Mazda 2 insurance group and cost
Compare car insurance costs for your Mazda 2 by age and location.
The Mazda 2 is a small family car produced by the Japanese manufacturer since 2002. It’s not as cheap to buy and insure as other vehicles in this class, but it packs more of a punch than most of these cars when it comes to power and acceleration. In this guide, you’ll learn the key facts about insuring a Mazda 2, including how to keep your insurance premium costs down.
Mazda 2 insurance groups and cost by driver’s age
When it comes to car insurance, all vehicles are given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive) which helps determine the cost of your premium. Mazda 2 models range from insurance groups 13 to 20, so you can generally expect the cost of insurance to be fairly reasonable.
However, the the cost of insurance can vary between insurance groups based on a number of different factors including your car’s performance, safety features and cost of repair. For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £756 for cover on a Mazda 2 1.5 (75bhp) SE 5d (insurance group 13), or around £816 for a Mazda 2 SkyActiv-G 115ps GT Sport 5d which falls in insurance group 20.
You can find the insurance group, and likely premium cost, of your Mazda 2 model in the table below.
Average Mazda 2 insurance cost
To provide you with an idea of how much it may cost you to insure your Mazda 2, we ran several quotes to find an average figure. Based on our results, on average, you could insure your Mazda 2 with a comprehensive policy for the monthly price of £73.74, or an annual sum of £776.16.
Mazda 2 insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of Mazda 2 insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, there are other factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premiums, one of the biggest being your location.
To show how much your location can impact your premium, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Mazda 2 1.5 Sport Nav (Leather) 5d.
- Expensive: £948 (London SE1)
- Average: £791 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £578 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my Mazda 2 insurance rate?
Along with the insurance group, there are a few key factors that impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Driver location. Where you live helps determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or you’ll be involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £932 for insurance for a Mazda 2 1.5d Sport 5d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £781.
- Driver age. The younger you are, the more risk you represent to insurers, and the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. The average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,648 for the Mazda 2 SkyActiv-G 90ps GT Sport Nav+ 5d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £863.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your vehicle’s engine size
- Your marital status
- Your credit history
- What type of job you have
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity
- No claims discount
How can I save on my Mazda 2 car insurance?
Whilst car insurance is a necessary expense, you don’t want it to leave you out of pocket. When searching for insurance, you’ll want to find the best deal for a price that’s within your budget. There are a few tricks you can try in order to save on your car insurance premiums, and we’ve listed them below.
- Limit your car usage (where possible). Occasionally deciding to walk or get public transport, rather than using your car, can help to save on your premiums.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. Whilst it might be scary to part with a large sum of money in one go, by paying annually you can save an average of £108.72 a year.
- Install extra safety measures on your vehicle. The safer your car is, the less of a risk it will be for companies to insure. By adding extra safety measures, you’re quite likely to lower your premium.
- Don’t just accept your renewal quote. Although it might be time consuming, when it’s time for renewal make sure you shop around and don’t just settle for the renewal price given to you – there may be cheaper options out there!
Mazda 2 facts and trivia
- The Mazda 2 won the World Car Of The Year award in 2008.
- In North America, most new versions of this vehicle are sold as a Toyota Yaris
There’s a lot to enjoy about the Mazda 2, including the fact you can significantly reduce the cost of your car insurance premium with the tips in this guide.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
MG TF insurance group
Find out which insurance group the MG TF falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Pulsar insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Pulsar falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Vauxhall Vivaro insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Vivaro falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert