U.S. Bank Standard Savings Account review
This standard personal savings account allows low balances — but don’t expect a high APY.
finder.com’s rating: 3.0 / 5.0
Looking to sock away extra money? The U.S. Bank Standard Savings Account may meet your needs. With thousands of bank locations in the US, online banking and a low monthly minimum balance, you can easily save and access your money as needed.
Minimum deposit to open
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
The U.S. Bank Standard Savings Account account is best for those looking for a low minimum required balance and ease of access. But you’ll only earn 0.01% APY on your savings.
You’ll find many other accounts offering a higher APY to help you grow your savings more quickly.
How do I open a U.S. Bank Standard Savings Account?
Sign up and fund your account online in five easy steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From U.S. Bank’s website, find the Standard Savings Account. Click Apply Online.
- Enter your personal information, employment details and how you expect to use your account.
- Choose from an individual or joint account. Click Continue.
- Confirm that you’ve read the electronic and account disclosures and review your information. Click Submit & Continue.
- Enter your funding account’s banking details, and click Continue to finalize your application.
To open a savings account with U.S. Bank, you must:
- Be a US citizen.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a US residential address.
You’ll need to provide personal and financial details that include:
- Your contact information.
- Your Social Security number.
- Your annual income and employment information.
- A valid driver’s license, state ID or military ID number.
- The account and routing number for the bank account you’ll use to fund your savings.
What are the benefits of a U.S. Bank Standard Savings Account?
True to its name, the Standard Savings Account offers basic perks without having to meet a high minimum balance.
- Nationwide ATMs. Access your savings at more than 5,300 ATMs nationwide for free.
- Flexible support. Get help in person at more than 3,000 U.S. Bank branches, or manage your account online or from your phone.
- Overdraft protection. Set up your savings as a backup balance for your U.S. Bank checking account.
What should I look out for?
Depending on your needs, you may face potential downsides that include:
- Low APY. You’re bound to beat this account’s 0.01% APY with nearly any other on the market.
- Monthly maintenance fee. If you can’t maintain a balance of at least $300 daily or $1,000 monthly, you’ll pay $4 a month to own the account.
If you prefer a higher yield savings account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a savings account.
Compare with other savings accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
U.S. Bank makes it easy to access your savings in four ways:
- In person. Withdraw money and deposit checks or cash at any of the bank’s 3,000 branches or 5,300 ATM locations nationwide.
- Online. Set up an online account to monitor your savings on the go.
- Mobile app. Manage your balance, transfer money between accounts or deposit checks from your phone.
- Zelle. Transfer to or receive money from friends and family with only an email or mobile number.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
Have a question or need assistance? Get the help you need in person or online.
- Phone. Call 800-872-2657 to speak with a rep.
- Email. Log in to your online banking account and complete a secure online form.
- Branch. Locate a U.S. Bank branch near you for face-to-face assistance during business hours.
- Online. Explore basic questions about online banking, student loans, home mortgages and credit cards.
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.