How do HSBC and Chase Bank compare?
- Choose this lender for a wide variety of loan types
- Watch out for negative customer reviews
- A good option for borrowers with unique criteria
- Choose this lender for great in-person help at branches in 22 states
- Watch out for frustrating customer service online and over the phone
- A good option for borrowers who want a mortgage from a well-known bank.
Neither of these seems the right fit?
- Wide range of loans & terms
- Perks for HSBC customers available
- Special mortgage programs available
- Online account monitoring via dashboard
- Flexible application process
- Online tracking
- Other banking products
- Member discounts
- Negative reviews
- Can't fully apply online
- Multiple fees
- Requires fair to excellent credit
- Limited branches for in-person service
In general, online reviews are worrisome. HSBC customers complain of miscommunications from the provider that resulted in payment mixups and refinancing issues. Some borrowers report HSBC claiming payments weren’t made on customer home loans for years.
HSBC Bank overall garners a low 2 out of 10 on Trustpilot based on 46 reviews. It doesn’t do much better with the Better Business Bureau, which gives it a D rating.
If you pursue a home loan with this provider, make sure to keep careful documentation of your payments, confirming they’re processed in a reasonable time, over the course of your loan.
As of October 2020, Chase Bank has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, yet reviewers on the site have only rated it 1.18 out of 5 stars. The bank’s score is only slightly better on Trustpilot, where it’s currently rated 1.3 out of 5. However, it’s important to note that these reviews are for Chase Bank as a whole and not necessarily its mortgage products.
Satisfied customers praise Chase’s mobile app, online access and personal service in branches. Most of the negative reviews focus on frustrating customer service, with customers having trouble getting in touch with a helpful representative, being passed around on the phone or just never getting the help they need.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.