Cincinnati Life Insurance review August 2021
An agent-focused company with nonsmoker preferred rates even if you smoke the occasional cigar.
finder.com's rating: 4.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… you’re an occasional smoker but want cheaper rates.
- Pick something else if.. you don’t want to deal with an insurance agent.
18 to 65
$25,000 to $500,000
Required for all policies over $500,000 and applicants aged 60 and above
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term, Whole and Universal Life|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Required for all policies over $500,000 and applicants aged 60 and above|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||18-65 years old|
- Strong financial ratings
- Preferred class underwriting for occasional smokers
- Some nonmedical options
- Uses actual age instead of nearest age
- Website issues
- No online quotes
- Long underwriting process
Guaranteed insurability rider
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Cincinnati Life Insurance offers a standard set of policy options and riders to customize your policy, with cheaper rates for occasional tobacco users. But if you’re looking for a company with a better online presence and want to apply for your policy without having to go through an agent, shop around for life insurance to see if there’s a better fit for you.
Cincinnati Insurance life insurance rates
Cincinnati Insurance doesn’t offer online quotes or a sampling of its rates for life insurance. The company offers six underwriting rate classes for policies with a face value over $100,000, but only standard smoker and nonsmoker rates for $25,000 to $99,999 of coverage.
The following are sample monthly rates for a nonsmoker in excellent health applying for $250,000 in term life insurance coverage with the return of premium rider.
|Term length||Male, age 30||Female, age 30||Male, age 40||Female, age 40|
What affects my rate with Cincinnati Life Insurance?
Cincinnati Insurance offers cheaper rates with its Preferred Plus class for nonsmokers who haven’t used tobacco or nicotine in five years, and who meet certain medical and personal history criteria.
However, it extends the nonsmoker preferred rates for occasional cigar smokers and other non tobacco products.
How to get a quote from Cincinnati Life Insurance
Cincinnati Life Insurance works closely with independent insurance agents to sell their products. To get a quote or apply, find the agent nearest you using the Find an Agency link from the company home page.
What types of life insurance coverage does Cincinnati Life Insurance offer?
Choose from one of the following types of insurance:
- Term life insurance. Coverage options that range from 10- to 30-years. Cincinnati Life also offers a return of premium (ROP) option for terms of at least 20 years that refunds your base premiums if you outlive your policy. All terms come with the option to convert to a permanent life insurance policy.
- Universal life insurance. Your options include a standard adult and juvenile policy, and a more flexible option that allows you to limit your cash accumulation to lower your premium.
- Whole life insurance. Cincinnati Insurance offers a guaranteed whole life policy that ensures your rate classification never changes — so your premium won’t go up as long as you pay your premiums. And, if you decide to convert your term policy to a whole life policy within the first five years, you don’t have to re-establish insurability with a medical exam.
What riders can I add to my policy?
Cincinnati offers add-ons that customize your policy to meet your coverage needs, such as:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. Access 50% of your death benefit, up to $250,000, to help pay for medical bills if you’re diagnosed with a chronic or terminal illness.
- Accidental death benefit rider. Provides a lump sum payout in addition to your death benefit if you die accidentally, like in a car accident.
- Child rider. Life insurance that can convert to a whole life policy when they turn 18. Face value is up to five times the amount you purchased.
- Guaranteed insurability rider. Allows you to purchase additional life insurance at a specified date without having to go through the underwriting process again.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Waives your premium if you’re totally disabled for more than four consecutive months.
Cincinnati Life Insurance reviews and complaints
The company is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating with only 11 complaints, as of October 2020. Complaints surround claims issues and company communication, but Cincinnati Insurance Companies has addressed and resolved them all.
However, online customer reviews are scarce, especially those specific to life insurance, so it’s hard to determine customer satisfaction.
|AM Best financial rating||
1.67/5 out of 6 customer reviews
|Customer reviews verified as of||19 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like Cincinnati Life Insurance
Frequently asked questions about Cincinnati Life Insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.