First Boulevard account review
Avoid fees and get early access to your direct deposits, but it’s currently waitlisted.First Boulevard bank aims to close the racial wealth gap in the US by offering banking services tailored to Black Americans, but anyone can open an account. There’s no monthly fee, overdraft fee or minimum balance requirement. The app includes audio-based financial education courses, and the account grants you access to direct deposits up to two days early. But it hasn’t launched yet and lacks features offered by other accounts.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
Expert reviewFirst Boulevard bank’s goal is to close the racial wealth gap by offering financial services and tools to Black Americans. But anyone can join and open an account. The account stands out for its spending limits and its financial literacy resources. Although most banks offer financial resources, First Boulevard bank offers free, audio-based financial literacy courses, which are organized into playlists you can listen to at your leisure.
The account also offers Stash subaccounts, which are tied to your savings goals. But, unlike standard savings accounts, your Stash balance won’t earn interest. If you want your savings to grow, you’re better off opening up a separate high-yield savings account to work alongside your First Boulevard account.
But First Boulevard bank doesn’t support joint accounts or wire transfers, and the account is currently not available. If you’re interested in an account, you can sign up under the waitlist. Otherwise, compare other digital banking accounts you can start using today.
How do I open a First Boulevard account?
First Boulevard hasn’t officially launched yet, but you can sign up for early access now.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Enter your email address in the field near the top of the page.
- Tap or click Get early access.
Meet these eligibility requirements to qualify for a First Boulevard account.
- PAt least 18 years of age
- US citizen or legal alien
- US resident
Since First Boulevard account isn’t live, it’s unclear what information you’ll need. But most banks require the following information:
- Full legal name
- Residential address
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Details from a government-issued ID
7 benefits of First Boulevard bank’s checking accountFirst Boulevard accounts offer the following features.
- Spending recommendations. The app lets you set spending limits for specific categories you’ll receive notifications once you’re approaching the threshold.
- Early direct deposits. First Boulevard bank gives you access to direct deposits up to two days early.
- Few fees. There’s no monthly fee or overdraft fee associated with this account, and there’s no minimum balance requirement to open the account. Paper statements are also free.
- Financial education courses. First Boulevard bank’s app gives you access to free financial literacy courses you can complete on your own schedule.
- Savings goals. Set aside funds for savings goals in a Stash subaccount, which prevents you from spending or withdrawing the money until you transfer it to your main spend account.
- Cash back at Black-owned businesses. When you open a First Boulevard account, you’ll save up to 15% on purchases from participating Black-owned businesses.
- Access to cryptocurrency. First Boulevard bank is the first of five Black-focused banks that is participating in a Visa-backed pilot program that helps customers buy and sell digital assets.
5 things to look out forFirst Boulevard accounts have a handful of drawbacks you should bear in mind before applying.
- Not currently available. First Boulevard account hasn’t officially launched yet, so you can only join the waitlist.
- Fee for depositing cash. You may have to pay up to $4.95 to load paper money into your account at participating Green Dot locations.
- Maximum balance. According to the deposit agreement, you can’t have more than $20,000 in your account at any time.
- No joint account. First Boulevard bank doesn’t support joint accounts at this time.
- No support for wire transfers. You can’t send or receive wire transfers.
First Boulevard’s ATM network and feesFirst Boulevard accounts come with an ATM card you can use for free at more than 37,000 MoneyPass ATMs across the US. But unlike digital accounts, First Boulevard doesn’t reimburse fees for using out-of-network ATMs. Yet if you do ever use a non-MoneyPass ATM, the fee for withdrawals is just $0.85, which isn’t terrible.
Compare First Boulevard bank with other checking accounts
Use this table to compare other checking accounts based on their fees and ATM networks.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
You can’t send or receive wire transfers with a First Boulevard account, and it’s unclear if the account will support check deposits via the app. But you can move money into and out of the account in the following ways.
- Cash. Deposit cash at participating Green Dot locations, but you may face a fee of up to $4.95.
- Incoming ACH deposit. Link an external bank account and transfer funds for free at any time.
- Direct deposit. Your employer can deposit your paycheck directly into your First Boulevard account.
- ATMs. Use your First Boulevard bank debit card to withdraw cash for free at any MoneyPass ATM.
- Outgoing ACH deposit.Transfer funds to a linked bank account at your convenience.
How to contact First Boulevard bank customer service
If you have questions or need help with your account, you can reach a First Boulevard bank support specialist in the following ways.
- Call 1-888-281-2583.
- Send mail to First Boulevard Demand Deposit Account, PO Box 124, Dell Rapids, SD 57022.
- Send a secure message to a support specialist by tapping the Contact Us icon in the app.