One Call Insurance temporary car insurance review
We've checked out the temporary car insurance through One Call Insurance. The broker says it can arrange instant cover for 1 day up to 28 days, and can cover learner drivers. Here's what else you need to know.
The temporary car insurance offered through One Call Insurance comes comprehensive as standard and won’t affect a no claims bonus. What’s more, the policies can be enhanced with extra protection such as breakdown or European use cover. Read our analysis here.
Compare temporary car insurance providers
Who is One Call Insurance?
One Call Insurance is a car insurance broker that was established in 1995, when it offered car and home insurance to customers in South Yorkshire.
Since then, it has expanded and now offers annual car insurance to the whole of the UK, in addition to other financial products such as van, motorbike, home and travel insurance. It also offers temporary car insurance.
One Call Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
One Call Insurance’s policy features
- Flexible insurance. You can choose cover from just one day up to 28 days.
- Comprehensive cover. The highest level of cover comes as standard. If you are responsible for causing an accident, you’ll be protected for damage to other people’s vehicles or property and for your own vehicle against accidental damage and vandalism. You’ll also have protection against any fire damage or theft of your car.
- Unaffected annual no claims discount. A claim made on a temporary policy won’t affect any annual no claims discount built up.
- Instant cover. Get instant cover from the moment you purchase.
What does One Call Insurance’s temporary cover include?
Here are some of the benefits of One Call Insurance’s temporary car insurance:
- Legal liability
- Loss or damage by fire, theft or vandalism
- Accidental damage
- Breakdown cover (optional)
- EU cover (optional)
Can anyone take out One Call Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
Unfortunately not. To get short-term car cover, both you and the car must meet One Call Insurance’s eligibility criteria:
- Be aged 19-75 (or 17+ for learner drivers)
- Have a full and valid UK, EU, EEA, South African, Australian or New Zealand driver’s licence, held for at least three months (six months for under-25s)
- Have a permanent address
- Have had no more than 2 fault claims in the previous 3 years
- Have no more than 9 penalty points on your driver’s licence
- Not have been disqualified from driving within the previous 18 months
- Have had no criminal convictions within the previous 5 years
The car must:
- Be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
- Have no more than 8 seats including the driver’s seat
- Not have had any cosmetic or performance-related modifications (some other modification exceptions apply)
- Not be impounded
- Not be on loan from a vehicle hire company
- Not have been imported
- Not be used to carry goods or passengers for hire or reward
- Not be used to carry hazardous goods
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have agreed to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. A compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age of your motorbike and your riding experience.
A voluntary excess is on top and is normally set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess – which should lower your premium.
All temporary car insurance policies offered to One Call Insurance customers have a compulsory excess of £250 up to £1,250, depending on the length of cover required, the age and experience of the driver and the age and condition of the vehicle amongst other factors.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for One Call Insurance’s temporary car insurance?
You should call the DayInsure claims line on 08000 156 166 to make a claim. This 24-hour claims line is open 7 days a week.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Your own insurance policy details
- Details about the incident
- Names and contact details of everyone involved in the incident such as third parties, passengers and witnesses
- Details about the damage or injuries sustained
It’s vital that you let your insurer know about an incident straight away, even if it’s not your fault. Failure to do this could result in a rejected claim later on.
Pros and cons for One Call Insurance
- Making a claim won’t affect a no claims discount built up on an annual policy
- Comprehensive cover as standard
- The cover can begin instantly
- Cover can be enhanced with extra protection
- You can only pay upfront
- Cover for a maximum of 28 days only
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Cheapest car insurance in the UK Good car insurance doesn't have to be expensive. Compare cheap car insurance quotes to start saving today.
John Lewis Finance car insurance review Find out the key details about John Lewis Finance car insurance in our review and compare quotes to get the right deal for you and your car.
InsureLearnerDriver discount codes You can save on expensive car insurance using our InsureLearnerDriver discount codes and vouchers.
Voided and cancelled car insurance Read our guide to understand why honesty is always the best policy to avoid your car insurance being voided or cancelled.
How car modifications affect insurance Before you pimp your ride, find out which modifications are likely to increase your insurance premiums and which ones will see your car cover fall.
Tax free cars Thinking about buying a new car? Read our guide first as you may find a way to avoid paying road tax altogether and save on your car insurance.
Specialist car insurance Read our guide to discover all the different types of specialist car insurance and find out if you can save on your car cover.
By Miles car insurance review By Miles offers pay-as-you-go car insurance for those who only drive occasionally.
Why is car insurance so expensive? Find out how to cut the cost of your car insurance without cutting any cover.
Instant car insurance See how you can get immediate cover and compare instant car insurance quotes now.