BMW M4 insurance group
Compare car insurance costs for your BMW M4 based on your age and location.
The BMW M4 is a high-performance coupe, which embodies the class that surrounds the BMW brand. This vehicle has been around since 2014, with the latest edition receiving one of the most dramatic redesigns in the German manufacturer’s history. In this guide, you’ll find out how much it costs to insure based on the age and location of the driver.
What insurance group does the BMW M4 fall under?
Every vehicle on the road is assigned a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive), and this determines the cost of your premium. BMW M4 models range from insurance group 42 to 44, meaning insurance costs tend to be a lot higher than average. A 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £1,062 for cover on a BMW M4 Coupe 2d that is in insurance group 42 or around £1,096 for a BMW M4 Convertible 2d DCT that is in insurance group 44.
|Model / Version||Group (1-50)||20yrs||30yrs||40yrs||50yrs||Get quote|
|M4 Coupe 2d||42||£1,830||£1,062||£930||£751||Get Quote|
|M4 Coupe 2d DCT||42||£1,830||£1,062||£930||£751||Get Quote|
|M4 Convertible 2d||44||£1,890||£1,096||£960||£775||Get Quote|
|M4 Convertible 2d DCT||44||£1,890||£1,096||£960||£775||Get Quote|
BMW M4 insurance cost by location
There are several other factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premium, one of the biggest being your location.
To illustrate this fact, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a BMW M4 Coupe 2d.
- Expensive: £1,243 (London SE1)
- Average: £1,062 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £798 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my BMW M4 insurance rate?
Along with insurance group, here are some more key factors that have the biggest impact on your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the larger the engine, the more you’ll pay for your car insurance. For example, it may cost £1,243 for insurance for a BMW M4 Coupe 2d, while you may pay £1,258 for a BMW M4 Convertible 2d DCT. That’s a £15 difference per year depending on the engine size.
- Driver location. Insurance companies use your home address to determine the likelihood of your car being stolen or involved in an accident. This affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £1,258 for insurance for a BMW M4 Convertible 2d DCT, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £1,096. That’s a £162 difference based solely on the home address of the motorist.
- Driver age. The youngest motorists will pay the most for car insurance, because they are the most likely to get in an accident and make a claim. As an example, the average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £2,162 for the BMW M4 Coupe 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £1,132. In this example, the younger driver would have to pay almost double to insure the same vehicle.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s safety rating
- Your car’s security features
- Your car’s anti-theft precautions
- Your annual mileage
- Your driving history
- The length of your no-claim discount
How can I save on my BMW M4 premium?
Car insurance shouldn’t break the bank. However, with this vehicle, it may take some effort to find a deal that’s within your budget. With that in mind, here are some ideas to lower the cost of your premium.
- Limit your annual mileage (where possible). If you can occasionally walk or take public transport, rather than using your car, you can cut your annual mileage and save on your premium.
- Pay annually rather than monthly. When you pay annually, you eliminate the possibility of being charged interest on monthly repayments.
- Install extra safety precautions. By adding additional safety measures, you reduce the odds of making a claim on your policy. That’s why a lot of insurers are happy to lower your premium when you do so.
- Shop around for the best deal each year. Don’t blindly accept your renewal quote. In most cases, you’ll find a cheaper deal from a competitor by searching price comparison websites.
BMW M4 facts and trivia
- This car used to be named the BMW M3
- This car was first made available in 2014, and is still available to buy new today.
The BMW M4 is a powerful and exciting vehicle. It’s very much a dream car for a lot of people. It costs a lot to insure, but the tips in this guide will help you to decrease your insurance premiums.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Vauxhall Vivaro insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Vauxhall Vivaro falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Hilux insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Hilux falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Citroen Saxo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Citroen Saxo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Suzuki SX4 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Suzuki SX4 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Forfour insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Forfour falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Navara insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Navara falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota iQ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota iQ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Roadster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Roadster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jaguar XE insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jaguar XE falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Honda Accord insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda Accord falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert