Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare Chevrolet Equinox insurance rates
How much is car insurance for the Chevy Equinox?
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
According to our research, you’ll pay an average $134 a month to insure your Chevrolet Equinox or $1,608 a year. Your actual cost depends on your driving record, the number of miles you drive in a year, your age and gender and other factors.
The popular Equinox is one of Chevy’s mid-priced cars, which helps keep insurance rates down. Its many safety features and reasonable maintenance will also help you save on insurance.
Discover coverage that’s broader than competitors, valuable discounts up to 30% off and perks like shrinking deductibles that reward no claims.
- Broad coverage, including for custom car parts or ridesharing
- Transparent pricing tools that help you buy within budget
- Accident forgiveness on small claims or for staying claim-free
- Stack a variety of discounts for multiple cars, autopay or homeownership
Get Equinox insurance quotes
How to compare insurance for the Chevrolet Equinox
When comparing insurance options for your Chevy Equinox, look beyond a specific provider to weigh:
- Price. The Chevy Equinox is a midrange car, so you might look for a happy medium between coverage options and the cost of your premium.
- Deductibles. A higher deductible for your Equinox could shave money off your insurance payment, but with a tradeoff: You’ll need the amount of your deductible on hand in case of an accident.
- Coverage. Make sure your policy covers your state’s minimum coverage requirements. If you have an upgraded trim package, consider collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Manufacturer offers. All new Chevrolet Equinox vehicles under the manufacturer’s five-year powertrain limited warranty are covered by Chevrolet’s free 24/7 roadside assistance and courtesy transportation program.
What factors affect car insurance for the Chevrolet Equinox?
The Chevrolet Equinox has been around since 2005 and is currently in its third generation. The compact SUV is known for its spacious interior and smooth ride. In 2016, there were over 242,000 sales in the United States.
The newest Chevy Equinox models come in four trim packages, and the one that you select could affect your insurance rates.
- Chevrolet Equinox L. This base model comes standard with front-wheel drive. And so you might pay more to insure the L than the LS, which offers an all-wheel drive option.
- Chevrolet Equinox LS. The LS offers limited upgrade options, but an important one is from FWD to AWD, which could save you $200 to $300 a year on insurance.
- Chevrolet Equinox LT. The LT also offers a FWD and AWD option, but each come standard with high intensity discharge (HID) front headlights and LED rear lights. Advanced driver assistance is optional with this trim package, which could help you snag a discount with some insurance companies.
- Chevrolet Equinox Premier. The Premier package is available in both FWD and AWD and includes a variety of luxury features that make it the most expensive model to buy and insure.
Does the Chevrolet Equinox qualify for insurance discounts?
Yes. The base trim package comes equipped with standard features that could help you save, including:
- An antitheft alarm system
- Traction control
- Electronic stability control
Your Chevrolet Equinox could qualify for insurance discounts if it’s an AWD model and includes driver assist technology.
Reliability and safety ratings for the Chevrolet Equinox
JD Power gives the Chevrolet Equinox 5 out of 5 stars for reliability, although the quality of the vehicle’s powertrain mechanics gets a 2 out of 5. The overwhelming majority of online reviewers report their Chevy Equinox as reliable, especially considering its modest price tag.
This vehicle also gets decent safety ratings, with a 4 out of 5 overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and a good rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
There are, however, three recalls on the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox for:
- Possibility of a damaged fuel line, which could result in fire.
- Possibility of a fractured drive shaft, which could cause a vehicle rollaway and increase the risk of collision.
- Potentially improperly tempered driver and front passenger windows, which could increase the risk of injury if the glass is broken.
Chevy Equinox maintenance
A compact SUV, the Chevrolet Equinox is fuel efficient and typically cheaper to maintain than larger SUVs, trucks and luxury sports cars. Expect to pay average to below-average prices on routine maintenance like oil changes, brake pad replacement and new tires.
Your Equinox should get up to 28 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway, which is above the national average of 23 combined mpg for compact cars.
Chevrolet Equinox facts
The latest Chevrolet Equinox models are now available in gas and diesel options, but you can expect to pay a similar insurance rate for either type. While the diesel option is more fuel efficient, boasting 43 mpg on the highway, keep in mind that diesel is more expensive than gasoline and available at fewer stations.
This same Chevy diesel engine is also available in the Chevy Cruze and the GMC Terrain.
Compare Chevrolet Equinox competitors
Looking for other car brands? Compare car makes and models that are similar to the Chevy Equinox.
Expect to pay average rates to insure your Chevrolet Equinox. If you have the AWD trim package and additional safety features, you might pay less than you would to insure a 2WD model without driver assist. With above-average fuel economy and moderately priced maintenance and repairs, you could end up saving more in the long run.
With so much competition for your business, compare car insurance rates from many providers to find the best value for your coverage.
Frequently asked questions about Equinox insurance
More guides on Finder
How to get life insurance after a DUI or driving offense
A poor driving record may result in higher rates on your life insurance, with some insurers turning you away altogether.
Electric vehicles in 2021: How new models, insurance rates and tax breaks affect their cost to own
See average EV insurance rates for 2021 based on Finder’s car model research, plus new models on the horizon.
How does a VIN affect car insurance?
Learn how insurance companies use identifying info from your VIN to set rates.
Compare full coverage vs. liability car insurance
Which type of car insurance policy fits your car and driving needs?
What cars are made in America?
Check out the top 50 American car models, and find out what makes them American.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Heacock Classic car insurance review March 2021
Insure your classic car or race car at agreed value with Heacock Classic, but you’ll have to look elsewhere if you have recent claims or major violations.
Say car insurance review Mar 2021
Offers a transparent look at your premiums and rewards renewal with a better insurance score.
Compare bus conversion insurance
Find and qualify for the right type of policy when living in a skoolie.
Compare Auto Insurance
Get cheap car insurance rates.
Ask an Expert