An interest-bearing account with no monthly fees and free access to ATMs around the world.
With a focus on doing good, Aspiration separates itself from other financial firms, donating 10% of its earnings to charity. Its Aspiration Account is also not technically a checking account, but it works much like one.
With this cash management account, you get to choose how much you’d like to pay in monthly service fees — if any at all. You’ll also enjoy free access to every ATM in the world and a 1.00% annual percentage yield (APY) on your entire balance. Moreover, with its mobile app, you can check your account balance and track businesses that make a positive impact on the world.
|Minimum deposit to open||$10|
|ATMs||Free to use anywhere worldwide|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||0%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
|Deposit methods||Mobile/remote check deposit|
What are the benefits of the Aspiration Account?
There’s no shortage of low-fee, high-interest online banks and financial institutions. But few let you support charities that change the world. Aspiration does, along with offering a number of other benefits:
Banking services for social good.
- Charitable donations. Aspiration donates 10% of your fees to charities that increase economic opportunity. It maintains multiple funds to disperse its contributions, including the Poverty Fund, Water Fund, Education Fund and Environment Fund.
- Aspiration Impact Measurement. Check the impact of your spending with its two ratings: a People Score and a Planet Score. Spend with high-score businesses to increase your Sustainability Score. The higher your score, the more confidence you have knowing your money is going toward improving the world.
- Referral program. When you refer a friend, Aspiration will donate $25 to the charity of your choice and another $25 to one of your friend’s.
Banking services designed for you.
- No monthly or overdraft fees. There is no mandatory monthly service or overdraft fee for this account, and other service charges are lower than its competitors. For example, wire transfers only cost you what Aspiration pays: $0.82.
- Excellent interest rates. Aspiration offers an industry-leading interest rate. You’ll earn a 1.00% APY on your entire balance.
- Free ATM usage. Use any ATM in the world for free. Aspiration won’t charge fees for using ATMs and will reimburse fees charged by other banks.
- Low minimum opening deposit. The minimum to open an Aspiration Account is $10. That’s a low threshold, especially as big banks usually require at least $25.
- Security. Aspiration is FDIC insured, meaning deposits up to $250,000 are protected in the event of a bank failure.
- Easy access. Use the Aspiration mobile app or website to access your account online, including to check your account balance, view transactions, deposit checks, transfer money, pay bills and add money to your investment account. As of January 2019, the app had improved from a 3 to a 4.9 rating in the iOS App Store, while its Android experience has garnered a 4.1 rating in the Google Play store.
What to watch out for
Here are a few things to watch out for when opening an account with Aspiration:
- No physical branches. Aspiration operates entirely online, meaning you’ll need to call or go online to contact customer service, and check deposits can only be made through your mobile app.
- Optional monthly fee. While there is no mandatory monthly fee, Aspiration makes money from donations or tips, ranging from $0 to $10, and it donates 10% of your optional monthly payment to charity.
- Limited product selection. Aspiration doesn’t offer savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs and other common accounts, so you might want to keep looking if you want to do all your banking at one institution. This also means you can’t link your account for overdraft protection.
Compare the Aspiration Account to top checking accounts
Consider a savings account for high interest
Aspiration’s 1.00% APY is top-notch compared to checking accounts. But if you’re looking for high interest, a savings account may be what you really want. Here are a few online banks that offer great interest rates.
|Bank||Annual percentage yield (APY)|
|American Express® Personal Savings High Yield Savings||2.10%|
|Synchrony High Yield Savings||2.05%|
|Barclays Online Savings||2.05%|
|Ally Bank Online Savings Account||2.00%|
|CIT Bank Premier High Yield Savings Account||1.55%|
How do I apply?
You can apply for the Aspiration Account online within minutes:
1. Visit the Aspiration website and click Sign Up at the top right corner.
2. Enter your email address and click Get Started. Aspiration will send you a link to sign up for an account.
3. Open the email from Aspiration and click Join Now.
4. Create an account by entering your email address and creating a password.
5. Complete the application with information like your name, date of birth, Social Security number and employment information. Fund your account with an opening deposit and pay a fee if you’d like. Then review your deposit and submit your application.
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- At least 18 or older.
- Have a Social Security number.
- Have a permanent US address.
- Personal information like your name and birthday.
- Contact details including phone number and address.
- Social Security number.
- Employment information.
How do I make deposits or withdrawals?
Despite being an online-only institution, it’s easy to access your money:
- Mobile check deposit.
- Direct deposit.
- Online transfers.
- Wire transfers.
- Visit any ATM worldwide.
- Bill pay.
- Wire transfer.
- Online transfers.
How do I contact customer service?
To get in touch with Aspiration customer service you can:
- Tweet: @Aspiration
- Email:Fill out the form on the Aspiration contact page
What other products does Aspiration offer?
Aspiration can help you grow your investments or save for retirement all while donating to charity.
With a $100 minimum deposit, you can get started with Aspiration’s managed funds:
- Redwood Fund. Invest in companies that support sustainable environmental policies.
- Flagship Fund. Invest in multiple mutual funds at once to spread your risk.
Open an IRA with a $100 minimum deposit. Choose between the Redwood IRA and Flagship IRA.
Aspiration offers an excellent interest-bearing account with industry-leading rates and almost no fees. Best of all, you’ll rest easy knowing you’re working with a socially conscious firm. It’s rare to see any company donate a portion of its profits, and Aspiration sets an admirable example. However, this company isn’t without its weaknesses — it doesn’t offer physical branches and has a limited product lineup.
But before opening an account, you should compare your options to find an account that suits your financial needs.