Lincoln Heritage life insurance review October 2020
Wide coverage and payouts within a day on funeral insurance
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if… you need to cover burial expenses and want help with funeral planning.
- Pick something else if.. you’re looking for term or standard whole life insurance.
1 to 85
$5,000 to $20,000
Medical Exam Required
|Free quote||By phone|
|Monthly cost||Not listed|
|Term lengths||Permanent life insurance|
|Riders||Accidental death benefit rider|
|Medical exam required||Not required|
|Available states||All states, except New York|
|Issue age||30 days to 85 years old|
- No medical exam
- Claims paid in 24 hours
- Free funeral and will planning
- Covers nearly any age
- Funeral insurance only
- No online quotes
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Lincoln Heritage is a specialty life insurance company that covers your needs for end-of-life expenses. The company prides itself on its quick claim payouts, and helps families plan funerals by comparing costs for and connecting you with funeral homes.
Dozens of customers sing its praises as a family-run business for customer service that feels local and personal.
On the other hand, multiple complaints from customers deal with aggressive sales tactics and billing problems. And its lack of online services and limited insurance products can turn some customers away.
But its A+ BBB rating and solid customer service rating makes this a solid choice for funeral insurance — especially for those with health conditions with its no-medical exam policies. If Lincoln Heritage doesn’t have the insurance policy you need, consider other life insurance companies.
What types of life insurance coverage does Lincoln Heritage offer?
Lincoln Heritage offers up to $20,000 in final expense insurance coverage designed to help your loved ones pay for your funeral and other end-of-life expenses. Sometimes called burial insurance, this whole life product lets you borrow against your policy after a set time period.
What benefits or riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
Lincoln Heritage doesn’t list which add-ons are available on its website, but we know it offers an accidental death benefit rider. This benefit adds up to $100,000 in coverage if your death is caused by an accident, such as a car accident.
How much does Lincoln Heritage cost?
Lincoln’s final expense policy, called Funeral Advantage, could cost anywhere from $15 to $130 monthly, which is typical for this type of policy. Your actual cost could vary based on a few factors:
- Your age
- Overall health
- Job and hobbies
- Coverage limit
Pros and cons of Lincoln Heritage
- No medical exam. You can forgo the medical exam and answer a few questions on paper, a benefit if you don’t qualify for other policies because of health problems.
- Claims paid in 24 hours. Lincoln Heritage prides itself on settling a claim within a day after it’s approved.
- Free funeral and will planning. The company keeps your final wishes for your funeral on file. After your death, it compares up to three funeral homes for your loved ones using your preferred funeral arrangements.
- Covers nearly any age. You can buy a policy for children at just a few months old as well as older adults until age 85. This range is wider than what most life insurers offer.
- Funeral insurance only. You won’t find the most common life insurance products like a traditional term or whole life insurance policy offered.
- No online quotes. You have to fill out an online form and wait for a representative to contact you within one to three business days.
Compare alternatives to Lincoln Heritage
To cover more than just final expenses, consider term life insurance policies that cover a wider range of debts once you die.
Lincoln Heritage life insurance reviews and complaints
This life insurance company holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as of October 2020. Customers also give Lincoln Heritage an average 4 out of 5 stars from over 80 BBB reviews.
However, Lincoln Heritage has 64 complaints on file with the BBB. About a dozen of those were answered within the 12 months before May 2020. Most complaints are about the company’s aggressive sales tactics, while others say the company withdraws more money for premiums than they agreed to.
How do I sign up for a policy from Lincoln Heritage?
To receive a funeral insurance policy from Lincoln Heritage, follow these steps to start your application online or call:
- Click the Free quote tab on the website or call 800-438-7180.
- Fill in your name, address, phone number, email and age.
- Choose how you found out about Lincoln Heritage.
- Click Get my quote.
- Wait for an insurance rep to contact you by phone or email.
- Give additional details about the amount of coverage you want.
- If you want to continue, sign any necessary paperwork and finalize your payment.
Frequently asked questions about Lincoln Heritage life insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.