Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account review
No minimum balance or maintenance fees but only for Midwest residents.
finder.com’s rating: 3.3 / 5.0
This no-frills checking account touts a no-strings-attached promise, with no maintenance fees or balance requirements. But watch out for high fees for using ATMs out of its network.
Minimum deposit to open
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|Intro or bonus offer||Earn a $150 bonus when you open a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account and deposit $1,000 within 60 days if you live in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania or West Virginia. Conditions apply.|
|ATMs||Free at more than 1,800 ATMs across the Midwest|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
Shannon Terrell is a writer for Finder who studied communications and English literature at the University of Toronto. On any given day, you can find her researching everything from equine financing and business loans to student debt refinancing and how to start a trust. She loves hot coffee, the smell of fresh books and discovering new ways to save her pennies.
The Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account is best for those looking for a checking account free from maintenance fees and minimum balances. In addition to no fees, the account includes a 24-hour overdraft grace period.
But the bank is only available in seven states in the Midwest.
What are the benefits of the Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account?
In addition to the perks of on-the-go mobile banking, you’ll also enjoy:
- No maintenance fees. It won’t cost you anything to open and maintain this account.
- No minimum deposit. Some checking accounts require a deposit of $50 or more.
- 24-hour overdraft grace period. If you overdraw your account, you’ll have a 24-hour penalty-free grace period to bring your account out of the red.
- Huntington relationship rates. Keep at least $300 or more in this account and you’ll pay no fees on a Huntington Premier Savings account.
What should I look out for?
Be on the lookout for the following drawbacks if you plan on opening the Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account:
- $3 ATM fee. While there are no fees to maintain this account, be prepared for a $3 surcharge each time you use a third-party ATM provider.
- Limited availability. Huntington accounts are only available to residents of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
If you prefer a bank with locations near you, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a checking account.
Huntington’s ATM network and fees.
The Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account comes with a Huntington Debit Mastercard. With it, you can access the Huntington ATM network, which includes more than 1,800 ATMs spread across the states it services.
You won’t need to worry about ATM fees when you use a Huntington ATM. But you’re charged a $3 fee for any transaction at a non-Huntington ATM, in addition to any fee charged by the network or ATM owner.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I open a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account?
Open a Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account online using these steps:
- Go to Huntington’s website, click Banking, then Asterisk-Free Checking.
- Click Apply.
- Read over the application requirements and click Continue.
- Enter your full name and email address. Then, review Huntington’s eligibility questions. Click Continue.
- Enter your ID information, including your ID number, state of issue and date of issue. Next, enter your residential address, date of birth and Social Security number. Click Continue.
- Review your submitted information and make any necessary changes.
- Review Huntington’s account disclosures, plus terms and conditions.
- Fund your new account using an externally linked account.
Once you’ve submitted your application, your Huntington Debit Mastercard will arrive in seven to 10 business days.
To maintain eligibility for this account, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- US citizen
- At least 18 years old
- Social Security number
- Valid driver’s license or state ID
- Valid bank account
- Resident of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or West Virginia
Gather the following before you apply:
- Name, date of birth and residential address
- Contact information
- Employment information
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license or state ID
- External bank account number and routing number of funding account
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Transfer funds from your Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account in one of five ways:
- Online deposit. Make an online transfer to or from an externally linked account.
- Mobile check deposit. Deposit a check using the Huntington mobile app, available for Android and iOS.
- ATM. Make a withdrawal or deposit at over 1,800 Huntington ATMs.
- Wire transfer. Expect to pay $15 for incoming wire transfers, and $25 for outgoing transfers.
- In person. Visit a Huntington branch to make a deposit or withdrawal in person.
What other checking options does Huntington offer?
Huntington has a number of personal and business checking accounts to choose from:
- Huntington 5 Checking account. An interest-bearing checking account, albeit low with 0.02% APY, ATM rebates and Huntington relationship rates on qualifying Huntington money market and savings accounts.
- Huntington 25 Checking account. Earn 0.25% APY and waive the $25 maintenance fee by maintaining over $25,000 across eligible Huntington accounts.
- Business Checking 100. Designed for start-ups, this business checking account offers no monthly fees and 100 free transactions monthly.
- Business Analyzed Checking account. Enjoy overdraft protection, treasury management services and a free Huntington Debit Mastercard Businesscard.
- Unlimited Business Checking account. This business account has unlimited transactions and potential bonus services that include cash flow forecast and free wire transfers.
- Unlimited Plus Business Checking account. This interest-bearing account comes with unlimited transactions and a selection of features that include fraud monitoring, payroll services and free incoming wire transfers.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.