Branch App review
This free checking account features early direct deposits and free instant paycheck advances.Branch is a free checking account offering unusual perks like free instant paycheck advances and early direct deposits. But the account is currently waitlisted and it’s only targeted to hourly employees.
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and investments. She has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. Cassidy enjoys educating people about financial services, exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Expert reviewBranch is ideal for hourly employees looking for a checking account with unique features like early direct deposits and instant cash advances. The account is completely free and there are no minimum balance requirements.
But you must manage your account through the mobile app and you can only reach customer service through the contact form on its website. You can’t call or chat them if you have questions.
What are the benefits of a checking account with Branch?
When you open a Branch account, you’ll enjoy features like:
- No monthly fees. Branch never charges monthly, overdraft, ATM or membership fees.
- No minimum balance requirements. Account holders don’t have to worry about keeping a certain dollar amount in their account every month.
- Paycheck advances. Get a free instant advance on your paycheck with the Branch debit card.
- Early direct deposit. Receive your paycheck two days earlier when you have direct deposits going into this checking account.
What should I look out for?
Potential drawbacks of Branch include:
- Waitlisted debit card. You’ll need to open a Branch account and hop on the waitlist to save your spot in line.
- Employers required. Branch recommends users to sign up only if their employers are registered as there are features that are unavailable to individuals.
- Limited support. There are no physical locations to bank — you can only chat with customer support through the contact request form on its website.
- Mobile app only. Branch doesn’t have a web-based version of its service, so you’ll have to manage your account entirely from your phone.
If you think a standard checking account with a high APY is what you’re after, shop around for other options.
Branch’s ATM network and feesBranch doesn’t have an ATM network, so you’re free to use any ATM worldwide. The company doesn’t charge any ATM fees, but you’re still subject to operator fees.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I open a Branch account?
Open a Branch account and add yourself to the debit card waitlist in five steps:
- Download the official Branch mobile app from the Apple Store or Google Play Store, launch the app and click Sign Up.
- Enter your employer’s name and location and click Find My Workplace.
- Select your employer from the list and click Continue.
- Enter your name, email address and phone number and click Verify.
- Connect a bank account and add yourself to the waitlist for the Branch card.
You’ll need to meet the following requirements to open a Branch account:
- Minimum 18 years old
- An existing checking account to link to Branch
- Social Security number
Have the following information on hand when you open an account:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Employer’s name and address
- Residential address
- Social Security number
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are a few ways to deposit and withdraw money through Branch:
- Direct deposit from an employer
- External transfer from another bank
- ATM that accepts cash deposits
- ATM using your debit card
- Cashback at a retailer
- External transfer to another bank