Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare commercial car insurance for your industry
List of commercial car insurance by business type
Your business might need auto insurance for transport vans, utility pickups and more, but it can be difficult to find the right level of coverage within your budget. Compare guides by industry to find the best commercial auto policies for your business.
Car insurance guides by business type
Which businesses need commercial auto insurance?
Companies that rely on vehicles for normal business operations need commercial auto coverage. Most states have requirements for certain kinds of vehicles, like vehicles carrying passengers or trucks carrying cargo or hazardous goods.
- Retail & services
- Repair service
- Food service
- Food trucks
- Delivery drivers
- Technology companies
- Tech support
- Cable companies
- Automotive services
- Car dealers
- Repair and service shops
- Rental car business
- Car wash
- Pharmaceutical reps
- Professional services
- Real estate agents
- Insurance adjusters
- Public sector
- Government staff
- Military members
- Police officers
- Mail carriers
- Social advocacy groups
- Animal welfare groups
- Trade groups
What kind of coverage do I need for my business?
Coverage can vary depending on your business, how many vehicles you have and many other factors.
- Type of vehicles. Tow trucks need vastly different coverage from school buses. A broker or insurer with expertise in your industry can help you find the right coverage.
- Number of vehicles and drivers. More vehicles will make your policy more expensive, but you may be able to get a multi-vehicle discount.
- Location and travel distance. Accident rates, population density and road conditions can vary depending on your location, and the farther your drivers travel, the more risk factors insurers have to consider.
- Coverage types. Transportation companies might need higher passenger coverage limits, while construction business might need higher cargo coverage for expensive tools.
- Coverage limits. You may be able to adjust your coverage limits to suit the needs of your business.
- Storage. Keeping your company vehicles in a garage or safe, covered area typically means better rates.
- Credit history. A higher credit score should get you better rates or even a discount.
- Driving history. Drivers with clean records and specialized licenses could help bring down the cost of coverage.
Compare commercial car insurance
Every business that relies on vehicles needs auto insurance, but not every company needs the same coverage and policy. Your industry is a big factor in what kind of coverage and how much protection your business needs.
Compare your commercial auto options to find the right insurance for your business.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Does a car loan affect your mortgage application?
Find out how to increase your borrowing power and get approved for a mortgage even if you have a car loan.
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
How much does umbrella insurance cost?
Get a low-cost policy for liability expenses that exceed your car or home insurance coverage.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
New disability insurance option for the self-employed, starting at just $6/month
Get up to $500,000 in coverage for freelancers, gig workers and small businesses.
How to start a cleaning business
From making a business plan and getting insurance to marketing and setting your prices — here’s how to start your own cleaning business.
How to move to Canada
Explore the options and programs that Canada has in place to help you move to Canada.
Guardian dental insurance review 2021
This insurer has four dental plans to choose from — compare costs and features now.
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Combined life insurance review May 2021
Find unusually low face values for a whole life policy, ideal for supplemental insurance.
Ask an Expert