Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account review
No minimum balance or maintenance fees but only for Midwest residents.
finder.com’s rating: 3.3 / 5.0
This no-frills checking account touts a no-strings-attached promise, with no maintenance fees or balance requirements. But watch out for high fees for using ATMs out of its network.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$0 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|Intro or bonus offer||Earn a $150 bonus when you open a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account and deposit $1,000 within 60 days if you live in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia. Conditions apply.|
|ATMs||Free at more than 1,700 ATMs across the Midwest|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
Shannon Terrell is a senior writer for Finder who has written over 400 personal finance guides. With a focus on investments and personal finance, she breaks down jargon-laden topics to help others make informed financial decisions. She studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto.
The Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account is best for those who already have a Huntington Relationship Savings or Money Market account and are looking for a checking account free from maintenance fees and minimum balances. But what makes it really stand out are its unique perks, including a 24-hour overdraft grace period, $50 overdraft safety zone and access to a line of credit.
But this account doesn’t earn interest. And if you want a bank with nationwide ATM access, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
How do I open a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account?
Open a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account online using these steps:
- Click Apply now.
- Click Open an Account.
- Under Asterisk-Free Checking, hit Apply Now.
- Review Huntington’s eligibility questions. Click Get Started.
- Enter your personal information including your full name and ID information. Click Continue.
- Review your submitted information and make any necessary changes.
- Review Huntington’s account disclosures, plus terms and conditions.
- Fund your new account using an externally linked account.
Once you’ve submitted your application, your Huntington Debit Mastercard will arrive in seven to 10 business days.
To maintain eligibility for this account, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
- Valid bank account
- Resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia
Gather the following before you apply:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Employment information
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state ID
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
7 benefits of a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account
In addition to the perks of on-the-go mobile banking, you’ll also enjoy:
- No maintenance fees. It won’t cost you anything to open and maintain this account.
- No minimum deposit. Some checking accounts require a deposit of $50 or more.
- 24-hour overdraft grace period. If you overdraw your account, you’ll have a 24-hour penalty-free grace period to bring your account out of the red. Also, you won’t incur a fee if you overdraw your account by $50 or less.
- Standby Cash. Qualify for a $100 to $1,000 line of credit to pay back over three months after you receive at least $750 in consecutive monthly deposits for three months. It’s free when you set up automatic payments. Otherwise, you’ll pay a 1% monthly interest charge.
- Get paid up to two days early. Receive your qualifying recurring direct deposit up to two days.
- Huntington relationship rates. Keep at least $300 or more in this account and you’ll pay no fees on a Huntington Premier Savings account.
- Sign up bonus. Qualify for a $150 cash bonus when you open a new Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account by October 7, 2021, and fund the account with at least $1,000 within 60 days of account opening.
3 things to look out for
Be on the lookout for the following drawbacks if you plan on opening the Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account:
- Limited ATM access. Although Huntington is available in 11 states starting November 2021, it’s ATMs aren’t readily available throughout each state. If there’s no network ATM near you, be prepared for a $3 surcharge each time you use a third-party ATM provider.
- Limited availability. Huntington accounts are only available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. But starting November 2021, residents of Colorado, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin can also sign up.
- Overdraft fee. Like most checking accounts, you’ll pay an overdraft fee if a transaction puts your account in the red. Huntington charges $37.50 per overdraft, but you can avoid this fee by setting up automatic transfers from a linked savings or money market account or if the overdraft amount is $50 or less.
If you prefer a bank with locations near you, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a checking account.
Huntington’s ATM network and fees.
The Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account comes with a Huntington Debit Mastercard. With it, you can access the Huntington ATM network, which includes more than 1,700 ATMs spread across the states it services.
You won’t need to worry about ATM fees when you use a Huntington ATM. But you’re charged a $3 fee for any transaction at a non-Huntington ATM, in addition to any fee charged by the network or ATM owner.
Huntington’s reviews and complaints
Huntington is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds an A+ rating. It has closed 558 complaints in the last three years and holds a 1.25 out of 5-star rating based on 152 customer reviews as of July 2021. And it only has 11 Trustpilot ratings, yielding a 2.8 out of 5 stars Trustscore.
Customers appreciate its 24-hour grace period on overdrafts and its minimal fees. But many reviews complain about poor customer service, which varies by branch, withholding funds and frozen accounts.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
You can transfer funds to and from your Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account in several ways.
- Online transfer from an externally linked account
- Mobile check deposit using the Huntington mobile app, available for Android and iOS
- Envelope-free deposit-accepting Huntington ATMs
- Wire transfers
- Debit card
- Mobile wallets, including Samsung Pay, Google Pay and Apple Pay
- ATM withdrawals
- Online transfers to an external account
- Wire transfers
- Paper checks
How to contact Huntington customer service?
Speak to a representative by:
- Calling 800-480-2265 every day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET
- Live chatting with a customer rep by clicking the Ask Us button on its website
- Tweeting @askhuntington
- Messaging @huntingtonbank through Facebook
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.