Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
The average insurance cost of a Tesla across all models is $227 a month, or $2,724 a year. There are several factors that contribute to the high price tag: Teslas are electric vehicles, for example, and they come with higher MSRPs than the average car.
Find rates for your Tesla model
Get car insurance for your Tesla
How to compare car insurance for a Tesla
Insurance companies look at several car-related factors when determining the cost of insurance, including the car’s safety ratings, its likelihood of being stolen, and replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility.
Tesla’s high price tag and the fact that it’s an electric car increase the cost of insuring this vehicle. However, great safety ratings help to temper costs just a bit.
Other factors that affect the cost of insurance include the model, mileage and trim package. Personal factors like your driving history, credit score and age also play roles.
Most major insurers will cover your Tesla. However, prices may vary widely. Compare multiple providers to find the best price.
Tesla car insurance rates by model
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
|Tesla Model S||$227||$68,000|
|Tesla Model X||$227||$82,500|
|Tesla Model 3||$227||$35,000|
Why are Teslas so expensive to insure?
Teslas are pricey electric cars and therefore to repair after an accident. Tesla owners also typically choose higher maximum policies to protect the entire cost of the car in an accident.
Pros and cons of insuring a Tesla
- Low theft rates
- Great safety ratings
- Electric vehicles are more expensive to ensure
- Costly to repair or replace
About the Tesla brand
Today, Tesla is most closely associated with the billionaire visionary Elon Musk. Musk wasn’t involved in the company when it was created in 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. However, he’s perhaps the biggest force in bringing Tesla to prominence.
Tesla manufactures the Model S and Model X, a stylish sedan and head-turning SUV, respectively. It also sells the Model 3, a mid-priced sedan aimed at the mass market.
Where can I charge my Tesla on the road?
A standard Tesla Model 3 can take you up to 215 miles on a charge, but that’s not enough on a long distance road trip. Tesla offers two ways to charge your Tesla when you’re on the go: Destination Charging stations and Supercharger stations. Tesla’s installed over 12,000 Superchargers across the US, Europe and Asia where you can charge your Tesla up to 80% in about 30 minutes.
What’s Tesla home charging installation services?
You’re going to need somewhere to plug in your high-end electric car when you’re at home. And now Tesla offers charging installation services in select states.
Tesla car facts
- Electric cars tend to have higher insurance costs because they’re generally more expensive than gas vehicles. Tesla’s vehicles, of course, are all electric.
- The Model S and Model X are high-priced vehicles, with base costs of $74,500 and $79,500, respectively, before incentives. Accordingly, it costs more to insure them.
- Insurer AAA announced in June 2017 that it would raise its rates on Tesla cars as high as 30 percent. The company says Teslas tend to attract more-frequent and higher-cost claims.
- On Tesla’s part, the company is putting its money where its mouth is. It’s started to give select customers lifetime insurance and maintenance packages.
- You may want more than just minimum liability coverage for your Tesla, expanding your protection through an umbrella policy and comprehensive coverage.
- Tesla offers a special program for insuring your Tesla with Liberty Mutual called InsureMyTesla. Tesla drivers enjoy special rates, perks and coverage designed for Teslas.
- Tesla recently ended its refund program, in which drivers could return their new Tesla within 7 days and get a full refund with certain conditions.
Looking for other car brands? Find other car manufacturers that are similar to Tesla, or compare makes that are completely different.
A Tesla’s high price tag means that it can be expensive to insure. So be sure to shop around to find the best car insurance for you.
Frequently asked questions about Tesla
More guides on Finder
Compare garage door installation services
Plus, 6 questions to ask to find the right professional for the job.
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
How much will I get from disability insurance?
Disability insurance typically pays out between 40% and 80% of your income, but will depend on the type of policy you have.
Heacock Classic car insurance review January 2021
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
How much disability insurance do I need?
You won’t be able to replace all of your income with disability insurance, but you can buy enough to cover your biggest monthly bills.
Driving without car insurance
Since driving uninsured comes with steep penalties, look at your coverage options or consider alternatives.
Say car insurance review Jan 2021
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
How much does pet insurance cost for different dog breeds?
Track down your dog’s insurance cost and learn which characteristics play into your pup’s health risks.
Life insurance for people with anxiety
Having anxiety might result in higher life insurance rates, but you can get coverage with most companies.
Ask an Expert