Wicket banking app review
Earn up to 10% APY, but your interest rate will eventually revert to 0%.Wicket app is a free banking account that comes with a debit card. It offers a stackable, six-month 0.5% APY bonus if you make successful referrals and spend at least $75 each month. You could earn up to 10% APY if you exhaust all 20 of your referrals at once. But you won’t accrue interest on balances above $10,000 and your interest rate will drop to zero after your bonuses expire.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||10.00% on balances of $0 to $10,000 if you make 20 successful referrals and spend at least $75 each month|
|Fee||$0 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|ATMs||more than 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs in the US and 2.1 million Cirrus ATMs across 210 countries|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%|
Michael Benninger is a personal finance writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Blinkist, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael graduated from Rowan University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. When he’s not writing, you can usually find him watching movies, enjoying the outdoors or boarding planes to distant destinations.
With the Wicket app, you can earn a yield of up to 10% if you can convince 20 people to sign up for an account. But even if you do that, you’ll ultimately end up earning 0% six months after your last referral. If you’re well connected, Wicket can help you earn a hefty amount of interest in a short amount of time, but high-yield savings accounts make more sense as a long-term solution.
How do I open a Wicket account?
It only takes a few minutes to open a Wicket bank account, but you’ll need an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Visit Wicket.com and select Get the App.
- Download and install the app onto your device.
- Follow the setup instructions to create an account.
- Link a funding source and make your first deposit.
- Wait five to seven days for your Wicket card to arrive in the mail.
To be eligible for a Wicket banking account, you must meet the following requirements:
- US resident
- At least 18 years old
- Access to an iOS device
You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Name, address and phone number
- Email address
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Government-issued ID
What are the benefits of the Wicket app?
There are several distinct benefits to using a Wicket banking account, including the following:
- Earn up to 10% interest. Wicket offers a six-month APY boost of 0.5% for each of up to 20 referrals, meaning you could earn up to 10% APY if you successfully refer 20 people at once.
- No fees or minimum balance. Wicket doesn’t require a minimum balance or charge any fees, but owners of out-of-network ATMs may apply a surcharge.
- Early access to your paycheck. Wicket‘s early-access feature allows you to get paid up to two days earlier than you usually would when you set up direct deposit for your paycheck.
- Budgeting tools. Manage your money with tools like expense categorization and automatic round ups. Plus you can link other accounts to get a full picture of your finances.
What should I look out for?
But there are a few drawbacks when it comes to Wicke appt:
- Interest drops to 0%. Your interest rate will drop to 0% once your referral bonuses expire or if your balance exceeds $10,000.
- Only 20 referrals. Once you’ve used all of your referrals, you won’t receive any more.
- iOS only. The Wicket app is exclusively available on iOS devices. Wicket is looking into offering it on Android, but no timeline has been released yet.
Wicket app’s ATM network and feesWicket accounts come with a debit card you can use for free at more than 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs in the US and 2.1 million Cirrus ATMs across 210 countries.
Compare with other banking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?Wicket doesn’t accept cash deposits or support wire transfers, but you can deposit or withdraw funds using the following methods:
- Automated clearing house (ACH) transfer
- Direct deposit
- Mobile deposit
- ACH transfer
- Cash-back at retailers