How do HSBC and Bank of America compare?
- Choose this lender for a wide variety of loan types
- Watch out for negative customer reviews
- A good option for borrowers with unique criteria
- Choose this lender for low interest rates
- Watch out for bad customer reviews
- A good option for borrowers without much credit history
Neither of these seems the right fit?
- Wide range of loans & terms
- Perks for HSBC customers available
- Special mortgage programs available
- Online account monitoring via dashboard
- Low interest rates
- Alternative credit data
- Discounts for existing clients
- Negative reviews
- Can't fully apply online
- High volume of consumer complaints
- Limited coverage in the Midwest
- History of irresponsible mortgage lending
- Less personalized approach
In general, online reviews are worrisome. HSBC customers complain of miscommunications from the provider that resulted in payment mixups and refinancing issues. Some borrowers report HSBC claiming payments weren’t made on customer home loans for years.
HSBC Bank overall garners a low 2 out of 10 on Trustpilot based on 46 reviews. It doesn’t do much better with the Better Business Bureau, which gives it a D rating.
If you pursue a home loan with this provider, make sure to keep careful documentation of your payments, confirming they’re processed in a reasonable time, over the course of your loan.
Bank of America has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1949, boasting an A+ rating for its operations after closing almost 5,500 customer complaints over the last three years.
However, it falls short in the customer service department, earning slightly over a one-star rating from 405 customer reviews. It’s a similar story on Trustpilot, where the bank has a 1.4 rating based on 438 reviews as of December 2020. While customers praised the savvy online experience and diversity of mortgage products, many were frustrated with the service they received.
It’s worth noting that these consumer reviews are for Bank of America as a whole — and not for its mortgages specifically.
Compare mortgage lenders
Compare top brands by home loan type, state availability and credit score. Select See rates to provide the lender with basic property and financial details for personalized rates.