A full-service account with convenient, surcharge-free access to two massive ATM networks.
With the BBVA Compass ClearConnect Checking account, you’ll have instant access to your money through mobile banking and at over 56,000 ATMs, plus potentially earn cashback rewards toward special offers — though the account doesn’t earn interest and you can only open it online.
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|ATMs||You’ll get fee-free access to over 56,000 ATMs around the world|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$3|
|Foreign transaction fee||3%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$32|
|New account fee||$0|
|Deposit methods||Cash by teller|
Cash by ATM
Check by teller
Check by ATM
Mobile/remote check deposit
What are the benefits of the BBVA Compass ClearConnect Checking account?
The BBVA Compass ClearConnect Checking is a low-fee checking account that offers a number of other benefits:
- No service fees. You won’t pay a monthly fee or to open the account.
- Personalized debit card. Design your debit card with your own art work, pictures or choose from BBVA’s gallery.
- Cashback rewards. Activate Simple Cash Back to choose how you earn cash back from the retailers you use most.
- BBVA Wallet. The BBVA Wallet app manages your payment cards and provides convenient access to them when you need it.
- ClearBenefits program. This optional program offers roadside assistance, identity theft protection and cell phone protection.
BBVA Compass ATM network and fees
This account comes with a Visa debit card that lets you make purchases nearly anywhere. Plus, you’ll get access to a network of BBVA and Allpoint ATMs.
- Use over 1,000 BBVA Compass ATMs in the US for free.
- Use over 55,000 Allpoint ATMs in the world for free.
- BBVA doesn’t list exact fees for using ATMs outside of these networks, but states that you may be charged a fee on top of any ATM-owner fees.
- You’re charged 1% of each transaction when you use an ATM outside the US.
- You’re charged 3% of each transaction when you use your card outside of the US.
What should I look out for?
The BBVA Compass ClearConnect Checking Account is a great way to manage your money, but there are a few things you should watch out for:
- No interest. Unlike some checking accounts, this one won’t earn any interest.
- Expensive fees. Watch out for the $30 outgoing domestic wire transfer fee, $15 incoming domestic wire transfer fee, $32 NSF fee, $32 overdraft fee, $12 inter-account transfer fee to cover overdrafts and other charges.
- Limited branch locations. BBVA Compass only has branches in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico and Texas.
- Only available online. Even if you live in a state with BBVA Compass branches, you can only open this account online.
- Paper statement fee. You’ll be charged $3 per paper statement if you decide not to get your statements online.
- Minimum deposit. Unlike many checking accounts, this account requires an initial deposit of $25 to open.
How do I open an account?
This account is only available online, but it’s easy to get started:
- Visit the BBVA Compass website and click Checking.
- Scroll down to ClearConnect Checking and click Apply Now.
- Enter all of your personal information, then proceed to the next step.
- Decide whether you’d like to open a BBVA ClearChoice Savings account or just fund this account.
- Review and confirm all details.
To open this account, you’ll need to meet a few eligibility requirements:
- Social Security number or tax ID number.
- Address and contact information.
- Be 18 or older.
- Make an initial deposit of at least $25.
- Open the account online.
To apply you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Name, date of birth and address.
- Social Security number or tax ID number.
- Government-issued ID number.
- Contact information.
- Employment information.
What other checking options does BBVA Compass offer?
If the BBVA Compass ClearConnect Checking account isn’t right for you, the bank also offers a few other options:
- ClearChoice Free Checking. A full-service checking account with online, branch and ATM access, and no monthly fees.
- Interest Checking. A standard checking account that earns 0.50% interest while your money sits in the account.
- Easy Checking. A simple checking account that’s designed to help you move your finances in the right direction.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
- By phone: 800-266-7277.
- On Twitter: @BBVACompass.
- Online: Log in to your account to send a secure message.
- At a branch: Locate your nearest branch on the BBVA Compass website.
With instant access to your money whenever you need it, this checking account is a great way to manage your finances. You’ll get free access to over 56,000 ATMs around the world, cashback rewards and more.
However, the account doesn’t earn interest and BBVA Compass doesn’t have many physical branches. If you prefer to do your banking in person or want more out of your account, compare your options to find a product that better suits your needs.