Quontic Bank CD review
Get up to APY with a $500 minimum deposit.
If you’re looking to invest your money for a year or more, Quontic Bank CDs offer highly competitive rates and a lower-than-average minimum deposit. But if you access your money before your CD matures, you’ll pay a hefty penalty.
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
There’s a lot to love about Quontic Bank’s CDs, especially if you’re looking to invest for a year or two and want one of the highest rates available. The low $500 minimum deposit also makes it an attractive option and could allow you to spread smaller investments over multiple term CDs.
Benefits of a Quontic Bank CD
Opening a CD with Quontic comes with the standard benefits like no monthly fees and a locked-in interest rate. It also comes with the following perks:
- High interest rates. You’ll earn 0.4% on one-year CDs and on two-year CDs. These are some of the highest interest rates on CDs, even among online banks.
- Low minimum deposit. Open a CD account with as little as $500.
- Interest compounds daily. Quontic compounds the interest on your CD daily and pays the interest into your account monthly to help you meet your savings goals.
What to watch out for
Make sure you understand the drawbacks before applying for a Quontic CD:
- Few term options. Quontic only offers one-year and two-year CDs, which may not fit your needs.
- Heavy penalties. You pay a full year’s interest for withdrawing money before your 12-month CD matures — and two full years on any 24-month CD.
If these CD terms don’t suit your financial goals, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when considering a CD.
Compare with other CDs
How do I open a CD?
To open a CD account, use the email form at the bottom of the Certificate of Deposit page on their website. One of Quontic’s account representatives will contact you with instructions.
To apply for an account, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Social Security or tax ID number
- $500 deposit
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Phone number
- Home address
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
Use one of the following methods to fund your account:
- Mail in a check
- Transfer from your Quontic account
- EFT bank transfer
- ACH transfer
How do I cash in a CD?
When your CD matures, you have a 10-day grace period to decide what you want to do with the funds without penalty. You have the following options:
- Do nothing. If you ignore the maturity date and grace period, your funds are rolled over into a new CD with the same term as your previous CD, but with an updated interest rate.
- Make a partial withdrawal. During the grace period, you can withdraw some of the money from your account without penalty. As long as you leave at least $500 in the account, the remaining balance rollovers into a new CD with the same term and updated interest rate.
- Close your account. To close your account, transfer the funds to your Quontic or external account, or request a check for the account balance.
What other savings products does Quontic Bank offer?
Quontic offers the following personal savings accounts:
- Drawbridge savings. Earn 0.50% APY while helping small business owners who are struggling due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Quontic matches your earned monthly interest and offers grants to small business owners.
- High yield savings. With a $100 deposit, you can earn 0.50% APY with no monthly service fees.
- Money Market account. Open this account with as little as $100, but the higher your account balance, the higher your interest rate. Earn 1.01% APY on balances under $5,000, 1.26% on balances from $5,000 to under $150,000 and 1.30% APY on balances of $150,000 or more.