U.S. Bank Gold Checking review
Current credit card, loan or mortgage customers get access to exclusive perks.
finder.com’s rating: 2.7 / 5.0
U.S. Bank’s Gold Checking account features 100 commission-free trades per year and two fee-free Easy Checking accounts for family members. But you’re required to have a personal loan, mortgage, line of credit or credit card through U.S. Bank if you want to avoid the $14.95 monthly maintenance fee.
$14.95 per month
Minimum deposit to open
|Fee||$14.95 per month|
|To waive the fee||Open U.S. Bank personal loan, line of credit, mortgage or credit card|
|Minimum deposit to open||$25|
|ATMs||Over 5,300 ATM locations|
|ATM transaction fee||$0|
|ATM fee rebates||2 no-fee transactions per statement period at non-U.S. Bank ATMs|
|Out-of-network ATM fee||$2.50|
How do I open a U.S. Bank Gold Checking account?
Open a Gold Checking account online by following the steps below:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the U.S. Bank website, click Checking accounts under the Checking & Savings menu
- Scroll down to the Gold Checking Package section and click Apply Now
- Enter your zip code
- Either log into your existing U.S. Bank account or click Get Started
- Select whether you’re opening an individual account or a joint account, then enter your personal information
- Enter your employment status, annual income and other financial information
- Verify your info, sign and submit your application
- Once approved, follow the instructions to activate your account
You can apply for a U.S. Bank Gold Checking account as long as you meet the following criteria:
- At least 18 years old
- Legal US resident
- Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Valid driver’s license, state ID or military ID
- Opening deposit of at least $25
Have the following information handy when you open your account:
- Home address
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Government-issued ID number
- Employment status
- Annual household income
What are the benefits of a Gold Checking account with U.S. Bank?
U.S. Bank’s Gold Checking account includes online and mobile banking in addition to the following perks:
- Commission-free trades. Receive 100 commission-free trades per year through U.S. Bank’s affiliate, U.S. Bancorp Investments, if you enroll in paperless documents.
- No overdraft protection transfer fee. There’s no fee if the overdraft transfer is from a U.S. Bank consumer savings account, money market or another checking account.
- Additional checking accounts. Account holders can open two Easy Checking accounts for family members. There’s no monthly maintenance fee as long as the Gold Checking account holder co-owns the other accounts.
- Access to an exclusive savings account. The Package Money Market Savings account is for Gold Checking account holders only. It has no monthly maintenance fee, but its interest rates fall short of the competition.
- Discounts and other perks. Get a discount on closing costs and earn rewards through U.S. Bank’s Because You’ve Earned It program.
U.S. Bank’s ATM network and fees
U.S. Bank has over 5,300 ATM locations in over 40 states. You get two no-fee transactions per statement period at non-U.S. Bank ATMs. After that, you pay a $2.50 fee. All transactions at non-U.S. Bank ATMs are subject to ATM owner fees.
What should I look out for?
There are a few potential pitfalls to watch out for with the U.S. Bank Gold Checking account:
- Limited branch locations. U.S. Bank has locations in 25 states. Those wanting to bank face-to-face may find it difficult to locate a branch near them.
- Monthly maintenance fee. There’s a $14.95 monthly fee unless you have a loan, line, mortgage or credit card with U.S. Bank.
- Paper statement fee. Waive the $2 to $6 monthly fee by enrolling in e-statements.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
U.S. Bank’s online and mobile banking makes it easy to deposit and withdraw funds from your account.
- U.S. Bank mobile app
- Cash or check at ATM
- Direct deposit
- Zelle payment
- U.S. Bank branch location
- Wire transfer
- Transfer from another bank
- ATM using your debit card
- Zelle payment
- U.S. Bank branch location
- Wire transfer
- Transfer to another account
What other checking options does U.S. Bank offer?
U.S. Bank has several other checking account options, including:
- U.S. Bank Safe Debit account. A basic checking account that comes with a debit card and mobile banking, but no checks.
- U.S. Bank Student Checking account. A free checking account for students that offers waived fees on the first four non-U.S. Bank ATM transactions every month.
- U.S. Bank Easy Checking account. Waive this basic checking account’s $6.95 monthly maintenance fee if you’re 65 or older, have a minimum account balance of $1,500 or monthly direct deposits of at least $1,000.
- U.S. Bank Platinum Checking account. This top-tier, interest-bearing checking account comes with all the standard banking features, plus 100 commission-free trades per year and zero ATM transaction fees for non-U.S. Bank ATMs.
If you’re a current U.S. Bank customer looking for a checking account with commission-free trades and other perks, this account may be for you. But if you’re looking for a high-yield checking account and don’t plan to open a mortgage, line of credit or credit card through U.S. Bank, compare other checking account options before you decide.
Frequently asked questions
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.