Finder may earn compensation from partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Compare car insurance coverage for hitting a pole

Get comprehensive coverage to cover damage to your car from running into a pole.

Hit a tree or drive into a pole, wall or anything else solid enough, and you might be looking at serious damage to your car, and possibly your health. Left with a damaged vehicle and a hefty repair bill, you may be wondering if these incidents are covered by your insurance. That all depends on your coverage and the cause of the incident.

How does car insurance cover me for hitting a pole?

Generally, the only kind of policy that will pay out for this kind of accident is comprehensive car insurance. If you have comprehensive coverage, your policy should cover the cost of repairs to your car, in line with the policy terms.

For example, your policy will probably cover the cost of repairs if you accidentally lost control on a wet road, despite driving well, or if you had to swerve to avoid a deer. Your claim would likely be denied if you hit the pole because you were driving drunk, or even if you were driving sober but refused to take a drug or alcohol test at the scene of the accident.

The only circumstances where cheaper third-party fire and theft car insurance will cover you are:

  • Your car is stolen. If a thief drives your car into a tree, a pole or other solid object, it may be covered.
  • An uninsured driver ran into a pole. If an uninsured driver, without third-party insurance of their own, runs into a pole — you might be covered.

Would I have to pay for damage to the pole?

It depends on who the pole belongs to and the exact circumstances of the crash, but typically yes, you will have to pay for any damage to the pole.

Fortunately, your car insurance should cover the cost, thanks to third-party liability insurance, which is included with all the main types of car insurance. In this case, the “third party” refers to whoever owns the pole, and “liability” refers to your obligation to pay for the damage.

What should I do after hitting a stationary object?

If you’ve been involved in an accident, you should take the following steps:

  • Assess the situation. If it’s serious, for example, if someone is injured, or you hit an electricity pole and caused a blackout, then you should call emergency services.
  • Gather information. Record any important information that may be needed for insurance. If you can, write down the details of the accident while it’s fresh in your mind and take photos, or have someone take them for you.
  • Decide who to call. Call emergency services first if necessary, and call the police non-emergency line within 24 hours to report the accident. It’s also important that you call your insurer as soon as reasonably possible. The insurer can usually arrange a tow truck, approve the cost of towing if needed, and may also be able to approve necessary repairs quickly.
  • Wait at the scene. Unless it is unsafe, you shouldn’t leave the scene until towing has been arranged. If your car is damaged, you shouldn’t attempt to drive it away. Doing so might cause further damage and jeopardize your claim.

What if the pole wasn’t damaged?

Say you bumped into a pole and merely scratched the paint on your bumper. If the pole’s clearly not damaged, you could consider not making a claim and paying for paint repairs out of pocket. Call your agent to confirm you won’t need to make a claim first. Otherwise, you might be charged with a hit and run or be unable to make a future claim if you find out the damage was more extensive than you thought.

Compare comprehensive car insurance

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Safe driver discount Available states
All 50 states
Your dedicated agent can help you find the best savings with multiple discounts and rewards programs.
All 50 states & DC
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
All 50 states
Get your most compatible insurance options via a "smart matching" method aimed at finding you value.

Compare up to 4 providers

Will I be fined for hitting an object?

No, car accidents themselves are not a fineable offense. However, the driving that causes them might be. If you do get fined after running into a pole or a tree it’s probably for the traffic infringement that led to the accident, rather than the accident itself. Fines are not covered by car insurance.

You won’t be “fined” for damage to the pole, tree or other property either, but you might be held liable for the cost of repair. This will generally be covered by third-party property car insurance.

Am I covered by insurance if I hit road debris?

Yes. Damage from road debris can be covered in the same way as hitting a pole.

The main difference is that if you hit road debris, it’s probably less likely to be your fault than hitting a tree. It’s possible that whoever was responsible for it being on the road might be held liable, in which case their liability coverage may pay for the damage to your vehicle.

However, this can only happen if the person responsible can be identified. If not, you might have to make an “at fault” claim, as you would if you drove into a tree.

Bottom line

Not all damage to your car can happen in a car wreck. Take the steps to cover yourself in any kind of accident on the road or off by comparing the right car insurance policy for you.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    AngApril 3, 2019

    Hi, I crashed into a wall recently as I was turning and was trying to get my dog to sit, as I did not want her to get hurt if I made an abrupt stop. I went over the curb and freaked, and I believe I pressed on the gas and hit a rock wall. The front blinker light is broken, and there are dents in the front right of my bumper, rubber is dragging, and the passenger door doesn’t fully open as something else is dented. Would it cost too much out of pocket to fix all these little things, or should I file a claim? I drove away as I lived close to the scene and a cop made sure I was ok, and just told me to park in my driveway as it wasn’t enough to take legal action. I’ve never been in a crash so I don’t know what I should do if I should call insurance, or pay out of pocket. Also, my dog is ok, I held her back when this happened.

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaApril 4, 2019Staff

      Hi Ang,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder. I’m sorry to hear about the accident. I hope all is well with you.

      Regarding your question, it is a must that you report this accident to your insurer even if you don’t intend to make a claim. It is worth noting that motor insurance policies are basically a contract between you and the insurer. Thus, you have a duty to let them know about the accident.

      In regards to whether you should make a claim or not, that would depend on you. You may want to check with your insurer and discuss your situation. They are in the best position to tell you the best course of action.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    GOALOctober 8, 2018

    Can I have case authorities where a car hits a wall and the owner of the wall is paid by the car’s insurers

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JoshuaOctober 10, 2018Staff

      Hi Goal,

      Thanks for getting in touch with finder. I hope all is well with you. :)

      The answer to your question depends on your policy and the specific situation you are into. Generally, if have a comprehensive car insurance, the owner of the wall would be paid by your car’s insurer. Moreover, if your policy specifically include property damage liability cover, then it would also apply in your situation.

      It would be a good idea to directly get in touch with your insurer and discuss ​your concern.

      I hope this helps. Should you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach us out again.

      Have a wonderful day!


Go to site