Aspiration Spend & Save Account review
A spend-and-save combo account with a focus on saving the planet.
finder.com’s rating: 4.8 / 5.0
With a focus on doing good, the Aspiration Spend & Save Account gives you free access to Allpoint ATMs nationwide, unlimited cash back on debit card purchases and up to a 1.00% APY on your Save balance. But you must be an Aspiration Plus member to earn the advertised rate. Otherwise, the APY is capped at 0.25%.
Minimum deposit to open
|APY||1.00% on balances of $0 to $10,000 but you’ll need to be enrolled in Aspiration Plus and make at least $1,000 in debit card purchases a month|
|Minimum deposit to open||$10|
|Intro or bonus offer||New customers get a $100 bonus when they open an account and spend $1,000 in the first 60 days|
|ATMs||Fee-free ATM withdrawals at Allpoint ATMs|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$0|
|Foreign transaction fee||1%|
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$0|
Peter Carleton is a writer that covers banking and investing, breaking down what you need to know about where you put your money. When Peter's not thinking about cutting-edge banking apps and robo-advisors, he runs a creative agency and spends his spare time cooking or reading.
Aspiration is best for those looking for an account that is also socially conscious. This versatile cash management account comes with a large ATM network and almost no fees. Best of all, you’ll rest easy knowing you’re working with a socially-conscious firm. It’s rare to see any company commit to donating 10% of its earnings, and Aspiration sets an admirable example.
However, this company isn’t without its weaknesses — it doesn’t offer physical branches and you’ll need to be an Aspiration Plus member to earn the highest advertised rate.
Must read: Aspiration Summit account
As of August 2019, all Aspiration Summit accounts have been converted to Spend & Save accounts. If you had a Summit account, your debit card and routing number will remain the same, but you will have a new account number.
If you’re a new customer, you’ll be able to open a Spend & Save account instead of a Summit account.
What are the benefits of the Aspiration Spend & Save Account?
There’s no shortage of low-fee, high-interest online accounts. But few let you support charities that change the world. The Aspiration Spend & Save Account has FDIC-insured deposits up to $2 million, as well as these benefits:
- Signup bonus. New customers get a $100 bonus when they open an account and spend $1,000 in the first 60 days.
- Aspiration Impact Measurement. Check the impact of your spending with its two ratings: a People Score and a Planet Score. The higher your score, the more confidence you have knowing your money is going toward improving the world.
- Minimal fees. There’s no mandatory monthly fee, but Aspiration does accept donations or tips, ranging from $0 to $10. You won’t pay anything for overdrafts and service charges are lower than its competitors. For example, wire transfers only cost you what Aspiration pays: $0.82.
- Earns interest. Earn up to a 1.00% APY on your Save balance.
- Free ATM usage. Use any Allpoint ATM in the US for free. Aspiration doesn’t charge fees for using ATMs outside of this network, but you’re still subject to operator fees.
- Unlimited cash back rewards. Earn cash back whenever you use your Aspiration debit card, with extra cash back for spending at “businesses with a conscience”.
Daily spending and transfer limits
There is a $1,000 daily limit for cash withdrawals from an ATM and a $4,000 daily limit for PIN purchases or any charges requiring your signature.
You’ll also be limited to a $5,000 daily outgoing transfer limit and a $1,000 daily incoming transfer limit. These limits only apply to transfers made on the bank’s online platform.
For the first 30 days after you open your account, you’ll have lower limits on ATM withdrawals, debit card purchases and transfers. Once you’ve been with Aspiration for more than 90 days, your incoming transfer limit may change depending on your account type.
What to watch out for
Here are a few things to watch out for when opening an account with Aspiration:
- Must be Aspiration Plus member to earn APY. You’ll need to pay $3.99 a month for Aspiration Plus membership and make at least $1,000 in debit card purchases a month to earn 1% APY on the first $10,000 in your account. Otherwise, you’ll only earn 0.25%.
- No physical branches. Aspiration operates entirely online, meaning you’ll need to call or go online to contact customer service, and check deposits can only be made through your mobile app.
- Limited product selection. As an investment firm, Aspiration doesn’t offer savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs and other common accounts, so you might want to keep looking if you want all your accounts at one institution. This also means you can’t link your account for overdraft protection.
If you’re looking for an account with more branch locations, you’ll want to keep looking. As always compare your options when choosing a checking account.
Compare the Aspiration Spend & Save Account to other digital bank accounts
How do I apply?
You can apply for the Aspiration Spend & Save Account or a standalone Aspiration Save Account online within minutes:
- Enter your email address and click Get Started.
- Create your password, agree to the terms and conditions and click Next.
- Enter the verification code sent to your email and click Next.
- Enter your full name and date of birth and click Next.
- Enter your Social Security number and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to complete your application, fund your account with an opening deposit and pay a fee if you’d like. Then review your deposit and submit your application.
Sign up for the Spend & Save Account when you meet these requirements:
- US citizen or permanent resident
- At least 18 or older
- Have a Social Security number
- Have a permanent US address
- Initial deposit of $10
Be prepared to give the following information when you sign up:
- Personal information like your name and birthday
- Contact details including phone number and address
- Social Security number
- Employment information
How do I make deposits or withdrawals?
Despite being online-only, it’s easy to access money in the Aspiration Spend & Save Account:
- Mobile check deposit
- Direct deposit
- Online transfers
- Wire transfers
- Visit any ATM worldwide
- Bill pay
- Wire transfer
- Online transfers
How do I contact customer service?
To get in touch with Aspiration customer service you can:
- Call: 800-683-8529
- Tweet: @Aspiration
- Email: Fill out the form on the Aspiration contact page
What other products does Aspiration offer?
Aspiration Financial is an investment broker-dealer and can help you grow your investments or save for retirement, all while donating to charity.
With a $10 minimum deposit, you can get started with Aspiration’s managed funds:
- Redwood Fund. Invest in companies that support sustainable environmental policies.
- Flagship Fund. Invest in multiple mutual funds at once to spread your risk.
Open an IRA with a $10 minimum deposit. Choose between the Redwood IRA and Flagship IRA.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.