Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
Average insurance cost for a Volkswagen
The average insurance cost of a Volkswagen across all models is $190.64 a month, or $2,287.68 a year, depending on the model. Most Volkswagens have a high cost-to-base car price ratio, but some VWs are cheaper to insure than others. For example, with a $20,000 price tag and annual insurance rates of $2,640, the popular VW Beetle has a high cost–to–base car price ratio of 13%, while the Golf is only 5% with a lower insurance rate for its MSRP.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Find your Volkswagen model
Compare VW insurance
How to compare Volkswagen car insurance
Insurance companies look at several car-related factors when determining the cost of insurance, including the car’s safety ratings, its likelihood of being stolen, and replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility.
Volkswagen vehicles are known as reliable rides with tight handling. They typically garner strong safety ratings, which helps to lower insurance premiums.
Other factors that affect the cost of insurance include the model, mileage and trim package. Personal factors like your driving history, credit score and age also play roles.
VW car insurance rates by model
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
Pros and cons of insuring a Volkswagen
- Good safety ratings
- Low theft rates
- Avoid diesel models
Volkswagen car facts
- Germany-based Volkswagen was founded in 1937, and its mission was to create a car that was affordable and efficient.
- The iconic Beetle was introduced in 1959, catapulting VW to the number one auto import in the US. Though the last beetle was manufactured in 2019, fans of the Bug will still be collecting this classic for ages.
- Volkswagen sells cars with a wide spectrum of prices, from the budget-priced Jetta ($17,895 starting MSRP) to the high-end Touareg ($49,495 starting MSRP). VW also offers direct financing to help pay for any VW model you like.
- Volkswagen vehicles score highly on safety, which means they’re involved in fewer accidents and fewer claims. They’re also stolen relatively infrequently compared to other car brands. These factors lower insurance premiums overall.
- VW new car tech is designed to give drivers control of every aspect of the ride. Volkswagen’s modular car design allows for cars to be customized from thousands of different combinations while sharing common car parts.
- VWs feature elements like its driving profiles, which let you choose from normal, comfort or sport settings depending on your driving preference, as well as connected cars that let you connect to your car from your smartphone app.
In 2014, Volkswagen vehicles were found to emit higher levels of nitrogen oxides than was reported in official environmental standards tests. Dubbed Dieselgate by the media, the manufacturer was found to have installed software in its engines to circumvent proper emissions testing. VW later recalled millions of vehicles worldwide, on top of paying billions of dollars in penalties and civil settlements plus the immeasurable loss of brand trust.
Are there any standout VW models?
The Atlas is VW’s first vehicle with third row seating. Fold down the second and third rows and access 96.8 cubic feet of cargo space, or load up the car with up to six passengers. Choose from several trim packages and get features like adaptive cruise control, three-zone climate control and a remote power liftgate. Prices start at $30,750.
Looking for other car brands? Find other car manufacturers that are similar to VW, or compare makes that are completely different.
You’re likely to find reasonably priced car insurance for your VW, barring any personal factors like a bad driving record or poor credit. But be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Frequently asked questions about VW insurance
Read more on this topic
Audi S4 insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Audi S4.
Aston Martin DBX insurance rates Get cheap car insurance quotes and find the best policies for your Aston Martin DBX.
GoAuto car insurance review August 2020 Pocket an option for SR-22 coverage, but you might be compromising on service.
Compare the best auto and renters insurance bundles The best companies blend wide auto and renters coverage, free perks and strong value.
Compare RV rental insurance Most rental companies build in some coverage, but make sure you have enough before getting in the cockpit.
Honda Passport car insurance rates The Honda Passport’s high safety ratings and antitheft package may discount your insurance.
Ford Bronco car insurance rates The Bronco’s off-roading performance may mean an increased car insurance premium. But its safety features could be an upside.
Electra Meccanica Solo car insurance rates Insuring the new Electra Meccanica Solo presents a unique challenge.
States with the strictest driving laws If you're relaxed behind the wheel, you'll want to steer clear of these states with the strictest driving laws.
Compare the best bundling insurance companies for 2020 Your top choices for pairing the best savings, options and service when buying multiple insurance policies.
Ask an Expert