BBVA Online Checking account review
A full-service account with convenient, surcharge-free access to 64,000 ATMs.
finder.com’s rating: 4.2 / 5.0
With the BBVA Online Checking account, you’ll have instant access to your money through mobile banking and at more than 64,000 ATMs. You could also earn cashback rewards at your choice of retailers, but you’ll pay a monthly fee for paper statements unless you adjust your account settings.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$0 per month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|ATMs||No ATM fees nationwide at more than 64,000 AllPoint, participating 7-Eleven and BBVA USA ATMs|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$38|
|New account fee||$0|
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
BBVA Online Checking account is best for those looking to manage their finances without going to a branch. This account offers cashback rewards and convenient access to more than 64,000 ATMs across the US and around the world.
However, BBVA only has branches in a handful of states, and you’ll have to pay a fee for paper statements unless you choose to opt-out.
How do I open a BBVA Online Checking account?
This account is only available online, but it’s easy to get started:
- Click Apply now.
- From the BBVA website, click Checking.
- Scroll down to Online Checking and click Apply Now.
- Enter all of your personal information, then proceed to the next step.
- Decide whether you’d like to open a BBVA Online Savings account or just fund this account.
- Review and confirm all details.
To open this account, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- Social Security number or tax ID number
- Address and contact information
- Be 18 or older
- Make an initial deposit of at least $25
- Open the account online
To apply you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Name, date of birth and address
- Social Security number or tax ID number
- Government-issued ID number
- Contact information
- Employment information
Compare BBVA Online Checking to similar accounts
We’ve gathered a quick comparison of BBVA Online Checking and similar accounts to help you decide which is the best fit for you. Click “Compare accounts” to compare even more checking accounts.
Compare even more checking accounts
What are the benefits of the BBVA Online Checking account?BBVA Online Checking is a free checking account that offers several benefits:
- No service fees. You won’t pay a monthly maintenance fee or a fee to open the account.
- Personalized debit card. For $10, you can design your debit card with your own photos or artwork, or you can choose from BBVA’s gallery.
- Cashback rewards. Activate Simple Cash Back to earn cashback when you buy from your favorite retailers.
- ClearBenefits program. This optional program offers roadside assistance, identity theft protection and cell phone protection for $4 a month.
BBVA ATM network and fees
This account comes with a Visa debit card that lets you make purchases nearly everywhere. Plus, you’ll get access to 64,000 ATMs nationwide and around the world.
- Use 1,000 BBVA ATMs in the US for free.
- Use more than 55,000 Allpoint ATMs worldwide for free.
- Use ATMs at more than 8,000 7-Eleven convenience stores for free, excluding Oklahoma, Alaska and Hawaii.
- BBVA charges a $3 fee for using an ATM outside of these networks.
- You’ll pay 1% of each transaction when you use an ATM outside the US.
- You’ll pay 3% of each transaction when you use your card outside of the US.
What should I look out for?
The BBVA Online Checking Account is a great way to manage your money, but there are a few things you should watch out for:
- Expensive fees. Watch out for the $30 outgoing domestic wire transfer fee, $15 incoming domestic wire transfer fee, $38 NSF fee, $38 overdraft fee, $12 inter-account transfer fee to cover overdrafts and other charges.
- Limited branch locations. BBVA only has branches in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico and Texas.
- Only available online. Even if you live in a state with BBVA branches, you can only open this account online.
- Paper statement fee. You’ll be charged $3 per paper statement if you decide not to get your statements online.
- Minimum deposit. This account requires an initial deposit of $25 to open.
- Not available in Alaska or Hawaii. BBVA doesn’t provide online accounts for residents of Alaska or Hawaii.
If you prefer to do your banking in person or want more out of your account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a checking account.
What other checking options does BBVA offer?
If the BBVA Online Checking account isn’t right for you, the bank also offers a few other options:
- Free Checking. A full-service checking account with online, branch and ATM access, and no monthly fees.
- Premium Checking. A standard checking account that earns 0.50% interest while your money sits in the account.
- Easy Checking. This second-chance account is designed for those who don’t qualify for BBVA’s Free Checking account. It has a $13.95 monthly fee but is otherwise identical to the Free Checking account.
- Convenience Checking. This no-frills account gives you access to BBVA’s three ATM networks and includes one out-of-network ATM rebate per month, but there’s a $9 monthly service fee if you don’t receive a $500 direct deposit or maintain a minimum daily balance of $1,500 each month.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
- By phone: 844-228-2872
- On Twitter: @BBVA_USA
- Online: Log in to your account to send a secure message.
- At a branch: Locate your nearest branch on the BBVA website.
A note for Customers of Simple Bank
In January 2021, Simple Bank announced it would be shutting down and transitioning its customers to BBVA Bank. Details about the transition have yet to be announced, but based on our interactions with BBVA support specialists, it seems likely that Simple Checking accounts are going to turn into BBVA Online Checking accounts. If this turns out to be the case, it will be a mixed bag for Simple customers.
The BBVA Online Checking account comes with a significantly larger ATM network than Simple offers, but BBVA charges several fees that Simple never did. If you’re a current customer of Simple Bank, keep an eye on your inbox for details about the transition, which will be taking place in Spring 2021.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.