Revolut app and debit card review
We take a closer look at this mobile and online bank that's breaking down borders.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
★★★★★Revolut is a digital bank that launched in Europe in 2015 and expanded into the US. Revolut offers hassle-free global spending, international money transfers, and access to cryptocurrency exchanges. And you can earn up to 0.28% APY on your savings. But there are foreign currency fees to watch out for and you might pay a monthly fee depending on which plan you choose.
From $0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||0.28% with Savings Vault for Premium or Metal users, 0.15% for Standard users|
|Fee||$0 per month|
|To waive the fee||Open a Standard plan with $0 monthly fee. Paid plans:|
• $9.99 monthly fee for Premium plan
• $16.99 monthly fee for Metal plan
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|ATMs||55,000+ surcharge-free ATMs nationwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0 (up to $300 a month in no fee ATM withdrawals with Standard plan, $600 a month with Premium plan and $1,200 with Metal plan. 2% fee on all withdrawals after this.)|
|Foreign transaction fee||0.5%|
Alexa Serrano is a banking and investments editor at Finder, helping to guide readers to the best savings, checking and investments accounts for their financial goals. A certified anti-money laundering specialist, Alexa's expertise in financial crime, real estate, gaming and counseling has been highlighted on MSN and Reviews.com. She earned a BA in English from Wesleyan College and enjoys reading memoirs in her spare time.
Expert reviewRevolut is best for travelers, spenders and savers. It’s mostly recognized for offering account holders the option to spend and transfer money with the interbank exchange rate and no added fees other banks pile on top.
But there are a few fees you’ll want to watch out for if you’re not under its premium or metal plan. And if you make more than $300 or $600 ATM withdrawals a month, expect to pay a fee.
How do I open a Revolut account?
Follow the steps below to open an account:
- Click Apply now.
- From the Revolut website, click Get the App.
- Open the App and enter your phone number.
- Create a password.
- Enter the six-digit code you receive.
- Enter your first and last name, date of birth, home address and email.
- Provide your SSN or select “I am not a US citizen.”
To open an account, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- Valid Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification number
- Valid US address
Make sure you have the following information handy when you open an account:
- Name and date of birth
- Mailing and email address
- Government-issued ID
- Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification number
How does Revolut work?
The Revolut app and online platform helps customers manage their money. You’ll have the ability to spend and transfer money, setup monthly budgets, freeze your card, get paid up to two days early and more. When you sign up, you’ll have the option of opening up a free, premium or metal account.
How much does Revolut cost?
There are three Revolut plans to choose from — each with different features and cost:
How much interest can I earn with Revolut?
You could earn up to 0.28% APY with your Revolut account, but it depends on which plan you’re under. You’ll earn 0.15% APY on your savings under the free Standard plan and 0.28% APY under the Premium or Metal plan. In addition to this, Revolut offers a 4.50% bonus rate if you’re set up with direct deposits and spend a certain amount of money with your Revolut card each month.
You’ll earn 4.50% if you spend more than or equal to the amount of money in your Savings Vault. Your bonus is calculated on the entire balance in your savings account. For instance, if you have $5,000 in your vault and spend $5,000 or more, you’ll earn 4.50% on your entire $5,000 savings balance.
But if you spend less than the amount of money you have in your Savings Vault, you’ll earn the savings bonus on the total amount spent in the previous month — not on your entire savings balance. For instance, if you have $5,000 in your vault but spend $1,000 that month, you’ll only earn 4.50% on $1,000.
Is Revolut safe?Revolut has partnered with Metropolitan Commercial Bank to hold client funds, giving customers standard FDIC insurance on balances up to $250,000.
If your card is lost or stolen, you have the option to freeze or unfreeze your card in the app or online platform. Add further control by turning online, ATM and contactless payments on or off.Revolut also has location-based security — if your card is used in a different location than your phone, you’ll receive a notification and you can block the purchase.
What are the benefits of a Revolut account?Revolut includes FDIC-insured funds up to 250,000 and an app that lets you manage your accounts. Other benefits include:
- Customer service available 24/7. Call or chat with customer service weekly through Revolut‘s app.
- Lower exchange rate. Unlike most banks that apply a margin on top of the interbank exchange rate, this one doesn’t.
- No credit check. Unlike other banks, this one won’t check your credit.
- Pay friends. You can pay friends through the app or use the split bill feature to divide a group spend.
- ATM withdrawals. ATM withdrawals are free as long as you don’t surpass your withdrawal limit. Otherwise you’ll pay a 2% fee.
- Earns interest. You can earn 0.28% APY with the Premium or Metal plan or 0.15% with the free plan. But you’ll need to opt into the Savings vault.
What should I look out for?
Although Revolut comes with a lot of benefits and features, it’s not without its disadvantages:
- Foreign currency transaction markups and fees. On weekends when the markets are closed, you’ll get an unspecified markup on your foreign currency transactions. But Thai Baht will always get a 1% markup even during open markets. Also, if you surpass the $1,000 a month currency transfer limit with the standard plan, you’ll pay a 0.5% fee.
- Online only. There are no branches, which can put off those who prefer face-to-face customer service.
- Additional fees. You’ll pay a a shipping fee to receive your card, unless you’re under the Premium or Metal plan. There are also fees to replace your card and to load your card if you use a debit card issued outside of the US.
- Proof of funds. As part of its anti-money laundering procedures, Revolut may ask to check your source of funds to determine where your money came from. Documentation may include salary pay stubs, bank statements and more. Revolut may deactivate your account if they can’t verify your source of funds.
- Unclear deposit limits. Although Revolut claims that there are no specific deposit limits, new cards will have an unspecified temporary deposit limit for 24 hours. Some users may have a lower daily deposit limit that increases over time.
If a fully digital bank is not what you’re looking for, you’ll want to compare banks that offer mobile banking options.
Revolut‘s ATM network and feesRevolut gives you access to over 55,000 free AllPoint ATMs. Your withdrawals are limited to $300 a month if you’re under the standard plan or $600 a month under the premium plan. If you surpass this limit you’ll pay a 2% fee.
Compare with other digital banks
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
Revolut offers three ways to access your funds:
- Debit card. Load your account with your debit card. If it’s a card issued outside the US, you’ll pay a 3% fee.
- ATM. Access over 55,000 AllPoint ATMs for free as long as it’s within your monthly limit.
- Transfers. You can transfer to other Revolut account holders and to bank accounts outside of Revolut.
How does Revolut compare to other transfer services?
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.