Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Volkswagen Atlas car insurance rates
Find out how much you might pay to insure this midsize SUV.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
On average, expect to pay $179 a month to insure your Volkswagen Atlas. That’s around $2,148 annually, which is $500 less than its sibling, the Touareg. However, the actual amount you’ll pay depends on factors such as your driving record, your gender and age and driving activity.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Compare car insurance for your Volkswagen Atlas
How do I compare insurance for the Atlas?
How much you drive your car and whether it’s new or used can affect your premium. Other factors that come into play are:
- Body type. The Atlas is a five-door, midsize SUV and the largest vehicle produced on the Volkswagen Group MQB platform. Because of its size, the Atlas will be more expensive to insure than a sedan.
- Fuel. The Atlas is gas-powered and gets a reported 22 to 26 mpg.
- Theft rates. Theft rates aren’t yet available for the latest Atlas models. Volkswagens in general tend to have low theft rates, which could help reduce the cost of your premium.
- Maintenance. On average, you could pay $191 annually to maintain or repair your Atlas. But this largely depends on the extent of repairs. Many customers who had their Atlas repaired claim it was difficult to find parts and they waited months to get them without an estimated date.
- Coverage. Consider adding comprehensive coverage to your insurance, which can protect your Atlas against theft, vandalism, fire, natural disasters and more.
- Warranty. If you’re buying a new Atlas, you get a transferable warranty of six years or 72,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. But unlike many manufacturers, you won’t get free roadside assistance with your new Atlas.
Does the Volkswagen Atlas qualify for discounts?
The Atlas comes with safety features that may reduce the cost of your insurance. These include:
- Theft alarm system
- Overhead view camera system
- Pedestrian monitoring and front assist
- Park assist
How reliable is the Volkswagen Atlas?
- Safety. The Atlas earns an NHTSA 5-star safety overall rating and a good safety rating from the IIHS. The 2018 Atlas model was an IIHS top safety pick for the year.
- Reliability. J.D. Power predicted reliability rating is about average.
- Recalls. There’s been only one safety recall in 2018 for electrical system issues. In some vehicles, there was no audible warning to let the driver know that the key was still in the ignition when the door was open.
The average insurance premium for the Volkswagen Atlas is $179 per month, which is in line with most SUVs. However, depending on factors such as fuel type, warranty and mileage, your insurance premium could vary.
Before you decide on your car insurance, compare your options to find the best fit.
Frequently asked questions about the Volkswagen Atlas
More guides on Finder
Whole life insurance vs. variable life insurance
Two permanent life insurance policies that provide lifelong coverage, though variable life is a riskier investment option than whole life.
Denied life insurance
Learn the common health reasons that lead to denials and how to get life insurance anyway.
Asbestos and home insurance
Learn when your home insurance policy would and wouldn’t pay to remove this building material.
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Is credit disability insurance right for me?
Get your loan payments covered when you experience a disability and can’t work, but with limited coverage.
Do I need disability insurance?
Who long-term or short-term disability insurance works best for, and pros and cons to buying both.
How much will I get from disability insurance?
Disability insurance typically pays out between 40% and 80% of your income, but will depend on the type of policy you have.
Heacock Classic car insurance review November 2020
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Ask an Expert