BMW released the X4 model in 2014. The X4 shares many similarities with BMW’s older X3 model, but was established in part to marry BMW’s reputation for comfort and efficiency with the excitement and dynamism offered by competitors, in particular Porsche.
The X4 is a balance of power and comfort. Read on to find out what insuring an X4 would look like and how you can save on your premiums.
BMW X4 insurance cost by driver’s age
Average insurance rates for the BMW X4
Our research on the X4 model indicates that in order to keep the car sufficiently insured, you can expect to pay £59.92 each month. This is only slightly higher than the insurance rates offered for the X4’s ‘older brother’, the X3. If you’d rather pay in a single annual sum, that would cost you an average total of £654.57 every year.
We used the following information as a base from which to launch our insurance inquiries:
- Driver was a thirty-year-old male teacher from Exeter.
- Factory standard alarm/immobiliser technology.
- Five years no-claims bonus.
- An average of 10,000 miles driven per year.
- This was the only car belonging to the driver.
- Used for social, domestic, and commuting reasons.
- Car parked in a driveway overnight.
- We identified the car as a 2018 model BMW X4 in all quotes.
- Comprehensive insurance.
How can I save on my premiums?
We’ve compiled a list of some of the main offenders when it comes to varying your insurance premiums. Whilst some are not factors that can be changed easily to bring down your cost, others are minor fixes that might save you money on your car insurance.
- Pay annually. Paying for your insurance in monthly instalments is actually more expensive overall than if you were to pay an annual sum. While we of course acknowledge that this may not be financially viable for some drivers, to do so could save you an average of £64.51 ever year.
- Named drivers. Only name drivers on the insurance policy that regularly drive the vehicle, you can easily add on others at a later date.
- Clear out the garage. If you have a garage – clear it out and park your car there! Parking your car in a garage reduces your risk to insurers and therefore reduces your premiums too.
- Driver details. Factors that affect your insurance rates, but are impossible or difficult to amend, include the driver’s age, sex, marital status, and geographical location.
- Clean driving record. Insurance companies will likely offer better deals on premiums to drivers they deem less-risky on the roads and a more a stable investment. You can help your case by maintaining a good credit report, keeping your no-claims discount, and avoiding conviction for traffic offences (the most common of which is speeding).
- Safety features. Do a bit of research (or see below!) about what safety features are available on the X4. The extra money used to invest in additional security or safety measures can be treated as an investment that will save you money on your insurance.
- Mileage.Try to keep your annual mileage in line with the national average, 10,000 miles per year. Insurance companies will not penalise for driving more, but they may offer higher premiums.
Facts about the BMW X4
- The X4 was first revealed, to acclaim, at the Auto Shanghai convention in 2013.
- The X4 range begins at approximately £43,000 in the UK.
- Whilst there are various types of X4 available, the X4 M40i variant will allegedly do 0-60mph in just 4.6 seconds.
How safe is the BMW X4?
When it comes to buying and insuring a car, safety for yourself and your passengers is inevitably one of your top concerns. Whilst the X4 has not yet been submitted for a formal crash test with Euro NCAP, multiple reviewers have voiced their belief that the X4 will inherit the glowing rating received by the X3 model, which boasted perfect ratings and significantly higher than average scores for adult and child occupant protection.
If you’d like to extend the vehicle’s safety measures behind the factory standard, you’d be wise to invest into what has been labelled the ‘BMW Personal Co-Pilot’ package. Extra technology here includes tools to warn the driver if they are nearing cross-lane traffic, one-way streets, and if they begin drifting between lanes. For an extra bit of money, this could bring down the cost of your insurance quotes. It is worth negotiating with your insurer what extra safety and security features you can add in return for lower premiums.
Ask an Expert