We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Volkswagen Atlas car insurance rates
Find out how much you might pay to insure this midsize SUV.
On average, expect to pay $179 a month to insure your Volkswagen Atlas. That’s around $2,148 annually, which is $500 less than its sibling, the Touareg. However, the actual amount you’ll pay depends on factors such as your driving record, your gender and age and driving activity.
Compare car insurance for your Volkswagen Atlas
How do I compare insurance for the Atlas?
How much you drive your car and whether it’s new or used can affect your premium. Other factors that come into play are:
- Body type. The Atlas is a five-door, midsize SUV and the largest vehicle produced on the Volkswagen Group MQB platform. Because of its size, the Atlas will be more expensive to insure than a sedan.
- Fuel. The Atlas is gas-powered and gets a reported 22 to 26 mpg.
- Theft rates. Theft rates aren’t yet available for the latest Atlas models. Volkswagens in general tend to have low theft rates, which could help reduce the cost of your premium.
- Maintenance. On average, you could pay $191 annually to maintain or repair your Atlas. But this largely depends on the extent of repairs. Many customers who had their Atlas repaired claim it was difficult to find parts and they waited months to get them without an estimated date.
- Coverage. Consider adding comprehensive coverage to your insurance, which can protect your Atlas against theft, vandalism, fire, natural disasters and more.
- Warranty. If you’re buying a new Atlas, you get a transferable warranty of six years or 72,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. But unlike many manufacturers, you won’t get free roadside assistance with your new Atlas.
Does the Volkswagen Atlas qualify for discounts?
The Atlas comes with safety features that may reduce the cost of your insurance. These include:
- Theft alarm system
- Overhead view camera system
- Pedestrian monitoring and front assist
- Park assist
How reliable is the Volkswagen Atlas?
- Safety. The Atlas earns an NHTSA 5-star safety overall rating and a good safety rating from the IIHS. The 2018 Atlas model was an IIHS top safety pick for the year.
- Reliability. J.D. Power predicted reliability rating is about average.
- Recalls. There’s been only one safety recall in 2018 for electrical system issues. In some vehicles, there was no audible warning to let the driver know that the key was still in the ignition when the door was open.
The average insurance premium for the Volkswagen Atlas is $179 per month, which is in line with most SUVs. However, depending on factors such as fuel type, warranty and mileage, your insurance premium could vary.
Before you decide on your car insurance, compare your options to find the best fit.
Frequently asked questions about the Volkswagen Atlas
Ask an Expert