Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare commercial car insurance for your industry
List of commercial car insurance by business type
Your business might need auto insurance for transport vans, utility pickups and more, but it can be difficult to find the right level of coverage within your budget. Compare guides by industry to find the best commercial auto policies for your business.
Car insurance guides by business type
Which businesses need commercial auto insurance?
Companies that rely on vehicles for normal business operations need commercial auto coverage. Most states have requirements for certain kinds of vehicles, like vehicles carrying passengers or trucks carrying cargo or hazardous goods.
- Retail & services
- Repair service
- Food service
- Food trucks
- Delivery drivers
- Technology companies
- Tech support
- Cable companies
- Automotive services
- Car dealers
- Repair and service shops
- Rental car business
- Car wash
- Pharmaceutical reps
- Professional services
- Real estate agents
- Insurance adjusters
- Public sector
- Government staff
- Military members
- Police officers
- Mail carriers
- Social advocacy groups
- Animal welfare groups
- Trade groups
What kind of coverage do I need for my business?
Coverage can vary depending on your business, how many vehicles you have and many other factors.
- Type of vehicles. Tow trucks need vastly different coverage from school buses. A broker or insurer with expertise in your industry can help you find the right coverage.
- Number of vehicles and drivers. More vehicles will make your policy more expensive, but you may be able to get a multi-vehicle discount.
- Location and travel distance. Accident rates, population density and road conditions can vary depending on your location, and the farther your drivers travel, the more risk factors insurers have to consider.
- Coverage types. Transportation companies might need higher passenger coverage limits, while construction business might need higher cargo coverage for expensive tools.
- Coverage limits. You may be able to adjust your coverage limits to suit the needs of your business.
- Storage. Keeping your company vehicles in a garage or safe, covered area typically means better rates.
- Credit history. A higher credit score should get you better rates or even a discount.
- Driving history. Drivers with clean records and specialized licenses could help bring down the cost of coverage.
Compare commercial car insurance
Every business that relies on vehicles needs auto insurance, but not every company needs the same coverage and policy. Your industry is a big factor in what kind of coverage and how much protection your business needs.
Compare your commercial auto options to find the right insurance for your business.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
You can now pay for car insurance in Bitcoin – here’s how
You can pay for car insurance in Bitcoin, even if your insurer doesn’t accept it yet.
Combined life insurance review February 2021
Find unusually low face values for a whole life policy, ideal for supplemental insurance.
Compare life insurance for major organ transplant
Learn your policy options based on the type of transplant and your health status now.
Compare home renovation insurance
Transform your home without leaving insurance gaps while your home’s under construction.
Biden plans another boost for electric car stocks
Biden’s plan to replace the federal fleet with American-made electric vehicles gives another boost to a red-hot sector led by Tesla.
How to get life insurance after a DUI or driving offense
A poor driving record may result in higher rates on your life insurance, with some insurers turning you away altogether.
How to prepare for divorce: 9 attorneys share their advice
From gathering your financial documents to finding a good therapist, we asked the experts for their No. 1 tip for divorcing spouses.
Compare decreasing term life insurance
Save money by targeting your coverage to your largest debts.
6 types of insurance you can deduct on your taxes
Plus, 2 you can’t.
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
Ask an Expert