Capitalize on 0.65% APY and free PopMoney transfers, but prepare for limited customer support.
This interest-bearing checking account comes with free wire transfers and no maintenance fees, but lacks check-writing privileges and the in-person support found in brick-and-mortar branches.
|APY||0.65% on balances of $0.10+|
|Minimum deposit to open||$1|
|ATMs||Allpoint’s 55,000 ATMs nationwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Deposit methods||Cash by ATM|
Check by ATM
Mobile/remote check deposit
What are the benefits of a checking account with FNBO Direct?
Enjoy mobile banking and direct deposit along with the following:
- 0.65% APY. This an interest-bearing account — a rare find among checking accounts — so your funds will earn a 0.65% APY.
- No maintenance fees. Your hard-earned money is free to grow with no monthly service fees sapping your funds.
- Free PopMoney transfers. The typical $0.95 PopMoney transaction fee is waived for transfers made from this account.
- Debit card fraud monitoring. FNBO Direct’s online security helps keep your money safe with debit card fraud monitoring, SSL encryption and automatic timeouts.
- Free incoming wire transfers. While outgoing transfers are subject to a $15 fee, incoming wire transfers are free.
What should I look out for?
This online checking account isn’t without its drawbacks:
- No in-person support. Since FNBO Direct is an online bank, its customer service is limited to phone and email inquiries.
- No international wire transfers. While domestic transfers are permitted, international wire transfers aren’t available with this account.
- No check-writing privileges. This checking account doesn’t offer check-writing privileges.
FNBO Direct’s ATM network and fees
The FNBO Direct Online Checking account comes with a free FNBO Direct Visa Debit card. With it, you can access any of Allpoint’s 55,000 ATMs for free. ATMs outside this network may charge a service fee.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I open a FNBO Direct Online Checking account?
- Go to FNBO Direct’s website and click Apply Now.
- Enter your full name, Social Security number, date of birth and email address. Click Next Step.
- Enter your residential address, driver’s license number or state ID and employment status. Click Next Step.
Review and confirm your submitted information. Then, read FNBO Direct’s online account disclosures and terms and conditions.
Make a deposit of at least $1 to fund your FNBO Direct Online Savings account. You can make a deposit by electronic funds transfer or by mailing a personal check to:
PO Box 3707
Omaha, NE 68103-0707
Your FNBO Direct Visa Debit card should arrive by mail within seven to 10 business days.
Before you apply, make sure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old
- Social Security or tax ID number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
- Valid bank account
- Initial deposit of at least $1
Be ready to supply the following information for your online application:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Employment information
- Social Security or tax ID number
- Driver’s license or state ID
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
FNBO Direct offers five ways to access funds with this account:
- Online deposit. Transfer funds to an externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. Using the FNBO Direct mobile banking app, make a deposit by uploading a photo of your check.
- ATM. The FNBO Direct Visa Debit card offers surcharge-free access to more than 55,000 Allpoint ATMs.
- Wire transfer. Incoming domestic wire transfers are free, while outgoing transfers are subject to a $15 fee.
- Mail. Mail a check to FNBO Direct.
What other checking options does FNBO Direct offer?
As of this writing, the FNBO Direct Online Checking account is the only checking account FNBO Direct offers.
The FNBO Direct Online Checking account earns interest and offers free person-to-person PopMoney payments, but lacks in-person support.
Unsure about this account? Review your checking account options with other providers to find the best rates and features that fit your financial needs.