How do Chase Bank and Wells Fargo compare?
- Choose this lender for great in-person help at branches in 22 states
- Watch out for frustrating customer service online and over the phone
- A good option for borrowers who want a mortgage from a well-known bank.
- Choose this lender for down payments as low as 3%
- Watch out for hidden fees and scandals
- A good option for borrowers who want to automate their payments
Neither of these seems the right fit?
- Flexible application process
- Online tracking
- Other banking products
- Member discounts
- Low down payment
- Use gift funds
- Easy application process
- Multiple fees
- Requires fair to excellent credit
- Limited branches for in-person service
- Slow customer service
As of October 2020, Chase Bank has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, yet reviewers on the site have only rated it 1.18 out of 5 stars. The bank’s score is only slightly better on Trustpilot, where it’s currently rated 1.3 out of 5. However, it’s important to note that these reviews are for Chase Bank as a whole and not necessarily its mortgage products.
Satisfied customers praise Chase’s mobile app, online access and personal service in branches. Most of the negative reviews focus on frustrating customer service, with customers having trouble getting in touch with a helpful representative, being passed around on the phone or just never getting the help they need.
Reviews for this lender are mixed, but trend toward negative. First-time homebuyers recommend Wells Fargo for its thorough guidance through the home loan process. Other borrowers praise its mortgage specialists for their professionalism and helpful advice over the phone.
Of the complaints, the most frequent was of customer service's slow response time and the excessive documents needed to assess loan applications.
As of February 2022, Trustpilot gives Wells Fargo a rating of 1.3 out of 5 stars based on 674 ratings. The Better Business Bureau doesn’t give Wells Fargo a rating, but it gets a customer score of 1.07 out of 5 stars based on 505 reviews, and the BBB has recorded over 1,712 complaints closed in the last year alone.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.