Global Atlantic Financial Group life insurance review 2021
Formerly known as Accordia Life Insurance, this provider shines brightest when it comes to indexed universal life policies.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… You’re interested in indexed universal life insurance or if you want to enhance your policy with a long list of riders.
- Pick something else if… You want to apply online or if you’re leaning toward whole life insurance.
18 to 75
$50,000 to $1,000,000
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||Level term for 10, 20, or 30 years or Annual Renewable Term|
|Medical exam required||Not listed|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- Long list of riders
- Life Credits on permanent policies
- Fast Lane underwriting
- Multiple ways to pay
- Financial strength
- Can’t apply online
- Outdated claims process
- No live chat
- Limited whole life policies
Accelerated death benefit rider
Accidental death benefit rider
Critical illness benefit rider
Estate protection rider
Guaranteed insurability rider
Policy split option rider
Substitute insured rider
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
If you have complex needs or you’re in the market for a permanent policy, it may be worth checking out Global Atlantic. Along with a range of riders, it offers four indexed universal life policies and funeral planning products that can ease the burden on your family when you’re gone.
But it’s a little old-school — if you have questions, you’ll need to jump on the phone.
What types of life insurance does Global Atlantic offer?
Global Atlantic sells both term and permanent policies, and specializes in indexed variable life insurance.
- Term life insurance. The simplest and cheapest policy, term life provides coverage for a set period of time — in this case, 10, 20 or 30 years. Global Atlantic also offers an annual renewable term life policy. The premium stays the same for the 10-, 20- and 30-year terms, while the year-on-year rate typically increases with the annual renewable term policy. All term policies can be converted to permanent life insurance.
- Universal life insurance. Global Atlantic has one universal life policy that provides lifetime coverage and death benefits and becomes a cash asset over time. Universal life payments are flexible, rather than set at a dollar amount, which is ideal for those who foresee income fluctuations or can’t commit to paying the same amount every month. The cash value of the policy can also be tapped into during your lifetime, with interest.
- Indexed universal life insurance. This insurer has three indexed universal life insurance policies on offer for individuals. Like universal life policies, these are financial assets that offer lifelong protection. The main difference is that the cash accumulation portion of your policy is tied to an index, like the S&P 500, which may boost its cash value.
- Survivorship life insurance. Global Atlantic also has an indexed life insurance policy for couples. This policy insures two people on one policy. The death benefit is paid out after the second person passes away.
- Preneed life insurance. Also known as funeral insurance, this whole life policy is available through funeral homes, and sold when you make funeral plans. When you die, your policy will pay out the benefit to the funeral home so they can carry out the wishes laid out in your contract. Global Atlantic has another funeral planning designed for those who want to set aside funds for their final expenses and leave a legacy, it combines whole life coverage with a funeral expense trust or estate planning trust. If you’re interested in this, you’ll need to speak to an insurance agent.
- Accelerated underwriting. Eligible applicants between 18 and 60 years old can get up to $1,000,000 in coverage without a medical exam.
How do I get a life insurance quote from Global Atlantic?
To get a quote or apply for a policy, call 877-462-8992.
Alternatively, you can call a local life insurance agent. Global Atlantic has offices in Iowa, Georgia, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and Texas.
The approval process typically takes three to four weeks, which factors in time for a full paramedical exam.
If you’re eligible for Global Atlantic’s accelerated underwriting program, Fast Lane, the total turnaround time after the phone interview is one to two business days.
What rate factors does Global Atlantic consider?
The rate you’re offered reflects your age, health, lifestyle, occupation and hobbies, as well as the length and amount of coverage. To protect themselves, insurers reserve their best rates for the least risky applicants.
At Global Atlantic, underwriters consider the following factors:
- Tobacco use. To reach the Premier or Preferred rate classes, you must be a non-smoker — though up to four celebratory cigars are allowed per month.
- Age. Young, healthy applicants usually pay lower premiums.
- Driving record. For the best rates, your recent record must be free of moving violations, DUIs and reckless driving.
- Criminal history. Global Atlantic won’t accept applicants who are on probation, parole or currently serving time in prison.
- Health. The insurer assesses your cholesterol, blood pressure, BMI and family medical history, and typically charges higher rates when there’s a history of cardiovascular disease, cancer, melanoma, strokes or diabetes.
- Occupation. Firemen, loggers, war journalists and people with other dangerous jobs may pay higher premiums. However, if you’re a pilot, some states offer an Aviation Exclusion Rider.
- Hazardous lifestyle. Do you drive race cars or count skydiving, scuba diving and rock climbing among your hobbies? You may be charged higher rates.
- Alcohol and drugs. To enter the highest rate classes, you must have no history of alcohol or drug abuse or treatment within the past 10 years.
What riders can I add to my Global Atlantic life insurance policy?
Global Atlantic’s website is slim on details. Depending on your policy and state, you may be able to customize your coverage with the following riders:
- Accelerated death benefit rider
- Accidental death benefit rider
- Child rider
- Critical illness benefit rider
- Guaranteed insurability rider
- Long-term-care rider
- Return-of-premium rider
- Substitute insured rider
- Waiver-of-premium rider
These riders only apply to the Survivorship Builder policy:
- Policy Split Rider
- First to Die Rider
- Survivor Insured Rider
- Estate Protection Rider
What is the Global Atlantic Wellness for Life rider?
Available on permanent policies, the goal of this rider is to reward those who maintain healthy lifestyles. Add it to your policy and you’ll score a discount for visiting the doctor once every two years. If you get a clean bill of health and you’ve stayed within your weight range as determined by your policy, you’ll earn a further discount on your premium. This feature also grants you access to the Ask Mayo Clinic 24-hour nurse line.
Global Atlantic reviews and complaints
Global Atlantic Financial group isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but it does have an A+ rating for its operations and customer service. The BBB has recorded just three complaints in the past three years and customers have awarded the company a three-star rating.
Its subsidiaries aren’t BBB-accredited, either. On its own, Accordia Life Insurance & Annuity Co has a C rating with the BBB. Customers filed 37 complaints over the past three years, most of which related to problems with the product, service, billing and collection.
Like its parent company, Forethought Life Insurance Company has earned three stars from customers and an A+ BBB rating.
Compare life insurance companies like Global Atlantic Financial Group
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.