There are loan options available for you even if you have bad credit.
Finding a loan is tough when you have less-than-perfect credit, especially when the minimum credit requirement set by a bank puts a conventional loan out of your reach. Short-term options like payday loans can be a big help when you’re facing an emergency expense, but you’ll want to make sure you know exactly how much it’s costing you before you sign on the dotted line.
Our top pick: CashUSA
Need a quick cash loan as high as $10,000? This loan connection service could help.
- Min. Loan Amount: $500
- Max. Loan Amount: $10,000
- Loan Term: 90 days to 72 months
- Turnaround Time: As early as 1 business day
- Requirements: Must have a monthly income of $1,000+ after taxes and valid checking account.
How can I get a short-term loan with bad credit?
Short-term lenders are more concerned with your ability to repay than with your credit history. And applying for a payday loan is simple. You can choose to visit an online lender or travel to a storefront near you. Applications are usually quick, and when you’re approved, you can have your funds in as little as one business day.
Because of the quick turnaround and acceptance of bad credit, you’ll face higher interest rates and more fees. This can easily add hundreds of dollars to your loan if you aren’t careful, so read over the terms you’re given and compare your options below to make sure you’re getting a good deal.
Short-term loan providers that accept bad credit
What are the benefits of a bad credit payday loan?
- Apply without a checking account. Most lenders require you have a checking account when you reply because they use it to deposit your funds and withdraw your payments. However, you can find some lenders that offer cash loans to customers without bank accounts.
- Apply if you’re unemployed. Some payday loan lenders will consider you for a loan if you’re unemployed, as long as you’re receiving some sort of income, such as government benefits or income from pension.
- Quick turnaround. When you apply, you can have your loan deposited into your bank account in as little as one business day. If you opt for cash pickup, you may be able to get your funds on the same day.
What to watch out for
- High interest. Lenders charge borrowers with bad credit higher interest rates. Because of this, payday loans may not be legal in your state. If they are, you could have to pay APRs well above 300%.
- Disreputable lenders. Not all lenders follow state laws. Check to make sure yours is licensed, clearly outlines its terms and isn’t a scam.
- Short repayment terms. Payday loans are known for being costly because of their quick repayment schedule. Many are due within two to four weeks of being borrowed, so you’ll need to be sure you can afford it before you borrow anything.
What other options do I have for a loan?
Payday loans aren’t the only option for borrowers with bad credit. These other loans could be helpful for you if you need money.
- Auto title loans. If you have a car, you could use your title as collateral for a loan. This results in a lower interest rate, but you run the risk of losing your car if you can’t afford to repay what you borrow.
- Installment loan. Installment loans last longer than payday loans. If you know you won’t be able to pay back your loan in a few weeks, this may be a better option. However, you may end up paying more over the long run.
- Personal loans. Personal loans are harder to get if you have bad credit, but they offer the best terms as far as interest goes. However, you’ll likely need to borrow more money at once to receive financing.
- Payday alternative loans. Payday alternative loans are offered by credit unions. They are one of the best options for borrowers in need of short-term financing, but they can be harder to qualify for than other types of loans.
4 steps before you apply for a payday loan
When you’ve decided to take out a payday loan, make sure you follow these four steps to reduce your chances of rejection and to be sure you’re getting an affordable deal.
- Compare your options. It’s important to compare payday loan lenders before you settle on one. You’ll want to look at the loan amount, repayment terms and the total cost in order to find a loan that meets your needs.
- Review the eligibility criteria. While these lenders do accept applicants with bad credit, they still have minimum requirements that need to be met.
- Only borrow what you can afford. Although lenders can’t offer you more than you can pay for, the terms may still be difficult if the repayment period is too short. You should determine what you can manage and find a loan that works with your budget.
- Budget to cover your payments. When you’re approved for a loan, your repayments will generally start on your next payday. Make sure you’ve budgeted to cover the added expense.
What do I need to apply?
Most lenders require you to at least be 18 years old, a US citizen or permanent resident and have a steady source of income. Beyond that, you may need to provide some of the following information whether you apply online or in-store.
- A valid form of ID
- Your contact details
- Proof of income
- Your bank account details
Are payday loans available in my state?
A payday loan can be a good option if you’re facing an unexpected expense and have bad credit. However, high costs and quick turnaround may make one difficult to afford. Before you jump into a big loan decision, compare more payday loan options to find one that fits your needs.