Till Financial debit card review
A free, collaborative account for families, but there are limitations.
finder.com’s rating: 4.6 / 5.0
★★★★★Till Financial is a free, family-focused physical and virtual debit card that’s best for kids aged 8 to 18. It stands out from other children’s debit cards due to its sharp focus on teaching youth to become responsible spenders. But there are several limitations associated with this account, and the app only works on iPhones.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
A Till Financial account is best for families that exclusively use iPhones and have a funding account that’s compatible with Till Financial’s service, since some smaller financial institutions may not be compatible.Till Financial doesn’t have a monthly fee and compared to other debit cards for kids, it has few fees. Till Financial stands out for its savings goals and timelines. Kids are encouraged to set their own goals and family can support them by contributing to them or congratulating them with a cash reward for meeting them. In the future, Till Financial plans on adding rewards from brands to continue encouraging kids to save.
The other standout is that Till Financial offers both virtual and physical debit cards. Other debit cards for children like Mazoola don’t give you the option of getting a physical card for your kid.
How do I open a Till Financial account?
Opening a Till Financial account only takes a few minutes.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Navigate to tillfinancial.io, and click or tap Get Till in the upper-right corner.
- Enter your phone number, and select Get started.
- Download the app from the link sent to your iPhone, and create an account.
- Invite your family members to join your account.
- Link an external bank to fund the account.
- Create chores, savings goals and contribution contracts for your kids.
- Install the app on your kid’s iPhone or iPod Touch, and add the card to their digital wallet.
You must meet these eligibility requirements to open a Till Financial account for your child or children.
- US citizen and resident
- Parent or guardian at least 18 years old
- Children must be between the ages of eight and 18
- iPhone or iPod Touch
- Your and your child’s full names
- Physical address
- Dates of birth
- Email address
- Routing and account numbers of the funding bank you want to link
What are the benefits of Till Financial‘s debit card for kids?
Like most debit cards for kids, Till Financial allows you to assign chores, pay your child once the job is complete and schedule automatic allowance payments on a weekly basis. Other benefits include:
- No monthly fee. There are no initial or ongoing fees associated with Till, even if you open multiple subaccounts for different children. The only fees Till Financial charges are a 3% fee for international transactions, a $5 fee for overseas ATM withdrawals and a $5 fee to replace a physical debit card.
- Virtual and physical cards. Till Financial gives you the option to use the physical or virtual card. Other virtual debit cards for kids like Jassby and Mazoola don’t allow you to get a physical card.
- Integrated savings. Till lets your kid create savings goals for short- and long-term purchases.
- Quick Gives. Transfer any amount to the card anytime with the Quick Gives feature.
- Contributions. Set up automated contributions that can recur weekly, match your child’s savings efforts or set up parent-paid interest.
- Parental controls. Your child can use Till Financial‘s transfer feature to move money into and out of savings goals, but you have to approve transfers before any money actually moves.
- Invite extended family. Relatives and friends can contribute to your kid’s account but can’t withdraw funds.
- Share admin access. Share full administrative access with another parent, guardian or adult relative.
What should I look out for?
There are also some drawbacks associated with this account for you to keep in mind.
- iOS only. Currently, Till Financial‘s app only works on the iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Limited support. Till Financial doesn’t provide support over the phone or via live chat. You’re limited to emailing email@example.com or contacting them via social media.
- Not compatible with all banks. Link your child’s Till card to many of the most popular banks in the US, but Till Financial might not support some smaller banks and credit unions.
- Only one funding source. You can only link a single funding source to your kid’s account at a time, but you can change it whenever you need to.
Till Financial‘s ATM network and feesTill Financial doesn’t charge any fees to withdraw money from ATMs, but ATM owners will generally charge fees. Avoid fees at specific ATMs you find in the app, but Till Financial‘s website isn’t clear which ATM network it partners with. We’ve reached out to the company for details and will update this review when we know more.
Compare Till Financial with other kids debit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do Till Financial‘s fees compare to the competition?
Till has some of the lowest fees we’ve seen compared to other debit cards for kids. Here’s how its fees compare to other popular cards.
|Fee and Limit||Amount||How it compares to other kids’ cards|
|Monthly fee||$0||Lower than most kids’ cards.|
|ATM withdrawal fee||$0||Lower than most kids’ cards.|
|Card replacement fee||$5||On par with other kids’ cards.|
|Deposited item returned fee||$0||Lower than other kids’ cards.|
|Inactive/dormant account fee||$0||Lower than other kids’ cards.|
|International ATM withdrawal fee||$0||On par with other kids’ cards.|
|International debit transaction fee||3%||On par with other kids’ cards.|
|Paper statement fee||$0||Lower than other kids’ cards.|
|Daily ATM withdrawal limit||$250||Lower than other kids’ cards.|
|Daily purchase limit||$2,500||On par with other kids’ cards.|
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are relatively few ways to deposit and withdraw funds with a Till Financial account.
- Incoming ACH transfers. Fund the Till Financial card with a linked bank account using your routing and account numbers.
- Direct deposit. If your kid has a job, their employer can send paychecks directly to their Till Financial account.
- Mobile deposit. Use your iPhone’s camera to deposit paper checks directly into your account.
- Outgoing ACH transfers. Transfer funds from your Till Financial account back to a linked checking account.
- ATM withdrawals. Kids can use their Till debit card to withdraw funds from any ATM that accepts Visa cards, but they’ll likely pay any fee the ATM owner charges.
How safe is Till Financial?Till Financial accounts are FDIC insured for up to $250,000 through Till Financial‘s banking partner, Coastal Community Bank. Till Financial also uses bank-level security, encryption and authentication practices to keep your data and personal information safe.
How long will it take to get my card?
It takes seven to 10 business days to receive your card after opening an account. Your child will be able to use their virtual debit card right away, but they’ll need to be at least 13 years old to use it with Apple Pay.
I got the card. Now what?
Once your child receives their Till Financial card, activate it in the app or by calling the toll-free number on the card. And if your kid is at least 13 years old, you can add their card to their Apple Pay wallet.
Till Financial reviews and complaintsTill Financial launched in April 2021, and as of July 2021, it doesn’t have any reviews on Trustpilot or the Better Business Bureau’s website. However, the app has 57 ratings on the Apple App Store, with an average rating of 3.9 out of 5 stars.
Many of the positive reviews praise Till Financial‘s features, while several negative reviews mention Till Financial‘s inability to link to specific banks. Some reviewers have complained that Till Financial requires a Social Security number to open the account, but this is standard practice with all kids’ debit cards.
How to contact Till Financial customer service?Till Financial doesn’t provide support over the phone or via live chat, but there are two ways to get help with your account.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Till Financial through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.