Cryptocurrencies are speculative and investing in them involves significant risks - they're highly volatile, vulnerable to hacking and sensitive to secondary activity. The value of investments can fall as well as rise and you may get back less than you invested. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. This content shouldn't be interpreted as a recommendation to invest. Before you invest, you should get advice and decide whether the potential return outweighs the risks. Finder, or the author, may have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.
Dogecoin (DOGE) price prediction 2023
Our panel is split on whether or not Dogecoin (DOGE) is worth investing in.
Estimated reading time: 2 min
Due to the potential for losses, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) considers this investment to be high risk.
What are the key risks?
1. You could lose all the money you invest
- The performance of most cryptoassets can be highly volatile, with their value dropping as quickly as it can rise. You should be prepared to lose all the money you invest in cryptoassets.
- The cryptoasset market is largely unregulated. There is a risk of losing money or any cryptoassets you purchase due to risks such as cyber-attacks, financial crime and firm failure.
2. You should not expect to be protected if something goes wrong
- The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) doesn't protect this type of investment because it's not a 'specified investment' under the UK regulatory regime – in other words, this type of investment isn't recognised as the sort of investment that the FSCS can protect. Learn more by using the FSCS investment protection checker.
- The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) will not be able to consider complaints related to this firm or Protection from the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) does not cover poor investment performance. If you have a complaint against an FCA regulated firm, FOS may be able to consider it. Learn more about FOS protection here.
3. You may not be able to sell your investment when you want to
- There is no guarantee that investments in cryptoassets can be easily sold at any given time. The ability to sell a cryptoasset depends on various factors, including the supply and demand in the market at that time.
- Operational failings such as technology outages, cyber-attacks and comingling of funds could cause unwanted delay and you may be unable to sell your cryptoassets at the time you want.
4. Cryptoasset investments can be complex
- Investments in cryptoassets can be complex, making it difficult to understand the risks associated with the investment.
- You should do your own research before investing. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
5. Don't put all your eggs in one basket
- Putting all your money into a single type of investment is risky. Spreading your money across different investments makes you less dependent on any one to do well.
- A good rule of thumb is not to invest more than 10% of your money in high-risk investments.
If you are interested in learning more about how to protect yourself, visit the FCA's website here.
For further information about cryptoassets, visit the FCA's website here.
Our panel thinks Dogecoin (DOGE) will be worth US$0.13 by the end of 2023 before rising to US$0.33 by 2025. Finder analyses expert predictions and the latest survey was conducted in April 2023 where a panel of 32 industry specialists gave their thoughts on how DOGE will perform over the next decade. All prices mentioned in this report are in US dollars.
Dogecoin price predictions for 2023, 2025 and 2030
On average, our panellists feel that Dogecoin (DOGE) will be worth $0.13 by the end of 2023.
Looking further ahead, they predict that DOGE will be worth $0.33 by 2025 before rising to $0.75 by 2030.
The panel's predictions for the price of DOGE by 2025 were up very slightly compared to our January 2022 survey results when the panel saw DOGE closing out 2025 at $0.32.
However, the panel was more bullish on the price of DOGE by 2030. Its April 2023 prediction of $0.75 is about 39% higher than its January 2022 prediction of $0.54.
"Despite the fact that most people think Dogecoin is a joke and should therefore have no value, humor has real market value, and Dogecoin is likely to thrive and survive because the community is having fun," Ruadhan O, creator of Seasonal Tokens, said. "The sober experts who see no value in a joke are the ones who don't understand the market forces involved."
Paul Levy, senior lecturer at the University of Brighton, also believes that the Dogecoin community may continue to drive the price of DOGE higher.
"There's a grassroots loyalty in some investors ideologically aligned to its community roots and origin story," Levy said. " If it does continue to marginally trend upwards it may be time to carefully invest."
However, not all of our panellists are optimistic about the price of DOGE. A number of our panellists see DOGE as little more than an asset with no real value and think that it will ultimately fail.
"I am not convinced that any plan around Dogecoin could be successful in the long run," Yves Renno, head of trading at Wirex Ltd, said.
Is now the time to buy, sell or hold Dogecoin (DOGE)?
46% of our panellists feel that it's time to sell DOGE.
31% think it's time to hold the asset, while only 23% say it's time to buy it.
"This coin makes no sense," Elvira Sojli said. The associate professor at University of New South Wales (UNSW) believes it's time to sell DOGE. "It was started as a joke and it remains so."
Jeremy Britton, CFO at Boston Trading.co, agrees that it's time to sell DOGE.
"I believe that [because DOGE has] zero utility, zero store of value and [can be] infinitely inflated," Britton said. "DOGE is worth zero."
Shubham Munde, senior research analyst at Market Research Future, believes it's time to hold DOGE, but not necessarily because the token is underpinned by good fundamentals.
"The popularity of DOGE is soaring on social media, and its low cost will attract more beginner investors during the upcoming years," Munde said.
Aaron Rafferty, CEO and co-founder of StandardDAO, said DOGE is a buy based on the idea that the asset may have a use case in the future.
"People love to pump DOGE, and, who knows, maybe the network will gain utility," Rafferty said.
Will Elon Musk always have a positive influence on DOGE's price?
38% of our panellists feel that Elon Musk will always have a positive influence on DOGE's price, while 35% say that he'll eventually lose influence over the price of DOGE.
19% feel that he'll actually have a negative influence on the price of DOGE in the future.
A number of our panellists think that Elon Musk's influence is the primary factor that keeps driving the price of DOGE higher.
"I don't see any fundamentals behind DOGE – only Musk influence," Ilya Volkov, CEO of YouHodler, said.
Sathvik Vishwanath, CEO and founder of Unocoin Technologies Pvt Ltd., feels the same way.
"Its value has been heavily influenced by social media hype and the public statements of influential figures such as Elon Musk," Vishwanath said.
"Any predictions or views on Dogecoin's price should be taken with caution," he said.
Dogecoin holds a unique and cherished place in cryptocurrency folklore. It was created as a joke back in 2013, and, to the surprise of many, its market cap rose from nothing to almost $90 billion at its peak in May 2021.
Its current market cap is over $10 billion, though, which provides some indication of just how volatile the asset is.
If you're thinking of buying any DOGE, make sure you carefully consider the factors that could drive its value up or down before making a purchase.
Meet our panel
More guides on Finder
How to buy Arbitrum (ARB) in the UK
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Arbitrum, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (ARB).
How to buy Shiba Inu coin (SHIB) in
Learn how to buy in with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.
How to buy Solana (SOL) in the UK
Learn how to buy Solana in the UK with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.
How to buy Dogecoin in the UK
Learn how to buy Dogecoin in the UK with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.
Cardano price prediction 2022
A panel of industry specialists give us their predictions on the price of Cardano over the next decade.
Litecoin (LTC) price prediction 2023
Learn how to stake Solana (SOL) by following a step-by-step guide. Start earning interest on your crypto today.
How to buy XRP in the UK
Learn how to buy Ripple in the UK with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.
How to buy BNB in the UK
Learn how to buy Binance Coin in the UK with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.
How to buy Cardano in the UK
Learn how to buy Cardano in the UK with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.
How to buy Litecoin in the UK
Learn how to buy Litecoin in the UK with our simple step-by-step guide and tips on what to know before you get started.