We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Compare Chevrolet Equinox insurance rates
How much is car insurance for the Chevy Equinox?
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
According to our research, you’ll pay an average $134 a month to insure your Chevrolet Equinox or $1,608 a year. Your actual cost depends on your driving record, the number of miles you drive in a year, your age and gender and other factors.
The popular Equinox is one of Chevy’s mid-priced cars, which helps keep insurance rates down. Its many safety features and reasonable maintenance will also help you save on insurance.
- Pay by miles driven
- Low base rates
- Drive less, pay less
Our top pick: Metromile
Pay-as-you-go rates based on how much and how well you drive start at $29/month plus pennies per mile.
- Rates from $29/month plus pennies per mile
- Low-mileage drivers could save $611/year
- All miles over 250 a day are free
- Easy app and online claims plus 24/7 support
Get Equinox insurance quotes
How to compare insurance for the Chevrolet Equinox
When comparing insurance options for your Chevy Equinox, look beyond a specific provider to weigh:
- Price. The Chevy Equinox is a midrange car, so you might look for a happy medium between coverage options and the cost of your premium.
- Deductibles. A higher deductible for your Equinox could shave money off your insurance payment, but with a tradeoff: You’ll need the amount of your deductible on hand in case of an accident.
- Coverage. Make sure your policy covers your state’s minimum coverage requirements. If you have an upgraded trim package, consider collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Manufacturer offers. All new Chevrolet Equinox vehicles under the manufacturer’s five-year powertrain limited warranty are covered by Chevrolet’s free 24/7 roadside assistance and courtesy transportation program.
What factors affect car insurance for the Chevrolet Equinox?
The Chevrolet Equinox has been around since 2005 and is currently in its third generation. The compact SUV is known for its spacious interior and smooth ride. In 2016, there were over 242,000 sales in the United States.
The newest Chevy Equinox models come in four trim packages, and the one that you select could affect your insurance rates.
- Chevrolet Equinox L. This base model comes standard with front-wheel drive. And so you might pay more to insure the L than the LS, which offers an all-wheel drive option.
- Chevrolet Equinox LS. The LS offers limited upgrade options, but an important one is from FWD to AWD, which could save you $200 to $300 a year on insurance.
- Chevrolet Equinox LT. The LT also offers a FWD and AWD option, but each come standard with high intensity discharge (HID) front headlights and LED rear lights. Advanced driver assistance is optional with this trim package, which could help you snag a discount with some insurance companies.
- Chevrolet Equinox Premier. The Premier package is available in both FWD and AWD and includes a variety of luxury features that make it the most expensive model to buy and insure.
Does the Chevrolet Equinox qualify for insurance discounts?
Yes. The base trim package comes equipped with standard features that could help you save, including:
- An antitheft alarm system
- Traction control
- Electronic stability control
Your Chevrolet Equinox could qualify for insurance discounts if it’s an AWD model and includes driver assist technology.
Reliability and safety ratings for the Chevrolet Equinox
JD Power gives the Chevrolet Equinox 5 out of 5 stars for reliability, although the quality of the vehicle’s powertrain mechanics gets a 2 out of 5. The overwhelming majority of online reviewers report their Chevy Equinox as reliable, especially considering its modest price tag.
This vehicle also gets decent safety ratings, with a 4 out of 5 overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a good rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
There are, however, three recalls on the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox for:
- Possibility of a damaged fuel line, which could result in fire.
- Possibility of a fractured drive shaft, which could cause a vehicle rollaway and increase the risk of collision.
- Potentially improperly tempered driver and front passenger windows, which could increase the risk of injury if the glass is broken.
Chevy Equinox maintenance
A compact SUV, the Chevrolet Equinox is fuel efficient and typically cheaper to maintain than larger SUVs, trucks and luxury sports cars. Expect to pay average to below-average prices on routine maintenance like oil changes, brake pad replacement and new tires.
Your Equinox should get up to 28 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway, which is above the national average of 23 combined mpg for compact cars.
Chevrolet Equinox facts
The latest Chevrolet Equinox models are now available in gas and diesel options, but you can expect to pay a similar insurance rate for either type. While the diesel option is more fuel efficient, boasting 43 mpg on the highway, keep in mind that diesel is more expensive than gasoline and available at fewer stations.
This same Chevy diesel engine is also available in the Chevy Cruze and the GMC Terrain.
Compare Chevrolet Equinox competitors
Looking for other car brands? Compare car makes and models that are similar to the Chevy Equinox.
Expect to pay average rates to insure your Chevrolet Equinox. If you have the AWD trim package and additional safety features, you might pay less than you would to insure a 2WD model without driver assist. With above-average fuel economy and moderately priced maintenance and repairs, you could end up saving more in the long run.
With so much competition for your business, compare car insurance rates from many providers to find the best value for your coverage.
Frequently asked questions about Equinox insurance
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out:
Read more on this topic
Noblr car insurance review Noblr car insurance offers monthly premium discounts based on your safe driving habits.
Compare carshare car insurance Make sure the free insurance offered by carshare services is enough protection for you.
Compare car insurance for self-employed drivers Self-employed drivers need to balance getting the best rates with protecting their business.
Compare Allstate car insurance discounts You could save well over 30% by taking advantage of Allstate’s numerous car insurance discounts.
Compare Liberty Mutual car insurance discounts Save extra money with Liberty Mutual by taking advantage of its numerous car insurance discounts.
Which gas should you use in your car? When should you use regular, premium or E85 gas? And what if you use the wrong kind?
How does car insurance cover additional drivers? Insurance should cover drivers listed on your policy, but double-check how your company handles unnamed drivers.
Compare car insurance with accidental death benefits An accidental death benefits rider can help cover funeral expenses after a fatal car accident.
Does driver assist technology affect car insurance? Driver assist technology won’t discount your insurance premium, but it could save your life.
Ferrari LaFerrari car insurance rates You can expect to pay a lot to buy — and insure — this hybrid hypercar from Ferrari.
Ask an Expert