How do PNC Bank and Bank of America compare?
- Choose this lender for low down payment options
- Watch out for poor customer service
- A good option for commercial real estate loans
- Consider Bank of America if you value its nationwide footprint and like the idea of having your mortgage and banking under one roof.
- Choose something else if reputation and customer experience is your top priority.
Neither of these seems the right fit?
- Multiple loan choices
- Low down-payment options
- Online application tracking
- Low interest rates
- Alternative credit data
- Discounts for existing clients
- Limited branch locations
- Customer complaints
- High volume of consumer complaints
- Limited coverage in the Midwest
- History of irresponsible mortgage lending
- Less personalized approach
PNC isn't credited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but receives an A- rating from it as of September 2019. On average, customers give PNC a low 1 out of 5 stars on the BBB site.
Of the over 1,500 complaints on the BBB website, only two are unanswered and one is unresolved. Many customers report having issues with customer service, unexpected fees and poorly handled fraud cases.
Bank of America has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1949, boasting an A+ rating for its operations after closing over 6,000 customer complaints over the last three years.
However, it falls short in the customer service department, earning slightly over a one-star rating from 475 customer reviews. It’s a similar story on Trustpilot, where the bank has a 1.3 rating based on 844 reviews as of August 2021. While customers praised the savvy online experience and diversity of mortgage products, many were frustrated with the service they received.
It’s worth noting that these consumer reviews are for Bank of America as a whole — and not for its mortgages specifically.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.