Compare Virgin Money balance transfer offers for December 2019
With one of the best ranges of balance transfer deals going, whatever your budget and balance, Virgin Money should be on your radar.
The bank has a large range of cards with 0% deals attached, so whether you have a hefty balance that you want to move without a fee, or whether you have a low monthly budget and simply need as long as possible to clear your debt, it’s likely to have a highly competitive option for you to consider. What’s more, you’ll get a few other perks with most of these cards too, including access to Virgin Money lounges across the UK.
Don’t forget that the longest 0% deals tend to have the highest balance transfer fees, so you might not necessarily go for them. In fact, if it gives you long enough to clear your debt without paying interest, a no balance transfer fee option is a good place to start.
Virgin’s “all-round” credit cards come with 0% deals on both balances transferred and subsequent purchases, giving you added flexibility with your future spending. Some also offer a 0% money transfer, allowing you to transfer funds to your current account without paying interest on the debt.
Virgin Money 0% balance transfer credit cards
How do Virgin balance transfers work?
- The first step when applying for a Virgin balance transfer card is the “Card Checker” eligibility test. This requires a few basic personal and financial details, and a “soft search” of your credit file (which doesn’t affect your credit rating). The results of this test will give you a solid idea of what credit cards you’re likely to be approved for.
- Once you’ve decided on the most suitable card for you, apply using the straightforward online application form. This requires some more in-depth information about the cards you want to transfer balances from. This isn’t compulsory, as you can arrange a balance transfer whenever you like, although you’ll only get the 0% interest deal on those arranged within 60 days of opening the card.
- Virgin Money aims to make a decision on your application within minutes. Sometimes, the bank will need more information to make its decision, in which case it will get in touch with you straight away to request this. Once your application has been approved, your card will be delivered within 7-10 working days.
- Once your card arrives, you’ll need to activate it online or over the phone. At this point, the process of completing the balance transfers you requested during your application will begin.
How long does a Virgin balance transfer take?
Virgin Money states that it usually needs around 2-3 working days following an accepted application, although it admits this may take longer if additional checks are needed. It’s crucial that you keep up any repayments to your existing card issuer until you know the balance has been transferred – or risk hurting your credit score.
How should I compare Virgin balance transfer deals?
Here are some of the key features you’ll want to look at when deciding which Virgin Money balance transfer offer might be the best option for you.
- Length of 0% period. To select your ideal 0% period, divide your balance by the number of months within the deal. This will reveal how much you would need to pay each month to clear your debt before this introductory deal expires. If you’re able to clear the balance in less time, explore shorter deals with lower balance transfer fees.
- Balance transfer fee. This one-off fee will be expressed as a percentage of the balance that you’re transferring. The fee tends to be larger for cards with longer introductory deals.
- 0%-on-purchases deal. Some balance transfer credit cards have a 0%-on-purchases deal included as well. If this appeals, choose a card with a lengthy 0% period.
- Standard interest rate. This is the interest rate you’ll pay on purchases and balance transfers outside of any 0% introductory periods.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert