A spend and save combo account with no monthly fees and free access to ATMs around the world.
With a focus on doing good, Aspiration separates itself from other financial firms by committing to donate 10% of its earnings to charity.
With this cash management account, you get to choose how much you’d like to pay in monthly service fees — if any at all. You’ll also enjoy free access to every ATM in the world, unlimited cash back on debit card purchases and up to a 2.00% annual percentage yield (APY) on your Save balance. Moreover, with its mobile app, you can check your account balance and track businesses that make a positive impact on the world.
|APY||2.00% on balances of $10,000+ or deposit $1+ each calendar month into any Aspiration cash management or investment account|
|Minimum deposit to open||$10|
|ATMs||Free to use anywhere worldwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||1%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
What are the benefits of the Aspiration Spend & Save Account?
There’s no shortage of low-fee, high-interest online accounts. But few let you support charities that change the world. Investment firm Aspiration Financial does, along with offering a number of other benefits:
Cash management services for social good.
- Charitable donations. Aspiration commits to donate 10% of its earnings to charity. It maintains multiple funds to disperse its contributions, including the Poverty Fund, Water Fund, Education Fund and Environment Fund.
- Aspiration Impact Measurement. Check the impact of your spending with its two ratings: a People Score and a Planet Score. Spend with high-scoring businesses to increase your Sustainability Score and earn extra cash back. The higher your score, the more confidence you have knowing your money is going toward improving the world.
- Referral program. When you refer a friend, Aspiration will donate $25 to the charity of your choice and another $25 to one of your friend’s.
Cash management services designed for you.
- No monthly or overdraft fees. There is no mandatory monthly service or overdraft fee for this account, and other service charges are lower than its competitors. For example, wire transfers only cost you what Aspiration pays: $0.82.
- Excellent interest rates. Aspiration offers an industry-leading interest rate. You’ll earn up to a 2.00% APY on your Save balance.
- Free ATM usage. Use any ATM in the world for free. Aspiration won’t charge fees for using ATMs and will reimburse fees charged by ATM owners.
- Unlimited cash back rewards. Earn cash back whenever you use your Aspiration debit card, with extra cash back for spending at “businesses with a conscience”.
- Low minimum opening deposit. The minimum to open an Aspiration Spend & Save Account is $10. That’s a low threshold, especially as many accounts require at least $25.
- Security. Deposits are FDIC insured up to $2 million because Aspiration sweeps account balances to multiple FDIC-insured financial institutions, which are all screened for environmental friendliness.
- Easy access. Use the Aspiration mobile app or website to access your account online, including to check your account balance, view transactions, deposit checks, transfer money, pay bills and add money to your investment account. As of January 2019, the app had improved from a 3 to a 4.9 rating in the iOS App Store, while its Android experience has garnered a 4.1 rating in the Google Play store.
What to watch out for
Here are a few things to watch out for when opening an account with Aspiration:
- No physical branches. Aspiration operates entirely online, meaning you’ll need to call or go online to contact customer service, and check deposits can only be made through your mobile app.
- Optional monthly fee. While there is no mandatory monthly fee, Aspiration makes money from donations or tips, ranging from $0 to $10.
- Limited product selection. As an investment firm, Aspiration doesn’t offer savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs and other common accounts, so you might want to keep looking if you want all your accounts at one institution. This also means you can’t link your account for overdraft protection.
Compare the Aspiration Spend & Save Account to top checking accounts
How do I apply?
You can apply for the Aspiration Spend & Save Account or a standalone Aspiration Save Account online within minutes:
1. Visit the Aspiration website and click Sign Up at the top right corner.
2. Enter your email address and click Get Started. Aspiration will send you a link to sign up for an account.
3. Open the email from Aspiration and click Join Now.
4. Create an account by entering your email address and creating a password.
5. Complete the application with information like your name, date of birth, Social Security number and employment information. Fund your account with an opening deposit and pay a fee if you’d like. Then review your deposit and submit your application.
- US citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 or older
- Have a Social Security number
- Have a permanent US address
- Personal information like your name and birthday
- Contact details including phone number and address
- Social Security number
- Employment information
How do I make deposits or withdrawals?
Despite being an online-only institution, it’s easy to access your money:
- Mobile check deposit
- Direct deposit
- Online transfers
- Wire transfers
- Visit any ATM worldwide
- Bill pay
- Wire transfer
- Online transfers
How do I contact customer service?
To get in touch with Aspiration customer service you can:
- Call: 800-683-8529
- Tweet: @Aspiration
- Email: Fill out the form on the Aspiration contact page
What other products does Aspiration offer?
Aspiration Financial is an investment broker-dealer and can help you grow your investments or save for retirement, all while donating to charity.
With a $10 minimum deposit, you can get started with Aspiration’s managed funds:
- Redwood Fund. Invest in companies that support sustainable environmental policies.
- Flagship Fund. Invest in multiple mutual funds at once to spread your risk.
Open an IRA with a $10 minimum deposit. Choose between the Redwood IRA and Flagship IRA.
Aspiration offers a versatile cash management account with a strong savings rate and almost no fees. Best of all, you’ll rest easy knowing you’re working with a socially conscious firm. It’s rare to see any company commit to donate a portion of its earnings, and Aspiration sets an admirable example. However, this company isn’t without its weaknesses — it doesn’t offer physical branches and has a limited product lineup.
But before opening an account, you should compare your options to find an account that suits your financial needs.