Account essentials and no monthly maintenance fee for students.
Cost-conscious students who want the standard banking features of a traditional checking account will like the added savings of U.S. Bank’s Student Checking. But it’s limited to only 17 states.
|APY||0.10% on balances of $50,000+ |
0.06% on balances of $10,000 to $49,999
0.05% on balances of $0+
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|ATMs||3,013 branches and 5,323 bilingual ATMs|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$2.50 each after the first four every month|
Non-U.S. Bank ATM owner fees may apply unless owner participates in the MoneyPass network
|Nonsufficient funds fee||$36|
|Deposit methods||Cash by teller|
Cash by ATM
Check by teller
Check by ATM
Mobile/remote check deposit
What are the benefits of a checking account with U.S. Bank?U.S. Bank’s Student Checking account offers a Visa debit card, online and mobile banking, and free mobile check deposit. You’ll also get the following perks:
- No monthly maintenance fees. Students won’t have to pay a fee to use this account.
- No ATM fee. There’s no fee for the first four non-U.S. Bank ATM transactions per statement period.
- Free checks. The first order of U.S. Bank Student Checking logo checks are free.
U.S. Bank’s ATM network and fees
Use your U.S. Bank debit card at any of U.S. Bank’s 5,300 ATMs without paying a fee. And the bank doesn’t charge a fee for your first four transactions within the statement period made at non-U.S. Bank ATMs.
However, a fee from the ATM owner may apply — unless they participate in the MoneyPass network. Any transactions at non-U.S. Bank ATMs after your first four incur a $2.50 fee.
What should I look out for?
No account is perfect. With this one, keep an eye out for:
- Paper statement fee. Unless you enroll in e-statements, you’ll be charged a monthly paper statement fee of $2.
- Limited coverage area. New accounts are limited to residents of 17 states.
- Miscellaneous fees. You’ll be charged a $19 fee for checks you deposit or cash from an account with insufficient funds. Stop payments incur a $25 fee.
How do I open a U.S. Bank Student Checking account?
Signing up for your Student Checking account is fast and can be done online.
- Find your state and select your school from the dropdown menu.
- If you’re new to U.S. Bank, click Get Started. Otherwise, log in.
- Select whether you’re applying for an individual or joint account, then begin entering your personal information.
- Next, you’ll be asked for some financial info, including employment status and annual income.
- Verify the information you’ve entered, e-sign your documents and submit your application.
- If you’re approved, customize your options and follow the instructions to fund your account and set up online banking.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- Legal US resident
- Social Security number or tax ID
- Valid driver’s license, state or military ID
- Opening deposit of at least $25
During the application process, you’ll be asked to provide the following information:
- Name, email address and phone number
- Home address
- Social Security number
- ID number from a driver’s license, state ID or military ID
- Employment status
- Annual income
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
With U.S. Bank’s online and mobile banking, accessing your funds and making deposits is simple. Or you can visit a branch office or ATM to make a deposit or withdrawal in person.
- Online. Transfer money online between U.S. Bank accounts and external accounts.
- App. Deposit checks in the app for free at any time.
- Zelle. Use Zelle, found in your U.S. Bank app, to request or send money to friends for free.
- ATM. Deposit funds or make a withdrawal at any of U.S. Bank’s 5,300 ATMs.
- Branch office. Stop in at your local branch office to conduct business face to face.
What other checking options does U.S. Bank offer?
In addition to the Student Checking account, U.S. Bank offers the following checking accounts:
- Platinum checking. Earn interest on the money in your U.S. Bank Platinum checking account.
- Gold checking. Get the extra benefits that come with the Gold checking account when you have a credit card or loan with U.S. Bank.
- Easy checking. This basic checking account comes with standard banking features and a monthly maintenance fee.
- Safe debit account. Get many of the banking necessities — like a debit card, online and mobile banking, and mobile check deposit — without checks or overdraft fees.