Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Compare commercial car insurance for your industry
List of commercial car insurance by business type
Your business might need auto insurance for transport vans, utility pickups and more, but it can be difficult to find the right level of coverage within your budget. Compare guides by industry to find the best commercial auto policies for your business.
Our top pick: Insurance321 commercial car insurance
Insurance321 matches you with an agent or broker who can find the best commercial car insurance coverage for your business.
- Large network of insurers
- Coverage for any business vehicle
- Fast, convenient matching
- Free quotes in minutes
- Fleet & commercial experts
- Coverage for any industry
- Supports 30,000 businesses
Car insurance guides by business type
Which businesses need commercial auto insurance?
Companies that rely on vehicles for normal business operations need commercial auto coverage. Most states have requirements for certain kinds of vehicles, like vehicles carrying passengers or trucks carrying cargo or hazardous goods.
- Retail & services
- Repair service
- Food service
- Food trucks
- Delivery drivers
- Technology companies
- Tech support
- Cable companies
- Automotive services
- Car dealers
- Repair and service shops
- Rental car business
- Car wash
- Pharmaceutical reps
- Professional services
- Real estate agents
- Insurance adjusters
- Public sector
- Government staff
- Military members
- Police officers
- Mail carriers
- Social advocacy groups
- Animal welfare groups
- Trade groups
Compare commercial car insurance
What kind of coverage do I need for my business?
Coverage can vary depending on your business, how many vehicles you have and many other factors.
- Type of vehicles. Tow trucks need vastly different coverage from school buses. A broker or insurer with expertise in your industry can help you find the right coverage.
- Number of vehicles and drivers. More vehicles will make your policy more expensive, but you may be able to get a multi-vehicle discount.
- Location and travel distance. Accident rates, population density and road conditions can vary depending on your location, and the farther your drivers travel, the more risk factors insurers have to consider.
- Coverage types. Transportation companies might need higher passenger coverage limits, while construction business might need higher cargo coverage for expensive tools.
- Coverage limits. You may be able to adjust your coverage limits to suit the needs of your business.
- Storage. Keeping your company vehicles in a garage or safe, covered area typically means better rates.
- Credit history. A higher credit score should get you better rates or even a discount.
- Driving history. Drivers with clean records and specialized licenses could help bring down the cost of coverage.
Every business that relies on vehicles needs auto insurance, but not every company needs the same coverage and policy. Your industry is a big factor in what kind of coverage and how much protection your business needs.
Compare your commercial auto options to find the right insurance for your business.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert