Earn 5% cashback and up to 2.15% APY with this digital checking account.
finder.com’s rating: 4.8 / 5.0
★★★★★OnJuno is a digital checking account that earns up to 2.15% APY — more interest than most high-yield savings accounts. Plus, you can earn 5% cashback from five merchants of your choice, up to $500 a year for Basic plan members or $3,000 a year for Metal plan members.
But OnJuno doesn’t support joint accounts and your APY drops to 0.25% once your balance hits $5,000 on the Basic plan or $30,000 on the Metal plan.
From $0 per month
Up to 2.15%
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||2.15% on balances of $0 to $30,000 with a $9.99 monthly fee |
0.25% on balances of $30,000.01+
|Fee||From $0 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|Intro or bonus offer||Metal checking is free for the first 6 months|
|ATMs||more than 85,000 ATMs nationwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||get one non-network ATM reimbursements on the Basic plan and three reimbursements on the Metal plan|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
We have yet to see a digital checking account that earns more rewards than OnJuno. You earn up to 2.15% APY, plus 5% back on up to $3,000 in debit card purchases depending on which membership tier you choose.
You have the freedom to choose which five brands earn you cashback. And if you’re not happy with your choices, you can switch them up once a month, no sweat. Unlike credit cards that have complicated points-systems, this cashback is deposited directly into your account each month.OnJuno is best for anyone who’s tech-savvy and feels comfortable managing a digital bank account online. There are a two membership tiers: a free Basic tier and a paid Metal tier. But you can actually get the Metal tier for free when you set up direct deposits.
How much does OnJuno cost?OnJuno has one free tier and two paid tiers. Here’s how the pricing and benefits differ:
|Name||Monthly price||Benefits||Minimum deposit to open|
|Metal||$9.99 — Free for first 6 months|
$0 with direct deposit
How much could I earn with OnJuno?
Here are two examples to show how much you could earn with OnJuno.
Example 1: You keep a $3,500 account balance and spend $1,000 a year with your five favorite brands. Notice how you earn the most money with the free plan after you deduct fees.
|APY||$3,500 x 2.15% = $75.25||$3,500 x 2.15% = $75.25|
|Cash back||$1,000 x 5% = $50||$500 x 5% = $25|
|Total earned after annual fees||$5.37||$100.25|
Example 2: You keep a $10,000 account balance and spend $3,000 a year with your five favorite brands. In this scenario, you’ll earn the most money with the Metal plan — even after fees.
|APY||$10,000 x 2.15% = $215||$10,000 x 2.15% = $120|
|Cash back||$3,000 x 5% = $150||$500 x 3% = $25|
|Total earned after annual fees||$245.12||$145|
If you’re looking for an account that earns a high rate without the monthly costs, check out these top high interest checking accounts.
How do I open an OnJuno account?
Open an OnJuno using these steps:
- Click Apply now.
- From the official OnJuno account website, click Open Account.
- Enter your full name, email and password and click Open Account.
- Enter your personal information, phone number and home address and click Next.
- Enter your Social Security Number and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity and submit your application.
Open an OnJuno account when you meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US resident
- Valid Social Security number
Have this information ready when it’s time to open your account:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Social Security number
What are the benefits of OnJuno?
This FDIC-insured bank account has mobile banking, a free debit card and these unique perks:
- Metal plan free with direct deposit. Even though the Metal plan costs $9.99 a month, you can get it for free when you set up direct deposit.
- Banking with a purpose. With a mission to reduce wealth inequality, OnJuno donates 2.15% of its company profits to charities in India.
- Minimal fees. OnJuno ditches common fees charged by other banks. You pay $5 for outgoing wire transfers and $0 for foreign transactions, nonsufficient funds, account closures and ATM withdrawals.
- Choose your own rewards. You have the freedom and flexibility to choose which five brands you earn up to 5% cashback with.
- 24/7 customer support. Reach a customer support representative by live chat, phone or email anytime.
- Earns interest. Earn anywhere from 0.25% to 2.15% APY depending on your membership tier and account balance.
What should I look out for?OnJuno is quite unique, but there are still several drawbacks to keep in mind:
- APY and cashback limits. You’ll only earn 2.15% interest on balances up to $30,000 and 5% cash back on up to $3,000 in purchases a year depending on which tier you choose.
- No joint accounts. You can’t open a joint account with a spouse or dependent, but OnJuno is looking to add this feature in the future.
- No other accounts. The only banking product you’ll find at OnJuno is this checking account. If you were hoping to keep all your accounts under one roof, you’ll want to look elsewhere.
OnJuno‘s ATM network and feesOnJuno is part of the Allpoint and MoneyPass ATM networks, giving you free access to more than 85,000 ATMs nationwide. Plus, get one non-network ATM reimbursement on the Basic plan and three reimbursements on the Metal plan.
Compare OnJuno with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are several ways to access your funds with OnJuno:
- Direct deposit
- Remote check deposit through mobile app
- Wire transfer
- ACH transfer
- Transfer from a linked bank account
- Cashback at a retailer
- Wire transfer
- ACH transfer
- Transfer to a linked bank account
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.