Car insurance for international students

Heading to the UK as an international student? Learn the steps to getting car insurance and driving legally in the United Kingdom.


Get cheap car insurance quotes

Quotezone comparison logo
  • Save up to £271* on your car insurance
  • 97% of reviewers recommend Quotezone
  • Compare over 110 insurance providers
Get a quote

The United Kingdom has long been a popular option for overseas students looking to study abroad. If you are currently living in the UK as a temporary student or planning on visiting, you may have considered purchasing a car for getting around your area or for trips away. Whether you are borrowing a car or purchasing a car of your own for the duration of your stay, you will need to ensure that you have adequate cover in place.

This article will explore what you need to know about getting car insurance as an international student, licensing requirements and steps to pay less for cover.

What you need to know about car insurance in the UK

Every driver in the UK is required by law to have car insurance. Driving without car insurance could lead to a fine, points on your drivers licence, or even the removal of your licence altogether.

The three main types of car insurance are:

Third party car insurance. This is the legal minimum level of cover in the UK and provides the least protection. This means you’re covered if you cause an accident resulting in damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property. It doesn’t cover any other costs like repair to your own car or medical bills if you sustain an injury.

Third party fire and theft. This type of policy offers the same level of cover as that offered by third party policies, but it also protects against loss or damage if your car is damaged by fire or stolen.

Fully comprehensive. If you’re looking for the greatest level of cover from your car insurance policy, you should consider fully comprehensive car insurance, also known as fully comp cover. This includes cover for damage to your own car as well as any damage suffered by others from a range of causes, including accident, fire and theft. This offers a more extensive level of protection than third party and third party fire and theft car insurance.

Which car insurance should I choose?

You are not legally required to get additional cover to third party insurance, but going without means that the slightest accident could cause severe financial stress. Scratching a more expensive car, clipping a petrol pump or anything else might blow your budget with a significant added cost.

With third party cover, it really only protects other people and their vehicle(s) if an accident is your fault. Everything else is your responsibility.

That’s why fully comprehensive car insurance is a popular option. The main cost is third party liability, which all the policies have, and a lot of the available discounts are for comprehensive cover only. To get a sense of the price difference, you can get a quote for third party only insurance and compare it to a comprehensive car insurance quote.

When you do, remember that there are ways to reduce the cost of car insurance, and that many of these will only be available with comprehensive cover.

See how the different policies protect your needs:

With third party only cover, you:

  • can make a claim for any damage or injury caused to other people and their vehicles when an accident is your fault
  • can’t make a claim for any repairs needed for your car or for any injuries you sustain.

With third party fire and theft cover, you:

  • can make a claim for any damage or injury caused to other people and their vehicles when an accident is your fault
  • can make a claim to replace your car if it’s stolen
  • can make a claim on damage from an attempted theft such as a smashed window and stolen car radio.
  • can make a claim on an arson attack or fire damage to your car
  • can’t make a claim for any repairs needed for your car or for any injuries you sustain.

With fully comp cover, you:

  • can make a claim for any damage or injury caused to you and/or other people and their vehicles when an accident is your fault.
  • can make a claim if it’s unclear who is to blame for an accident. For instance, if you return to your car after a day trip and see that someone else has obviously reversed into your car in the carpark and driven off.
  • can rest easier knowing that you have an added level of protection and won’t have to shell out for expensive repairs, just the excess, if any, agreed on the policy when making a claim.

Can international students drive in the UK?

Finder’s insurance expert Ronny Lavie answers

Ronny Lavie

As an overseas student with a valid driver’s licence issued from your own country, you can usually drive in the UK for up to 12 months. After that, you may need to exchange your licence or even take a driving test in the UK.

Whether you can use an overseas driver’s licence after the first year depends on which country you passed your test in. Further information can be found on the British Government’s services and information page.

  • As an overseas student, your overseas driver’s licence must be current and valid. Any conditions that apply to your overseas licence will likely also apply in the UK.
  • It’s advisable that you keep your driving licence with you at all times while driving.
  • Your car must be registered with the UK Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and have up-to-date vehicle tax. You’ll also need to have a current MOT certificate, which is an annual safety check performed on vehicles.
  • Finally, it’s your responsibility to make sure the car you drive is roadworthy and safe to drive.

Lastly, circumstances can vary, so it’s always a good idea to should check for information specific to your situation and location at the relevant website.

How much does student car insurance cost in the UK?

The cost of student car insurance varies depending on your personal circumstances. How likely you are to make a claim and what risk group an insurer places you in determines the cost of your car insurance.

These are some of the elements that can affect the cost of your policy:

  • Male or female. Males are statistically at higher risk of accidents, which is why women often pay less for car insurance than men.
  • Your age. If you are under 25 years of age, you will pay more for car insurance. Once you turn 26, you can start getting cheaper insurance with lower premiums.
  • Where you park the car. If your accommodation comes with undercover car parking, you can often pay less for car insurance than someone who has to park on the street.
  • How much your car costs. More expensive cars cost more to insure.
  • How much you drive. If you drive long distances every day, you will usually have to pay more for car insurance than someone who only drives short distances or not very often.
  • Your driving record. Safe drivers, who don’t have a history of car accidents, are often able to pay less for car insurance.
  • Where you are staying. If you live in a safe neighbourhood, you can often get lower prices than someone who lives in an area with a higher crime rate.
  • Your car’s safety rating. All cars have a safety rating, and it may also have certain safety devices. Insurers will often use these to set prices, and they will give lower premiums for safer cars.

Your car insurance premiums are the regular, ongoing costs of having a policy, but they are not the only expense. It’s also important to consider the excess.

  • The deductible is a fee that you need to pay when making a claim.
  • There might be more than one deductible on your policy, depending on the deductible chosen for each type of coverage.
  • You are often able to choose your own basic deductible. A higher deductible will have lower premiums, while a lower deductible will have higher premiums. The choice is up to you, and how you want to balance the costs, but make sure you can afford to pay the excess should you be required to.

There are many large and reputable car insurance providers. If you only get quotes from one, it’s likely that you will end up paying more than you need to for insurance. By getting a number of quotes, you can find the cheapest car insurance with the coverage you need.

How to pay less for car insurance

There are a lot of different ways to reduce the cost of car insurance and make sure you have effective cover.

Some insurers have specialist policies designed for students. While these are still likely to be a little more expensive for drivers under the age of 25, specialised policies offer more tailored cover, so you are less likely to pay for insurance elements you don’t need. Insurers with dedicated student policies might also have different levels of cover, so that you can choose the one that best suits both your requirements and your bank balance.

To find out how much you’ll be paying, get quotes from multiple insurers.

Bottom line

Making sure you have the appropriate level of car insurance if you decide to take some time out of your studies to take a road trip around the UK should be your top priority.

Taking in all the sights under your own steam is a great way to travel. And with careful research and shopping around, you could save money on a policy that offers protection for you and your wheels at a price that’s right for you.

Frequently asked questions

The offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of products we can track; we don't cover every product on the market...yet. Unless we've indicated otherwise, products are shown in no particular order or ranking. The terms "best", "top", "cheap" (and variations), aren't product ratings, although we always explain what's great about a product when we highlight it; this is subject to our terms of use. When making a big financial decision, it's wise to consider getting independent financial advice, and always consider your own financial circumstances when comparing products so you get what's right for you.
*51% of consumers could save £257.97 on their Car Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next three cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from January 2021 data. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances and how you selected your current insurance supplier.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    ArifAugust 13, 2020

    hi, i am an international student having domastic licence so can i drive a car in the uk with that licence which is not an international licence?thanks

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      LizAugust 13, 2020Staff

      Hi Arif. It will depend – there’s further info about this in Ronny’s section on our page. Here’s the link to the UK government info:

    Default Gravatar
    BashaJune 2, 2020

    At the time submitting documents like driving licence and address proof, the problem comes for a student because student who lives in a shared house don’t have his/her name on utility bills as it was handled by some other in the same house, but he/she are actually living in the house and paying the is there any other alternative to prove the address verification?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RonnyJune 3, 2020Staff

      Hi Basha,

      Thank you for reaching out.

      The best thing to do in this situation is to ask the insurer what documents they’ll accept. Some of them will take a bank or credit card statement, or even a mobile phone bill.

      I hope this helps, but let us know if you have any more queries.

      Kind regards,

Go to site