Emprise Cash Back Checking account review
Earn 2% cash back but you’ll need to meet strict monthly requirements to qualify.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5.0
The Emprise Cash Back Checking account is a free checking account that pays up to 2% back for everyday purchases. But your total cash back is capped at $6 per month, and you’ll need to fulfill deposit and purchasing requirements every month to earn cash back and up to $25 in ATM reimbursements.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Kimberly Ellis is a writer at Finder. She hails from New York City with a BA from Queens College and a New York State teaching certificate. After teaching in both public and private schools, Kimberly decided to take the world by storm and dive into the media industry — where she covers everything from home loans and investing to K–12 education and shopping. She’s also an aspiring polyglot, always in a book and forever on the hunt for the perfect classic red lipstick.
The Emprise Cash Back Checking account offers up to 2% cash back on debit card purchases. But since you’re capped at $6 total cash back per month, it’s best for customers who spend less than $300 in debit card transactions per month.
And although you get cashback rewards and up to $25 a month in ATM reimbursements, you’ll need to jump through hoops to qualify: Make at least 12 debit card purchases, enroll in e-statements and receive at least one direct deposit per statement cycle. While you may be able to qualify for these requirements, you can find other rewards checking accounts that offer unlimited ATM reimbursements without needing to meet any requirements.
If you’re after a rewards checking account that’s lower maintenance and has a higher monthly cashback limit, consider an account like the Axos Bank CashBack Checking account that lets you earn up to 1% cash back up to $2,000 per month for signature-based transactions and also offers unlimited ATM reimbursements.
How do I open an Emprise Cash Back Checking account?
Register for a new checking account in six steps:
- Click Apply now.
- Select Cash Back Checking and click Open Account now.
- Create an account by filling in your name, email address and phone number.
- Verify your email address by entering the emailed code.
- Answer the questions to confirm your identity.
- Fund your account.
Meet the following criteria to qualify for an Emprise Cash Back Checking account:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or permanent resident
- $100 minimum deposit
You’ll need the following information when you apply for an account:
- Residential address
- Valid Social Security number
- Banking details to fund your account
6 benefits of the Emprise Cash Back Checking account
This account has the following advantages:
- Free account. The Emprise Cash Back Checking account is free to open and has no monthly service fees.
- Competitive cashback rate. Earn 2% cash back on debit card purchases — up to $6 per month — if you meet the monthly requirements.
- ATM rebates. Get up to $25 in ATM fee reimbursements per month if you fulfill Emprise Bank‘s monthly criteria.
- Personal finance tool. Emprise offers a free budgeting and analysis tool in its mobile app to help you view and organize your transactions, evaluate your spending habits and see your net worth.
3 things to watch out for
But you might put the brakes on when opening an account for these reasons:
- Opening deposit. Unlike some checking accounts that have no opening deposit, Emprise Cash Back Checking requires you fund your account with at least $100.
- Rigid monthly requirements to earn rewards. To earn 2% cash back and ATM fee refunds, you must make at least 12 debit card purchases, receive e-statements and have a minimum of one direct deposit each month.
- Limited ATM deposits. While Emprise supports direct deposit and mobile check deposits, only eight out of Emprise’s 34 in-network ATMs accept cash deposits.
- Overdraft protection will cost you. Although you can set up automatic transfers from another account when you overdraw your account, you’ll pay $8 per transfer. Alternatively, opt for Overdraft Privilege to allow Emprise to provide the funds if you don’t have enough. But you’ll pay a nonsufficient funds (NSF) fee of $32 every time.
Emprise Bank‘s ATM network and feesEmprise Bank has a network of 34 ATMs throughout Kansas, but only eight accept cash deposits. They’re also part of the Allpoint ATM Network, so you’ll get access to over 55,000 free ATMs in addition to those owned by Emprise.
You’ll pay $1.50 for each non-Emprise ATM transaction apart from what the ATM owner charges. But if your account is eligible for ATM rebates, Emprise Bank will reimburse you up to $4.99 per single transaction, totaling $25 per month.
Compare Emprise Cash Back Checking with other checking accounts
Use the table to see how Emprise Cash Back Checking compares with other checking accounts with various monthly fees, minimum deposits and ATM fees.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Access your money by:
- Eight deposit-accepting ATMs
- Incoming ACH transfer
- Direct deposit
- Mobile check deposit via the Emprise Bank Mobile App
- Incoming wire transfer
- Debit card
- Paper checks
- Online bill pay
- Mobile wallets
- Outgoing ACH transfer
- Outgoing wire transfer
How to contact Emprise Bank customer service
Get in touch with Emprise by:
- Stopping by a local branch.
- Calling 316-383-4301 weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. CT.
- Texting 855-491-0368 weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT and Saturdays 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. CT.
- Sending a general inquiry email through its Contact us page.
- Sending a secure email through the Emprise Bank Secure Email Message Center on its website.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.