Assurity life insurance review 2021
This insurer's lineup includes a no medical exam policy and three types of whole life insurance.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if… You want a no-medical exam policy, or the ability to pay for your permanent policy up front.
- Choose a different provider if… You want an online quote, or you live in New York.
18 to 85
$25,000 to $10,000,000
Medical Exam Required
|Policies||Term, Whole, Universal|
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, or 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Yes|
|Available states||Not available in New York|
|Issue age||Not listed|
- No-exam policy
- Variety of whole life insurance
- Personalized service
- Potential to earn dividends
- Financial strength
- No online quotes
- Short customer service window
No info available
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Assurity boasts solid financial ratings, a strong reputation and a wide range of term and permanent policies — including three different types of whole life insurance. Plus, 50% of term life applicants qualify for accelerated underwriting, which means they can skip the medical exam.
But you’ll need to contact an agent to get a quote, and customer service department is only available during business hours on weekdays.
To explore your options, compare life insurance companies.
Assurity life insurance rates
Like most insurers, Assurity doesn’t disclose its rates online. But expect to pay more for coverage if you’re a smoker or senior, or have a serious health condition.
How to get a quote from Assurity life insurance
Assurity’s site doesn’t support online quotes. Here’s how to reach an agent:
- Phone. 800-869-0355
- Email. firstname.lastname@example.org.
What types of life insurance coverage does Assurity offer?
Assurity sells a mix of term and permanent policies as part of its LifeScape product line:
- Term life insurance. This policy is available in 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year terms, with coverage amounts ranging from $25,000 to $10 million. Assurity also has an accelerated underwriting option for eligible applicants that skips the medical exam.
- Whole life insurance. Assurity offers a standard whole life policy with the potential to earn dividends on the company’s profits, plus a joint whole life policy that covers two people. If you want to pay for your entire policy up front, the insurer also has a single premium option.
- Universal life insurance. This policy offers lifelong coverage and grows cash value. It also comes with flexible premiums and death benefits.
What riders can I add to my policy?
Assurity offers a long list of riders that you may be able to add to your coverage:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. Allows you to withdraw a specified percentage of your death benefit if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Accidental death benefit rider. If you die due to an accident, your beneficiaries will receive an additional benefit up to a maximum of $350,000.
- Child rider. Covers a child or multiple children under your policy.
- Conversion rider. This add-on allows you to convert your term life policy into permanent life insurance within a specified time period.
- Critical illness benefit rider. Pays out a portion of the death benefit if you’re diagnosed with a critical illness.
- Disability income benefit rider. If you’ve been injured in an accident, the insurer will pay monthly benefits — $1,800 a month — for a specified period of time.
- Guaranteed insurability rider. Gives you the option to purchase extra coverage later on without having to go through the underwriting process.
- Level term rider. Confirms your benefit amounts stay the same during the term of your policy.
- Payor benefit rider. If the person paying the premium dies or becomes disabled, the insurer will waive premiums for a specified period.
- Portability rider. If you’re participating in group coverage, this add-on makes sure you can take your coverage with you if you change jobs.
- Spouse rider. Allows you to add life insurance for your spouse without purchasing a separate policy.
- Term insurance rider. Adds additional insurance to your permanent policy for a specified amount of time.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Pauses your premiums if you can’t work due to a disability.
Assurity life insurance reviews and complaints
Assurity isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but has an A+ rating for its customer engagement, as of October 2020. The BBB has received 3 complaints over the past three years, which is a good sign in terms of customer satisfaction.
In 2015 Assurity became a certified B Corporation, which means it meets high standards of public transparency, legal accountability, environmental sustainability and social impact. It’s the largest insurance company in the world to hold this title.
|AM Best financial rating||
|Customer reviews verified as of||18 January 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like Assurity
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.