Mazda MX-5 insurance group and cost
Compare car insurance costs for your Mazda MX-5 based on your age and location.
The Mazda MX-5 is one of the most well-known sports cars you’ll see on the road. This is because it’s historically offered incredibly value for money. In this guide, you’ll learn the key facts about insuring a Mazda MX-5 and how to reduce the cost of your premiums.
Mazda MX-5 insurance groups and cost by driver’s age
When it comes to car insurance, all vehicles are given a specific insurance group that ranges from 1 (cheapest) to 50 (most expensive) which helps determine the cost of your premium. Mazda MX-5 models range from insurance groups 25 to 34, so you can generally expect the cost of your car insurance to be somewhere in the middle.
However, the difference in insurance costs between each group can vary quite a bit due to factors such as the engine size, the market-value of the vehicle and its safety and security features. For example, a 30-year-old driver in an average postcode could pay around £868 for cover on a Mazda MX-5 1.5 SE 2d (insurance group 25), or around £900 for a Mazda MX-5 SkyActiv-G 184ps GT Sport Nav+ 2d which falls in insurance group 32. In this example, the difference in price is an extra £32 per year for the sportier model that is seven insurance groups higher.
You can find the insurance group and likely premium cost of your Mazda mx5 model in the table below.
Average Mazda MX-5 insurance cost
To give you a rough idea of how much it might cost to insure your Mazda MX-5, we ran several quotes to find an average figure. Based on our results, on average, you could insure your Mazda MX-5 with a comprehensive policy for the monthly price of £93.25, or an annual sum of £1,024.23.
Mazda MX-5 insurance cost by location
The table above shows the average cost of Mazda MX-5 insurance based on insurance groups and driver age. However, a number of other factors can affect the cost of your car insurance premium, one of the biggest being your location.
To show how much your location can impact your premium, here are some average quotes for a 30-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Mazda MX-5 Skyactiv-G 1.5 132ps SE-L 2d.
- Expensive: £1,022 (London SE1)
- Average: £894 (Newcastle NE1)
- Cheap: £693 (Galashiels TD1)
Which factors affect my insurance rate?
Along with the insurance group, there are other key factors that impact your insurance premium costs:
- Engine type and capacity. In general, the bigger the engine, the higher the cost of your insurance. An average 30-year-old may pay £868 for the 1.5-litre Mazda MX-5 1.5 SE-L 2d, but could pay around £906 for the 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5 2.0 SE-L 2d.
- Driver location. Where you live helps determine the level of risk that your car may be stolen or you’ll be involved in an accident, and this affects the cost of insurance. For example, a 30-year-old in central London may pay £1,010 for insurance for a Mazda MX-5 1.5 Sport Nav 2d, while the same 30-year-old in Newcastle may only pay £882.
- Driver age. Your age is one of the biggest factors that determines the cost of your car insurance. In general, the younger you are, the more risk you represent to insurers, and the more you’re likely to pay for insurance. The average 20-year-old driver in London may pay £1,778 for the Mazda MX-5 Skyactiv-G 1.5 132ps SE-L 2d, while the average 40-year-old Londoner will only pay £932.
Other factors that influence the cost of your insurance include:
- Your marital status
- Your credit history and job
- Your car’s safety rating score
- The model of your car
- The age of your car
- Your car’s security and any extra anti-theft precautions
- Annual miles driven
- Your driving history and activity
- No claim discount
Mazda MX-5 facts and trivia
- The Mazda MX-5 sold its 1 millionth unit in April 2016.
- The vehicle was originally manufactured in Hiroshima, Japan.
- The car’s convertible roof operates at speed of up to six miles per hour.
You can expect to pay a reasonable amount to insure an Mazda MX-5, although you’ll be able to reduce your premiums using the tips in this guide.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Pulsar insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Pulsar falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Navara insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Navara falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Roadster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Roadster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jaguar XE insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jaguar XE falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Honda Accord insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Honda Accord falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Saab 9-3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Saab 9-3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mazda 5 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mazda 5 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert