 24-hour nurse line.
How can I get the lowest rate?
The rate you’re offered reflects your age, health, lifestyle, occupation and hobbies, as well as the length and amount of coverage. To protect themselves, insurers reserve their best rates for the least risky applicants.
At Global Atlantic, underwriters consider the following factors:
- Tobacco use. To reach the Premier or Preferred rate classes, you must be a non-smoker — though up to four celebratory cigars are allowed per month.
- Age. Young, healthy applicants usually pay lower premiums.
- Driving record. For the best rates, your recent record must be free of moving violations, DUIs and reckless driving.
- Criminal history. Global Atlantic won’t accept applicants who are on probation, parole or currently serving time in prison.
- Health. The insurer assesses your cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI and family medical history, and typically charges higher rates when there’s a history of cardiovascular disease, cancer, melanoma, strokes or diabetes.
- Occupation. Firemen, loggers, war journalists and people with other dangerous jobs may pay higher premiums. However, if you’re a pilot, some states offer an Aviation Exclusion Rider.
- Hazardous lifestyle. Do you drive race cars or count skydiving, scuba diving and rock climbing among your hobbies? You may be charged higher rates.
- Alcohol and drugs. To enter the highest rate classes, you must have no history of alcohol or drug abuse or treatment within the past 10 years.
Pros and cons of Global Atlantic life insurance
- Long list of riders. You can dress up your policy with a range of riders, including Global Atlantic’s exclusive Wellness for Life rider.
- Life Credits on permanent policies. If you’re under 80 and meet the health requirements, the underwriters will automatically apply credits to your account. These credits may nudge you toward a higher rate class.
- Fast Lane underwriting. Eligible applicants can accelerate the process by skipping the full medical exam. They’ll still need to schedule a Tele-med phone interview.
- Multiple ways to pay. Choose to pay your premiums via Bill Pay, checks or credit cards.
- Financial strength. Global Atlantic holds an A (Excellent) rating with A.M. Best, which points to its ability to pay out claims.
- Can’t apply online. You’ll need to call or visit a local office to apply for life insurance.
- Outdated claims process. You can’t file a claim online.
- No live chat. Global Atlantic doesn’t offer real-time help on its site.
- Limited whole life policies. There’s only one whole life policy on offer, and its purely for covering funeral expenses.
Compare life insurance companies like Global Atlantic Financial Group
Global Atlantic reviews and complaints
Global Atlantic Financial group isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but it does have an A+ rating for its operations and customer service. The BBB has recorded just three complaints in the past three years and customers have awarded the company a three-star rating.
Its subsidiaries aren’t BBB-accredited, either. On its own, Accordia Life Insurance & Annuity Co has a C rating with the BBB. Customers filed 37 complaints over the past three years, most of which related to problems with the product, service, billing and collection.
Like its parent company, Forethought Life Insurance Company has earned three stars from customers and an A+ BBB rating.
How do I sign up?
To get a quote or apply for a policy, call 877-462-8992.
Alternatively, you can call a local life insurance agent. Global Atlantic has offices in Iowa, Georgia, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Texas.
I’ve signed up. What happens next?
The approval process typically takes three to four weeks, which factors in time for a full paramedical exam.
If you’re eligible for Global Atlantic’s accelerated underwriting program, Fast Lane, the total turnaround time after the phone interview is one to two business days.
More about Global Atlantic
Global Atlantic is a multiline insurer that was founded by Goldman Sachs in 2004 before breaking away to become an independent company in 2013. Since then, it’s acquired several subsidiaries. These include Accordia Life & Annuity Co, which issues its term, universal and indexed universal life insurance, while Forethought Life Insurance Company writes its whole life policies for funeral expenses.
Aside from life insurance, Global Atlantic sells annuities and offers retirement and financial planning. It has over $40 billion in assets and holds an A (Excellent) rating with A.M. Best.
If you have complex needs or you’re in the market for a permanent policy, it may be worth checking out Global Atlantic. Along with a range of riders, it offers four indexed universal life policies and funeral planning products that can ease the burden on your family when you’re gone.
But it’s a little old-school — if you have questions, you’ll need to jump on the phone. Before committing, compare life insurance providers.